Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 01:28 PM

11 posts, read 17,173 times

Advertisements

1. Ala Moana - Honolulu, Hawaii
2. Fashion Valley Mall - San Diego, CA
3. Forum Shops at Ceasers - Las Vegas, NV
4. Westfield Garden State Plaza - Paramus, NJ
5. Mall at Millenia - Orlando, FL
6. The Mall at Short Hills - Short Hills, NJ
7. Queens Center - Elmhurst, NY
8. Roosevelt Field - Garden City, NY
9. Westfield San Francisco Centre - San Francisco, CA
10. Scottsdale Fashion Square - Scottsdale, AZ

America's Most Profitable Malls - Rick Newman (usnews.com)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 01:31 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,204,494 times
Good to see New Jersey, New York, and Orlando up there. Keep profiting!

Old 05-30-2010, 01:54 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,849,204 times
I assumed the The Garden State Plaza would be up there, but I though the Palisades Mall would be up there too. I wouldn't doubt The Garden State Plaza would be near, if not #1 if it wasn't for its blue laws that prohibits shopping on Sundays (due to religious diversity)

I guess the no sales tax on clothing gives the GSP the big boost.

Old 05-30-2010, 02:00 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,263,400 times
No surprise about Ala Moana, Forum Shops, or Mall at Millenia. They all serve huge tourist markets.

But WTG Fashion Valley! After their renovation 13 years ago, it definitely stepped up as my favorite mall in my old hometown.

Queens Center is no surprise. It's the only enclosed mall for miles in a borough of 2.2 Million people. I took the train out to visit a friend of mine in Elmhurst, Queens when I was in NYC a few weeks back, and we decided to meet at Queens Center because it was raining. Anyhow, the mall was super packed for a Tuesday afternoon. Yes, because of the rain, but it also seems that Queens Center has just about everything you need outside of luxury shopping. It's also where Queens Blvd, Woodhaven Blvd and the LIE converge, not to mention several bus lines and the E, R, and V trains have a stop. It's a long haul from Manhattan, so many locals in Queens would rather go there than go to The City to shop. So, tons of people converge there.

Old 05-30-2010, 02:08 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,457,886 times
Just a note that this is only a list for public malls.

The Mall of America in Minneapolis for example is privately owned by the Ghermezian family.

California's upscale South Coast Plaza has the second highest sales per square foot in CA and largest profit in CA, but doesn't appear on the list because the Segerstrom family owns the mall privately.

Last edited by missionhome; 05-30-2010 at 02:19 PM..

Old 05-30-2010, 02:12 PM

36,693 posts, read 67,721,788 times
South Coast Plaza has long been the most profitable mall in California. It has the most profitable mall in California. However, this is an interesting development. Im guessing its due to the bad economy.

Still, I have a hard time believing that SF Center outsells SCP. Valley Fair in San Jose and Stanford Center in Palo Alto are also NorCal malls that usually beat out The City in sales per sq ft. Guess times have changed.

Although, San Francisco Center is very unique among this bunch in that its in the heart of a major Downtown that is home to the 2nd biggest Bloomingdale's and 2nd biggest Nordstrom.

Old 05-30-2010, 02:18 PM

36,693 posts, read 67,721,788 times
Thanks for the perspective Missionhome.I found the absence of South Coast Plaza from this list to be very strange.

Old 05-30-2010, 02:18 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,457,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
South Coast Plaza has long been the most profitable mall in California. It has the most profitable mall in California. However, this is an interesting development. Im guessing its due to the bad economy.

Still, I have a hard time believing that SF Center outsells SCP. Valley Fair in San Jose and Stanford Center in Palo Alto are also NorCal malls that usually beat out The City in sales per sq ft. Guess times have changed.

Although, San Francisco Center is very unique among this bunch in that its in the heart of a major Downtown that is home to the 2nd biggest Bloomingdale's and 2nd biggest Nordstrom.
South Coast Plaza doesn't appear on their list because it is privately owned by the wealthy Segerstrom Family of Newport Beach. This list was calculated only using "publicly owned malls" by companies like Westfield, Simon, etc...

So no, SF Center doesn't outsell SCP. SCP just doesn't appear in this list because they only used public malls in their research.

EDIT: LOL, you saw my original post Montclair, nevermind.

Old 05-30-2010, 02:20 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,263,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
Just a note that this is only a list for public malls.

The Mall of America in Minneapolis for example is privately owned by the Ghermezian family.

California's upscale South Coast Plaza has the second highest sales per square foot in CA, but doesn't appear on the list because the Segerstrom family owns the mall privately.
Okay, that makes sense. I was wondering how and why Fashion Valley was beating South Coast Plaza and why SCP wasn't on the list.

Northpark in Texas wouldn't be on here either, since it's not owned by a REIT either.

Last edited by grindin; 05-30-2010 at 02:34 PM..

Old 05-30-2010, 02:21 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,933,198 times
In 2006, Washington Square Mall near Portland had sales of $716/sq ft. The recession must have hurt it big time or else it would have made this list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City