Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 11:08 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,385,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Thanks for the input. Historically, San Francisco is an older city with nearly a century under Spain & Mexico. I suspect that San Francisco\ San Jose region has a higher percentage of Catholics than Dallas\ Fort Worth due, in part to the strong Latino influence.
Well, don't forget that the Bay Area (mostly San Francisco) was also a center (albeit small) of European immigrants, especially Italians and Irish, whom added to the Catholic influence in the City.

One of the most famous Catholic churches in San Francisco is in North Beach (St. Peter and St. Paul Catholic Church), a historically Italian neighborhood which is fast becoming an extension of Chinatown and Yuppie SF
Church History (http://www.stspeterpaul.san-francisco.ca.us/history.htm - broken link)

Quote:
Many worlds intermingle in North Beach now. What was once known as "Little Italy," has become a melting pot of Italian, Chinese, Hispanic, Japanese, Indian, and other pocket communities. Central in the exciting ethnic mosaic is the church of SS. Peter and Paul which traces its original foundation to 1884. The first location of the church was on the corner of Filbert Street and Grant Avenue.

http://afod.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/img_1903.jpg (broken link)

Dallas, on the other hand, was historically more connected to the Upper South (Arkansas comes to mind) and Lower Midwest (Oklahoma) and was thus part of the mostly Baptist Bible Belt. Schools like Texas Christian University and Southern Methodist University reflect the strong Protestant character of the region.

*Note: If someone has any information about this topic, please correct me. I think its extremely interesting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 11:37 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,951,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
But this really isn't restricted to Dallas or San Francisco itself. In fact, here's another interesting factoid about both metro areas; the Metroplex is around 110-120 miles closer to the border than the Bay Area is (depending on where you are in either area, of course)

San Francisco, CA to San Ysidro, San Diego, CA - Google Maps
San Francisco to San Ysidro, CA: 515 miles

Dallas, TX to Del Rio, TX - Google Maps
Dallas to Del Rio, TX: 397 miles

Logically speaking, Dallas should have gotten much more of a Hispanic influence first than San Francisco. However, this wasn't historically the case due to San Francisco's unique geographic position as the northernmost outpost of the Spanish Empire, directly facing the threat of Russian invasion from the north (hence was founded in 1776 as a fort)

Dallas likewise was located near the periphery of New Spain as well, but wasn't settled until Anglo Americans came to the region in the 1830s and founded Dallas as a Native American trading outpost. This has to do with the fact that its New Spain's neighbor in the region was Catholic France, whom pretty much retained friendly relations with Catholic Spain after the 30 years war. No real reason to form a defensive stance against them. In addition, the Dallas-Fort Worth area (despite Fort Worth's name) would have made a poor defensive position in the days of 17th and 18th century warfare. It would have been FAR too easy to surround the area and blockade it before any reinforcements can come. San Francisco is much better suited as a defensive position because it would have required a combined arms operation to take the region (naval and land), which is difficult in the world before radio communications.

The more you know....

You should have made this a poll! I think it would have been a whole lot closer than the Chicago-Bay Area Hispanic comparisons because the "border state" excuse would have meant nothing in this comparison.

It's weird to think that the Bay Area, Chicago, and DFW all have around the same numbers of Hispanics. 3 metro areas that seem to have nothing in common apart now have something in common. Good call!
Great historical post.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:04 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
San Francisco has a longer history of Spanish influence, hence the name, San Francisco otherwise known in English as Saint Francis.

Latin culture to Dallas is fairly new in comparison.
I think this sums it up. Latin culture is relatively new compared to Southern Texas or Southern California, but it seems to have hit the DFW area with an explosion that can only be compared to Chicago. Two places that werent historically strongholds for Latinos, but that have somehow seem to attract so many of them.

To bring it back to the topic, I still cant really decide which area has the more instrumental community. DFW's is larger (percentage) but less established, the Bay Area's is slightly smaller, but more established. Which one equals more influential?

I would love to see more data on the issue too. OmShahi mentioned a growth chart, which I would love to see. Lifeshadower, do you have population numbers for the other central American nations in these areas?

Old 06-04-2010, 08:14 AM

683 posts, read 1,469,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Both areas are home to very large Hispanic communities, but the Hispanic community in both tend to be over looked. Both areas are home to very similarly sized Hispanic communities.

Here are some basic stats:

San Francisco/Oakland/San Jose:

Total Hispanic population: 1,675,758 - 22.8% of the total population
Mexican: 1,293,881
Puerto Rican: 39,925
Cuban: 8,849
Other Hispanics: 333,103

Dallas/Fort Worth/Arlington:

Total Hispanic population: 1,732,974 - 27.5% of the total population
Mexican: 1,489,643
Puerto Rican: 31,163
Cuban: 9,913
Other Hispanics: 202,255

I believe the Hispanic community in DFW is newer than the Bay Area, but I dont know for sure.

What do you guys think?
Hispanic culture? What is that?

Can you define Hispanic culture??

Hispanic is someone from Hispania (Spain).

