Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: most desireable?
Pacific Northwest 14 10.94%
Southwest (including California) 23 17.97%
Midwest 20 15.63%
South 12 9.38%
North 5 3.91%
Northeast 37 28.91%
Alaska, Hawaii 1 0.78%
Southeast 16 12.50%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 05:07 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I know what you mean, took words right out of my mouth. I think living in Chicago before, and Paris for awhile before that, just ruined a lot of cities for me, that had I not lived in the two above prior, I'd have better feelings about.
This is precisely how I feel about the Bay Area.

I've traveled and lived all over the world and everywhere has its pluses and strong points-but I always feel like everywhere else falls short in some way.

If its not the weather or scenery that is lacking, its the urban sophistication and vibrant downtown that isnt good enough, or if its not that than its the racial and/ or ethnic diversity that is scant, and ifs its not that, its something else and so on.

In other words, Im glad that Im living in New York now because my only complaint in NYC is the weather-other than that, Im in heaven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 06:35 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

I've traveled and lived all over the world and everywhere has its pluses and strong points-but I always feel like everywhere else falls short in some way.

If its not the weather or scenery that is lacking, its the urban sophistication and vibrant downtown that isnt good enough, or if its not that than its the racial and/ or ethnic diversity that is scant, and ifs its not that, its something else and so on.

In other words, Im glad that Im living in New York now because my only complaint in NYC is the weather-other than that, Im in heaven.
Yeah I have seen your posts, and know vaguely about you. NYC and SF definitely foot the bill for what you are looking for.

To me there is nothing WRONG with having a place that fits you at all. It is just maximizing life.

How long are you in NYC for? Would be interested to see how you still feel after 2-3 years living the Manhattan life If you can afford it and living it up, places like that change you for sure, and you never really come out of it the same person as you were when you entered.

If the balance natural scenery + weather + urban and sophistication is what you value highest, sf wins for the u.s. and most cities in the world for that matter. The natural scenery and weather aren't huge factors for me, I like the bigger urban cities (and will deal with the poorer weather and lack of nature access) so SF isn't my #1 but it is up there still.

My dad likes hanging on the beach, doing much of nothing besides relaxing in Florida and going out on his boat, that is not for me, but I know some people love it.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:37 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,184,507 times
Doing much of nothing = the good life lol.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:50 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Quote:

Your living in New York now?

I am actually kind of disappointed because you were providing a good source of information on the Bay area. But at the same time I hope you like the Big Apple!

Old 05-28-2010, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Your living in New York now?

I am actually kind of disappointed because you were providing a good source of information on the Bay area. But at the same time I hope you like the Big Apple!
Thanks.

I spent a year in NYC a long time ago and it was awesome(and its good to know that its still amazing), now Im in the NYC area for good-probably till Im old and gray...LOL

Im actually moving to Alpine, NJ next week tho-can't hardly wait.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:06 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
moving to the northeast for me would be the worst., no desire to live in the concrete jungles. planning on retiring to Montana sometime in the next few years.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:07 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Quote:
Thanks.

I spent a year in NYC a long time ago and it was awesome(and its good to know that its still amazing), now Im in the NYC area for good-probably till Im old and gray...LOL

Best of luck in your move! Hope all goes well.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:13 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Quote:
Thanks.

Alpine! NICE!

While living in the city is great, if you live in the right suburb, where it is still easy to get to the city, you can have your cake and eat it too.

Btw there is nothing to replace the California scenery, but since you are moving to Alpine, look up "Palisades Interstate Park", "The Long Path" and the "New York-New Jersey Trail Conference". Cannot replace the Coast Range but it might help.

Good luck!

Old 05-28-2010, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
How long are you in NYC for?
I've lived out of suitcases for several years and until recently was splitting my year between the Bay Area and Brazil-it sucked to be flying all the gosh darn time to be honest.

Until some major reshuffling was done at my job and so now Im in New York, looking to make the NYC area my permanent home.

Quote:
Would be interested to see how you still feel after 2-3 years living the Manhattan life If you can afford it and living it up, places like that change you for sure, and you never really come out of it the same person as you were when you entered.
Yes, City Life can be hectic--which is why Im packing up and moving across the Hudson to a small town called Alpine. My dog and I are going to be very happy.

Quote:
My dad likes hanging on the beach, doing much of nothing besides relaxing in Florida and going out on his boat, that is not for me, but I know some people love it.
Ya know, when you find a place that you love and are able to live there-there's nothing better.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Alpine! NICE!

While living in the city is great, if you live in the right suburb, where it is still easy to get to the city, you can have your cake and eat it too.

Btw there is nothing to replace the California scenery, but since you are moving to Alpine, look up "Palisades Interstate Park", "The Long Path" and the "New York-New Jersey Trail Conference". Cannot replace the Coast Range but it might help.

Good luck!
oh ur preaching to the choir my friend.

I used to live in Nyack a few years back and that drive down the Palisades Parkway and the view of the City is simply breathtaking. And in the fall, the colors are so beautiful.

Never mind the Coast Ranges. California will always be my heart-but there's plenty of room in there for my new home as well.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City