Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 10:26 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
Look, racism goes on everywhere it's not just a regional thing. As I said I am from the NY/NJ area and remember hearing about Italian guys beating the crap out of black kids who were walking through the Bensonhurst section of Brooklyn, New York. Stuff like that happens everywhere, but I posted those pics to just prove that Boston isn't so "open" as people think it is.
Hatred for other kind of people is everywhere, you're right. Jerusalem, Istanbul, Mumbai, Shanghai, anywhere you can name has it.

To the poster hating: Get real, go back to school apparently you never read your history books. The one track mind is a dangerous mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 10:28 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,956,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -.- View Post
This is true #fact
People in New England are pretty racist

Old 05-28-2010, 10:30 PM

Quote:
t Italian guys beating the crap out of black kids who were walking through the Bensonhurst section of Brooklyn, New York.
Yea I heard about that, I don't think blacks and italians ever got along too well in general.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:32 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Quote:
People in New England are pretty racist
There are 14 million people in New England.

Not saying there are no racists there but I am saying don't spread sterotypes about millions of people you never met.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:33 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post

Not saying there are no racists there but I am saying don't spread sterotypes about millions of people you never met.
Totally agree. Never a good thing to paint with such a broad brush.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:36 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,184,507 times
Quote:
Yea I heard about that, I don't think blacks and italians ever got along too well in general.
I'm half Italian and I have black friends, but yeah Italians and blacks in general have had a bad history. Its not just Italians though, white people in general and black people have always had some sort of beef throughout history.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:37 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,784,244 times
Quote:

Another Boston resident.
Oh except she's a Tea Partier-all of whom are racist, ALL of them. If she is even a Bostonian...

Listen, hate crimes happen everywhere, and Boston and New England certianly are not bastions of perfection. Do I love where I'm from? Of course, as much as a Texan loves Texas.

On the same day as the 1974 Busing Incident in the South Boston, where the National Gaurd was deployed, I can show you an image of an African-American child and a White child holding hands as they enter a Springfield elementary school in the same exact day.

It was New Englanders who instigated abolition and eventually the Civil War, it was New Englanders who fought first for women's right to vote. New England states were the first states to grant civil unions and marriages to gay couples.

All one needs to do is visit Northampton, Amherst, Provincetown or the South End of Boston to see liberalism in action.

We're a region that is always striving towards somethinng greater, even if we don't know it at the time, even if there are some growing pains along the way.

I just want the OP to provide some sources and methods.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:42 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,184,507 times
^ Basically your second paragraph is like how I started off one of my posts in here saying that there is racism everywhere this is true. The only reason why I felt like I had to say something was because it seemed like you were a little bit superior in that first post of yours saying things like "under-educated" which is basically just feeding into that New England stereotype that a lot of people have come to know.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:43 PM

Quote:
I'm half Italian and I have black friends, but yeah Italians and blacks in general have had a bad history. Its not just Italians though, white people in general and black people have always had some sort of beef throughout history.
My great grand parents we're Italian, but I've never had any Italian friends, mainly because there isn't a lot here in D.C., but idk black people seem to have some sort of beef with every race on this planet when it comes history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post

You get a different type of racism in New England, and the north for that matter.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:45 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
Oh except she's a Tea Partier-all of whom are racist, ALL of them. If she is even a Bostonian...

Listen, hate crimes happen everywhere, and Boston and New England certianly are not bastions of perfection. Do I love where I'm from? Of course, as much as a Texan loves Texas.

On the same day as the 1974 Busing Incident in the South Boston, where the National Gaurd was deployed, I can show you an image of an African-American child and a White child holding hands as they enter a Springfield elementary school in the same exact day.

It was New Englanders who instigated abolition and eventually the Civil War, it was New Englanders who fought first for women's right to vote. New England states were the first states to grant civil unions and marriages to gay couples.

All one needs to do is visit Northampton, Amherst, Provincetown or the South End of Boston to see liberalism in action.

We're a region that is always striving towards somethinng greater, even if we don't know it at the time, even if there are some growing pains along the way.

I just want the OP to provide some sources and methods.
Your tone now is a lot more respectful to your peers on CD. I commend your change of heart and your change in tone. Nice work.

Yes, and those are all marvelous things, but greatness can be achieved anywhere, do you not think for Atlanta to be the "Black Mecca" it is today, they had to change their original pre-Civil war routines? They did.

Houston is the largest city to have an openly gay female Mayor, which is a lot for the same Southern city that gets a lot of heat from it's states history in the Civil War.

Texas has a lot of messed up places, and that's something they're trying to change. They're trying. No place is perfect. But it's not just New England taking the march to progression alone, the whole country is doing it together.

And that's what being American truly is about, being proud of where you come from as a country, and changing the world for the better.

Those redneck hicks in Eastern Texas and the panhandle haven't gotten the memo yet (not saying everyone there is a redneck but there's a lot of racism there) but they will some day.

Every year our state gets closer and closer to being a Democratic state, Republicans themselves have stated how they fear the loss of Texas this decade.

The whole country wants to change, and it's happened one step at a time.

You just have to be open minded about it, and be open to everyone else's background. Imagine how I feel, as a Chicagoan and South Asian the day my parents told me we're moving to Houston?

I learned to accept it, and I love the place. It's got it's bad but it's got a lot of good, and hey, it's home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City