Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 11:48 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
I just want the OP to provide some sources and methods.
The OP stated in his first post what his sources were.

Quote:
compiled numbers off of the FBI's Hate Crime Statistics compared to the 2009 Census Estimates.
From there it seems like it was simple math.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 12:16 AM

7 posts, read 18,278 times
Quote:
Well, thanks, I guess, although none of your approvals are necessary. Freedom of speech, it alive and well.

I wrote that stuff about New England as a response to some posters who would condemn the 14million of us, when in fact our history would suggest otherwise. It's called formulating an argument. But yes, I'm fully aware of some of the terrible events in Boston's history-of course Boston is not Massachusetts, nor is it New England, just as a point of preference. But those events were at least a decade before I was born, so my life in Massachusetts as been, shall we say quiet, on the Hates Crimes front.

Besides people come on here, and every chance they get, they'll beat up on New England, all I need to do is dig out posts from yesterday. I might "personally" dislike regions of the country, but I would never personally attack someone because of where they live.

See, you all think I am acting superior, because I'm arguing with you, superior because I'm from New England. You had decided at some point in the past that we're rude, snotty people, with a Harvard education. When merely I was questioning the OP's stats and methods. He could be totally right.

In all honestly it probably has more to do with urban populations versus rural. I wouldn't expect hate crimes in Vermont, but in LA, one could only imagine.

Then you have to ask, who is committing these crimes and then against whom. Again, crime in Massachusetts is pretty much limited to the inner inner cities.
Just quit while you are behind... your intolerance and ignorance are embarrassing the mostly good people of New England

Old 05-29-2010, 12:31 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
So if Pennsylvania is as "backwards" as many random, fly-by-night morons claim it is, then they need to explain to me why people are least likely to be victims of hate crimes there.

Don't worry; I won't hold my breath waiting for a logical explanation.

Old 05-29-2010, 01:10 AM

2,347 posts, read 2,784,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGodfatherInThe713 View Post
Just quit while you are behind... your intolerance and ignorance are embarrassing the mostly good people of New England
Thanks for your very late two cents. Excuse while I take me and my superior attitude to bed.

Old 05-29-2010, 03:30 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,058,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
The OP stated in his first post what his sources were.

From there it seems like it was simple math.
Jeez sorry I fell asleep but yes I did state this and yes it was actually rather simple math especially since at least the portion from the FBI was downloadable as a spreadsheet.

As I did say the Bottom 5 were posted only as raw numbers, for all I know like Mississippi, Alabama, New Mexico, and Nebraska the Mass numbers could be a very small percentage of the population. Since there is so much discussion I will check.

Mass had 333 incidents reported
Mass had 6,397,091 population covered
Mass's current census puts the total population at 6,593,587
The percentage of the population covered was thus 97%
With a chance of 1 in 19,801 to be the victim.
For further clarrification:
Mass had:
168 crimes based on Race
60 crimes based on Religion
66 crimes based on Sexual Orientation
34 crimes based on Ethnicity
5 crimes based on Disability

Old 05-29-2010, 08:17 AM

2,023 posts, read 4,187,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
No. Look into our Governor's immigration policy. He's cool with immigrants coming from Mexico to make a living here. He encourages it.

The cities here are nearly 25% Black, there's no hatred for them. Some of the Houston posters on CD are African American, if they felt hated in Texas, they wouldn't be so proud of it.

Just saying... these stereotypes and whatnot are getting a bit old. Do people in Boston still do their hair like this and dress like this;

Now now, what would this world be like if all stereotypes were still true?
lol! OmShahi, I think he was being sarcastic and making fun of how this info disproves the stereotype. I think you two are on the same page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...omb/boston.jpg

A black man held by a white man, about to what appears to be stabbed with the American flag by another white man in Boston. That city has been known to be racist even with it's super liberalism.
I remember seeing that photo in a college history class when we went over the civil rights movement. Honestly, I had no idea Boston still had so much racial tension.

Old 05-29-2010, 08:31 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,969,062 times
Quote:
I'll be sure to be thinking of these posts the next time an African American man is chained to the back of a truck, a gay person is tortured, strapped to a fence....oh wait, those happened in Texas and Wyoming....how the hell did those states end up in the top 5? These events weren't generations ago, they were last decade, if I recall. These are the same states that teach that creationism is fact and Darwin was some heathen infidel...

