Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you prefer?
Portland 43 34.68%
Denver 81 65.32%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 11:29 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcroJimmy2 View Post
Portland has walkability, public transit, and distinct neighborhoods over Denver.

Denver is a bigger metro and offers more sports and cultural institutions. It is also more sprawly...
It does have a larger economy, a healthier economy, and a major airport and a great night life as well. I think Portland can match the nightlife though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 11:37 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 4 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,915,052 times
So the criteria would be;

- Life style : Portland. But both are able to offer great lifestyles
- Economy overall: Denver.
- Education: Probably Portland.
- Metropolitan Area population: Denver.
- City Area population: Tied
- Professional Sports: Denver
- City Scape (downtown, skyline, notable buildings): Tied, or Denver by a slight margin. Out of all major American cities, they seem to have the most similar skylines to each other.
- Public Transportation: Tied or Portland by a small margin.
- Major Interstates and other roads: Denver.
- Airport: For the most part Denver, except Portland has better airport connections to Asia, certain West coast state cities and certain western canadian cities.
- Housing: Not sure.
- Food (Ethnic food, unique food of it's own, etc..): Portland, by a decent margin.
- Proximity to other locations: They both have great proximity to nature locations, but are rather isolated from other major cities. Portland is close to Seattle by car while Denver isnt really close like that to any other major city.
- Economy growth and diversity (Post Recession climate): Denver.
- Art galleries: Probably Portland.
- Music scene: Probably Portland.
- Museums: It seems to be a tie.
- Parks: Portland.
- Shopping: Tied.
- Climate (which you prefer, and why?): It really depends on time of the year. 40-60% of the time Portland over Denver and 40-60% of the time Denver over Portland.
- Notable companies headquartered there: Denver.
-Overall, which one would you live in: Im not sure. In some ways I would prefer Portland over Denver and in other ways I would prefer Denver over Portland.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:45 AM

515 posts, read 986,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalUrbanBalence View Post
So the criteria would be;

- Life style : Portland. But both are able to offer great lifestyles
- Economy overall: Denver.
- Education: Probably Portland.
- Metropolitan Area population: Denver.
- City Area population: Tied
- Professional Sports: Denver
- City Scape (downtown, skyline, notable buildings): Tied, or Denver by a slight margin. Out of all major American cities, they seem to have the most similar skylines to each other.
- Public Transportation: Tied or Portland by a small margin.
- Major Interstates and other roads: Denver.
- Airport: For the most part Denver, except Portland has better airport connections to Asia, certain West coast state cities and certain western canadian cities.
- Housing: Not sure.
- Food (Ethnic food, unique food of it's own, etc..): Portland, by a decent margin.
- Proximity to other locations: They both have great proximity to nature locations, but are rather isolated from other major cities. Portland is close to Seattle by car while Denver isnt really close like that to any other major city.
- Economy growth and diversity (Post Recession climate): Denver.
- Art galleries: Probably Portland.
- Music scene: Probably Portland.
- Museums: It seems to be a tie.
- Parks: Portland.
- Shopping: Tied.
- Climate (which you prefer, and why?): It really depends on time of the year. 40-60% of the time Portland over Denver and 40-60% of the time Denver over Portland.
- Notable companies headquartered there: Denver.
-Overall, which one would you live in: Im not sure. In some ways I would prefer Portland over Denver and in other ways I would prefer Denver over Portland.
Good overview, I agree with this run down. However, I do actually disagree with the notable companies. I think Portland wins because Nike is headquartered just outside Portland (in Beaverton).

One additional point, I'm pretty familiar with the two cities (lived in Denver for 4-years, lots of extended family in Portland area), I think Denver "feels" much larger than Portland. I know Denver's metro area is larger, but the overall feel of Portland to me is more like a large town, than a city. I think this is actually an appealing attribute of Portland's.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:34 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,518,195 times
IMHO...Portland because of it's progressive zoning laws and pedestrian/bicycle friendliness.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:47 PM

4 posts, read 8,980 times
Hi. I'm new to this site and my sister and I are seriously considering moving to Portland. We are in Miami, FL now. I'm wondering about the diversity of Portland. We are African-American women and we are bringing my 6 y/o niece with us.

I guess what I'd like to know is are we going to have problems in this city because of race?

Thanks!

Old 06-01-2010, 03:50 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,919,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belladhanna View Post
Hi. I'm new to this site and my sister and I are seriously considering moving to Portland. We are in Miami, FL now. I'm wondering about the diversity of Portland. We are African-American women and we are bringing my 6 y/o niece with us.

I guess what I'd like to know is are we going to have problems in this city because of race?

Thanks!
Portland is a very white city, but people are open-minded and accepting. You should go to the Portland message board on this site and people there will be able to give you a better idea of what to expect.

Old 06-01-2010, 04:28 PM

182 posts, read 718,571 times
Denver was rated the most depressing city for its crime, weather, and just plain quality of life, I am a bit too lazy to find the link again where I found that out but it is true. Denver FTW!

Old 06-01-2010, 04:56 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Well since it is which you prefer... Denver. I just don't like the culture and vibe of Portland. Just a bad fit for me.

Old 06-01-2010, 05:10 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Well since it is which you prefer... Denver. I just don't like the culture and vibe of Portland. Just a bad fit for me.
Yeah, I agree with you there too. I prefer Denver for that same reason.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:24 AM

4 posts, read 11,650 times
This is a tough one. I've lived in Portland, but I've spent a good amount of time in Denver too... I'm voting Portland because in my experience, it has more of the lifestyle and culture that appeals to me. Ultimately though, I love Denver for it's setting at the meeting place of the plains and the mountains, LoDo is a sweet neighborhood and the airport is fantastic. Kudos Denver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City