Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 10:06 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,058,038 times

Advertisements

Yes it is a great post and I'm glad to see this information is being more or less well received. Posts like that are what I was hoping for - breaking the stereotypes and myths that people spread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 10:39 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Oh I haven't checked them for what percentage of the population was covered but the bottom 5 states raw are (best to worst)
1. Massachusetts
2. Michigan
3. South Dakota
4. Delaware
*D.C.
5. New Jersey
I was surprised to see Nj THAT low--I know there is racism here, but there is also a lot of tolerance and acceptance, since we have such a diverse population.

Then I clicked on the SPLC's Hate Map, which lists the groups, and I see we have a lot of both Neo-Nazi groups and Black Separatist groups. As far as I know, I don't know any Neo-Nazis personally, and the only Black Separatist I know of is the step-son of a woman I work with, and only because she told me about him (he criticizes her for working in a "white" environment--i.e., a public sector office job, and for giving her son a "white" name like Robert.)

Maybe we should gather some up from these two groups, put them in the new Meadowlands Stadium, and let 'em fight. Charge admission, allow gambling--hey, Jersey's broke, it's just a thought.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:44 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Yes it is a great post and I'm glad to see this information is being more or less well received. Posts like that are what I was hoping for - breaking the stereotypes and myths that people spread.
Back in the 1940's, my grandfather warned my mother not to date/marry Italians because Italian men all have sex with their daughters. It sounds ridiculous, but he believed this, and so probably did a lot of other people at the time.

The best way to break stereotypes is to get to know other people as individuals--but we first have to get past our programming to even allow that to happen.

Old 05-29-2010, 11:08 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Maybe we should gather some up from these two groups, put them in the new Meadowlands Stadium, and let 'em fight. Charge admission, allow gambling--hey, Jersey's broke, it's just a thought.
Would have been better to put them in the old stadium and then implode it as they brawled.

Old 05-29-2010, 11:09 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,814,516 times
I hate the term "Hate Crime" as if murdering or attacking someone is ever because you like, let alone love that person.

Old 05-29-2010, 11:14 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
I hate the term "Hate Crime" as if murdering or attacking someone is ever because you like, let alone love that person.
I've always thought that it was a flawed legal concept...to give the crime more weight because of what may or may not have going on in the assailant's mind at the time of the murder. Isn't the act itself enough?

Old 05-29-2010, 11:22 AM

758 posts, read 2,240,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Understandable. So what would you call a group of young men that randomly went around looking looking to victimize individuals of another race? It's not just thugery at that point. It's not just gang violence.

Homicides that are gang related or are family related or business related(drugs, prostitution, etc) are in a different category than homicides related to racial hatred. Victims of racially charged crimes rarely get themselves into precarious situations on their own, whereas with drugs and prostitution...well, they kind of do. (we can have another thread about the "kind of", LOL)

I do agree, however, that murders of all kind are a tragedy. But there's nothing more humiliating... or nothing more upsetting to socal cohesion, than a racially charged crime, especially if it's a murder... because the potential for creating racists on the victim's side of the family is huge.

THAT'S WHY IT'S GIVEN MORE ATTENTION. NOT BECAUSE IT IS ANY MORE DESPICABLE THAN ANY OTHER CRIME, BUT BECAUSE IT IS A THREAT TO PEACE AND SOCIAL COHESION IN SOCIETY.

Murders or crimes committed outside of racial prejudices still are a threat to social cohesion, but will not galvanize a who group of people into chaos. Take the Rodney King example in Los Angeles. Cops are jerks in ALL cities, and who hasn't gotten hassled by the police? But in this case, they SPECIFICALLY brutalize him (was he guilty? maybe, but did he deserve what he got? I would say no) because of his race, and this upset the already racial uneasiness in the area.

Same thing in Jasper, Texas. It was 3 men who singled out a man and murdered him because of his race and nothing else. This upset race-relations in a part of the country still grappling with a racist past. Now... if the three white men knew the black man, and the black man had stiffed them out of a business deal, or if the black man had for whatever reason wronged one of them... it wouldn't be AS big a threat. Black folks in the community wouldnt feel fear. White folks wouldnt feel fear of retaliation from black folks. It was a personal matter... and the fact of the matter is, most murders in this country are.

Last edited by joelaldo; 05-29-2010 at 11:32 AM..

Old 05-29-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I've always thought that it was a flawed legal concept...to give the crime more weight because of what may or may not have going on in the assailant's mind at the time of the murder. Isn't the act itself enough?
I agree.
That's the real change America needs. A murder is a murder, I don't think it makes a difference what color/status the victim was- How is exploiting these "hate crimes" and blowing them way out of proportion, as if a white man (for example) having personal issues with a black man is never going to happen?
Once America starts realizing the fact that not every altercation between to races/statuses isn't always due to racism/prejudice, than I'll see actual tolerance.

Old 05-29-2010, 11:34 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,950,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelaldo View Post
Understandable. So what would you call a group of young men that randomly went around looking looking to victimize individuals of another race? It's not just thugery at that point. It's not just gang violence.

Homicides that are gang related or are family related or business related(drugs, prostitution, etc) are in a different category than homicides related to racial hatred. Victims of racially charged crimes rarely get themselves into precarious situations on their own, whereas with drugs and prostitution...well, they kind of do. (we can have another thread about the "kind of", LOL)

I do agree, however, that murders of all kind are a tragedy. But there's nothing more humiliating... or nothing more upsetting to socal cohesion, than a racially charged crime, especially if it's a murder... because the potential for creating racists on the victim's side of the family is huge.

THAT'S WHY IT'S GIVEN MORE ATTENTION. NOT BECAUSE IT IS ANY MORE DESPICABLE THAN ANY OTHER CRIME, BUT BECAUSE IT IS A THREAT TO PEACE AND SOCIAL COHESION IN SOCIETY.

Murders or crimes committed outside of racial prejudices still are a threat to social cohesion, but will not galvanize a who group of people into chaos. Take the Rodney King example in Los Angeles. Cops are jerks in ALL cities, and who hasn't gotten hassled by the police? But in this case, they SPECIFICALLY brutalize him (was he guilty? maybe, but did he deserve what he got? I would say no) because of his race, and this upset the already racial uneasiness in the area.

Same thing in Jasper, Texas. It was 3 men who singled out a man and murdered him because of his race and nothing else. This upset race-relations in a part of the country still grappling with a racist past. Now... if the three white men knew the black man, and the black man had stiffed them out of a business deal, or if the black man had for whatever reason wronged one of them... it wouldn't be AS big a threat. Black folks in the community wouldnt feel fear. White folks wouldnt feel fear of retaliation from black folks. It was a personal matter... and the fact of the matter is, most murders in this country are.
That's probably the best defense of the hate crime laws that I've ever read. Kudos to you.

Old 05-29-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelaldo View Post

I understand what you're saying, but who's to blame a whole race based on an individuals charges? There's plenty of history and racial charged crimes but it seems that most incidents between two races are blown up into a racist incidents. In today's society anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City