The U.S. is also a "Hispanic" country. We have more than 60 million spanish speakers.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
I think this sums it up. Latin culture is relatively new compared to Southern Texas or Southern California, but it seems to have hit the DFW area with an explosion that can only be compared to Chicago. Two places that werent historically strongholds for Latinos, but that have somehow seem to attract so many of them.

To bring it back to the topic, I still cant really decide which area has the more instrumental community. DFW's is larger (percentage) but less established, the Bay Area's is slightly smaller, but more established. Which one equals more influential?

I would love to see more data on the issue too. OmShahi mentioned a growth chart, which I would love to see. Lifeshadower, do you have population numbers for the other central American nations in these areas?
After playing around with the American Factfinder Website, I found the relevant information

Mexican American (ACS Selected Population Profile - American FactFinder)
DFW: 1,441,011
Bay Area: 1,239,660

Puerto Rican (ACS Selected Population Profile - American FactFinder)
Bay Area: 39,824
DFW: 26,324

Central American (http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet...mat=&-_lang=en)
Bay Area: 178,354
DFW:105,749

Salvadorian American (ACS Selected Population Profile - American FactFinder)
Bay Area: 86,587
DFW: 63,147

Guatemalan American (http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet...mat=&-_lang=en)
Bay Area: 37,376
DFW: Not available (less than 20,000)

South American (ACS Selected Population Profile - American FactFinder)
Bay Area: 54,377
DFW: 31,649

It's pretty clear that both areas Hispanic or Latino population is dominated by the Mexican population. However, a higher percentage of DFW's Latinos are from Mexico, while the Bay Area has more from Central and South America.

Old 06-04-2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:
It's pretty clear that both areas Hispanic or Latino population is dominated by the Mexican population. However, a higher percentage of DFW's Latinos are from Mexico, while the Bay Area has more from Central and South America.
I think DFW's Latino community resembles Chicago's more than any other. Both huge Mexican communities and smaller central and South American communities. Also both are extremely new, have a leaning toward foreign born, and are much less established than other large hispanic communities. The big difference is that Chicago's hispanic community is alot more segregated than DFW's. In that sense it resembles the Bay Area more.

According to the Dallas morning news, the Mexican consulate in Dallas is the 3rd busiest in the US after LA and Chicago.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
I think DFW's Latino community resembles Chicago's more than any other. Both huge Mexican communities and smaller central and South American communities. Also both are extremely new, have a leaning toward foreign born, and are much less established than other large hispanic communities. The big difference is that Chicago's hispanic community is alot more segregated than DFW's. In that sense it resembles the Bay Area more.

According to the Dallas morning news, the Mexican consulate in Dallas is the 3rd busiest in the US after LA and Chicago.
Well, don't forget that Chicago actually has a Puerto Rican community, with many of their Hispanic communities oriented more toward the Caribbean and South America rather than Central America (as is the case in the Bay Area and DFW).

Mexican American: http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet...mat=&-_lang=en

Chicago: 1,464,543
DFW: 1,441,011
Bay Area: 1,239,660

Puerto Rican: http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet...mat=&-_lang=en

Chicago: 175,625
Bay Area: 39,824
DFW: 26,324

Central American: ACS Selected Population Profile - American FactFinder

Bay Area: 178,354
DFW:105,749
Chicago: 64,037

South American: http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet...mat=&-_lang=en

Chicago: 67,755
Bay Area: 54,377
DFW: 31,649

All Other Hispanics and Latinos: http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet...mat=&-_lang=en

Bay Area: 82,536
DFW: 61,009
Chicago: 58,097

Interesting that you bring up segregation. I haven't crunched the numbers myself for the 2008 American Community Survey (mostly because the demographic makeup of individual census tract is only taken every 10 years, not in the estimates), but here are what the similarity indicies look like from the 2000 census. Here's how the segregation index is calculated:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/13828473-post22.html

Here are some equations to calculate diversity AND segregation: (from the article)

Diversity Index:

For the 2000 census, the US census released a diversity index (http://www.census.gov/population/cen...ensr01-104.pdf) calculating the statistical diversity of each county in the United States based on the 8 broad ethno-racial demographic groups seen in the census. If you look on the 4th page of the link above, the census demographers use simple mathematics to determine how they got the index to begin with:

1) Square the percentage of each group analyzed
2) Subtract that number from 1.00 (total diversity)

The range of diversity is from .00 (no diversity at all) to 1.00 (total diversity). For the sake of making our lives easier, I will only analyze five statistically significant groups: i) White Non-Hispanics ii) Black Non-Hispanics iii) Hispanics iv) Asian Non-Hispanics v)Two or more races

If you want to calculate it based on diversity within groups (like Italian Americans, Irish Americans, Indian Americans, etc.), just add those percentages based on the American Community Survey Link above and do the same thing.

Calculating Neighborhood Segregation/Diversity

This is done by initially calculating diversity on a tract by tract basis, then its added to get a total, then divided by the total number of census tracts.

For example, if a census tract was 100% of one group, then it would add into the equation as a 0 in the diversity index. If another census tract had equal representations of all groups, then it would be a a 1 on the diversity index. Then, every single census tract score is added and divided by the total number of census tracts to get the segregation index of a city.