I was just pointing out that what was pointed out and accepted here seems to go against conventional wisdom. The mark of a decent education is to question. The OP didn't even list a source. But you conservative hacks, who hate the liberal northeast anyway [so you need no excuse], were just looking for a reason to attack someone who question these findings, also seeing has how the OP his doing the math himself, rather than just quoting a source. How do you know he's right?

Seeing has how I actually live here [and you don't], the only crime that is committed it usually minority on minorty, inner city stuff. Gay bashing, race bating, sexual assaults are of such rarity up here. Seriously. I know this must come as a shock, but yeah, we actually have laws against hate crimes. I believe it took the James Byrd event in Texas for them to pass a Hate Crimes law.

I've never seen a white on black crime, or a hetero on gay crime. I've lived in MA for 24 years. Even my parents remind me/brothers how thankful we ought to be for living in a tolerant region, as compared to the rest of the nation.
People like you are the reason I stopped identifying as a liberal and now have no political affiliation. Both sides are full of knuckleheads who are so convinced they are perfect and the other side is the source of all the problems in the world.

Old 05-29-2010, 08:52 AM

3 posts, read 5,295 times
Last month in Boston

Lynn Man Arrested In Racist Attack On MBTA Worker - wbztv.com (http://wbztv.com/local/arrest.racist.attack.2.1648710.html - broken link)

Old 05-29-2010, 09:43 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times
I think what everyone should realize is that hate crimes do, indeed, know no state boundaries. There are some people who like to claim that their areas/regions are more tolerant than others. While that may be true on the surface, I think racism/sexism/homophobia/etc. is common enough everywhere to make every place a lot more similar than it is different. This red state vs. blue state nonsense doesn't change the fact that every place has much more room for improvement, whether it is more diversity or more integration.

I wish there was a place that was a true social utopia, but unfortunately that does not exist -- even in the depths of our largest city filled to the brim with diversity (New York City); the most prestigious, world-renown American college town (Cambridge, Mass.); or a city that has a strong track record for being on the forefront of gay rights (San Francisco).

Additionally, if you look at the last five hate crimes committed on Southern Poverty Law Center's Hate Crime section, each incident represents every region of the country: Oregon, Maine, Indiana, New Mexico and Georgia:

Stand Strong Against Hate | Southern Poverty Law Center

My overall point is that all of America -- not just the supposedly more "tolerant" parts -- can do a lot more to encourage not just diversity but full acceptance of all people. That these types of crimes happen anywhere should be a reflection on all of us as Americans, as opposed to perpetuating inane regional stereotypes that clearly have no merit, anyway.

Last edited by Duderino; 05-29-2010 at 09:53 AM..

Old 05-29-2010, 10:00 AM

2,347 posts, read 2,784,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I think what everyone should realize is that hate crimes do, indeed, know no state boundaries. There are some people who like to claim that their areas/regions are more tolerant than others. While that may be true on the surface, I think racism/sexism/homophobia/etc. is common enough everywhere to make every place a lot more similar than it is different. This red state vs. blue state nonsense doesn't change the fact that every place has much more room for improvement, whether it is more diversity or more integration.

I wish there was a place that was a true social utopia, but unfortunately that does not exist -- even in the depths of our largest city filled to the brim with diversity (New York City); the most prestigious, world-renown American college town (Cambridge, Mass.); or a city that has a strong track record for being on the forefront of gay rights (San Francisco).

Additionally, if you look at the last five hate crimes committed on Southern Poverty Law Center's Hate Crime section, each incident represents every region of the country: Oregon, Maine, Indiana, New Mexico and Georgia:

Stand Strong Against Hate | Southern Poverty Law Center

My overall point is that all of America -- not just the supposedly more "tolerant" parts -- can do a lot more to encourage not just diversity but full acceptance of all people. That these types of crimes happen anywhere should be a reflection on all of us as Americans, as opposed to perpetuating inane regional stereotypes that clearly have no merit, anyway.

This is a great post!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City