For example: Town A (total diversity index = .56) has 4 census tracts of moderate diversity
Tract 1 = 0.52 (20,000 in the tract)
Tract 2 = 0.21 (20,000 in the tract)
Tract 3 = 0.00 (10,000 in the tract)
Tract 4 = 1.00 (50,000 in the tract)

TOTAL OF ALL TRACTS: 1.73
Segregation Index = 0.43

Due to the relative segregation in the town, the segregation index shows that the nature of how the total diversity is distributed. A segregation score of .43 shows that its mildly segregated, but still overall diverse.

CensusScope -- Segregation: Dissimilarity Indices
*Note: 0 is total integration, 100 is total segregation. This is measured from the point of view of Non-Hispanic Whites

(Using PMSA's which are extremely outdated)San Francisco, CA (CensusScope -- Segregation: Dissimilarity Indices)
Black: 65.6
Asian: 52.0
Hispanic: 55.2

Oakland, CA (CensusScope -- Segregation: Dissimilarity Indices)
Black: 66.4
Asian: 45.3
Hispanic: 48.7

San Jose, CA (CensusScope -- Segregation: Dissimilarity Indices)
Black: 45.9
Asian: 44.8
Hispanic: 53.7

Chicago, IL (CensusScope -- Segregation: Dissimilarity Indices)
Black: 83.6
Asian: 50.9
Hispanic: 64.8

Dallas, TX (CensusScope -- Segregation: Dissimilarity Indices)
Black: 64.4
Asian: 51.0
Hispanic: 58.5

Fort Worth, TX (CensusScope -- Segregation: Dissimilarity Indices)
Black: 64.5
Asian: 48.2
Hispanic: 51.2

From least segregated to most segregated for Hispanics:
1. Oakland, CA (48.7)
2. Fort Worth, TX (51.2)
3. San Jose, CA (53.7)
4. San Francisco, CA (55.2)
5. Dallas, TX (58.5)
6. Chicago, IL (64.8)

Once the 2010 Census comes out, we'll see how this changed (with better track of how data is kept as well )

Old 06-05-2010, 07:40 AM

^^^Excellent work Lifeshadower.

I guess my hypothisis of Chicago's ethnic communities being more segregated was correct.

Old 06-05-2010, 04:19 PM

Maybe someone can answer this question as well:

Does the DFW area have an area that has been historically Spanish? What I mean is a long established barrio that has multigenerational Hispanic families, or is the WHOLE Hispanic population from basically the last half century?

I'm thinking of course of areas like East LA (used to be called Belvedere), Boyle Heights, San Fernando, Highland Park in the LA area. Or like the Mission District or East San Jose in the Bay Area.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that BOTH the DFW area and Houston areas were historically Anglo American cities with huge Southeastern influences (meaning primarily Black and White). I base that contention off of this demographic projection of both cities:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...ity-metro.html
http://www.census.gov/population/www...0076/TXtab.pdf

Dallas 1970
66.9% White
24.9% Black
7.5% Hispanic
0.6% Other

Dallas 1980
56.9% White
29.4% Black
12.3% Hispanic
1.0% Asian and Pacific Islander

Dallas 1990
47.9% White
29.5% Black
20.3% Hispanic
2.1% Asian and Pacific Islander

Dallas 2000 (http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet...ng=en&-_sse=on)
35.6% Hispanic
34.6% White
26.5% Black
3.2% Asian and Pacific Islander

Dallas 2008 (http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet...ng=en&-_sse=on)
43.1% Hispanic
30.1% White
23.0% Black
2.5% Asian and Pacific Islander

If you're curious, here's what Houston went through in the same period (much of the same thing)

Houston 1970
62.4% White
25.7% Black
11.3% Hispanic (Spanish Origin, using 15% sample)
0.8% Other (incl. AAPI and American Indian)

Houston 1980
52.3% White
27.6% Black
17.6% Hispanic
2.2% Asian

Houston 1990
40.6% White
28.1% Black
27.6% Hispanic
4.1% Asian

Houston 2000 (source: Houston city, Texas - DP-1. Profile of General Demographic Characteristics:**2000)
37.4% Hispanic
30.8% White
25.9% Black
5.9% Asian and Pacific Islander

Houston 2008
41.9% Hispanic
27.9% White
23.8% Black
5.4% Asian and Pacific Islander

Old 06-05-2010, 05:20 PM

922 posts, read 1,698,844 times
Quote:
Maybe someone can answer this question as well:

Does the DFW area have an area that has been historically Spanish? What I mean is a long established barrio that has multigenerational Hispanic families, or is the WHOLE Hispanic population from basically the last half century?

Little Mexico Used To Be

Little Mexico Gets Squeezed Out - Page 1 - News - Dallas - Dallas Observer
http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfa...ting_small.php

http://www.elnacionalnews.com/notici...of-former-self

http://www.dallaslibrary2.org/texas/...st.html#little

Last edited by DtX4415; 06-05-2010 at 05:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City