Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 03:03 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times

Advertisements

Both areas are home to very large Hispanic communities, but the Hispanic community in both tend to be over looked. Both areas are home to very similarly sized Hispanic communities.

Here are some basic stats:

San Francisco/Oakland/San Jose:

Total Hispanic population: 1,675,758 - 22.8% of the total population
Mexican: 1,293,881
Puerto Rican: 39,925
Cuban: 8,849
Other Hispanics: 333,103

Dallas/Fort Worth/Arlington:

Total Hispanic population: 1,732,974 - 27.5% of the total population
Mexican: 1,489,643
Puerto Rican: 31,163
Cuban: 9,913
Other Hispanics: 202,255

I believe the Hispanic community in DFW is newer than the Bay Area, but I dont know for sure.

What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 03:08 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times
Yeah I feel that the Hispanic residents in DFW are first generation too. Not saying all of them, but a large majority.

With DFW's growth, it will be a more prominent location for Hispanics in the future as compared to the Bay Area.

I have the growth charts on my laptop, when I get home. I'll post them.

And the numbers you've posted are nearly identical for Mexican, Puerto Rican, and Cuban.

Old 06-03-2010, 03:49 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
When I think of northern California, I think of Asian influence. There's more Hispanic influence in southern California, and in Texas in general.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:09 PM

859 posts, read 2,119,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
When I think of northern California, I think of Asian influence. There's more Hispanic influence in southern California, and in Texas in general.
There's your answer. If we compared southern cal as gnutella stated then it might be a different answer.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:28 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Both areas are home to very large Hispanic communities, but the Hispanic community in both tend to be over looked. Both areas are home to very similarly sized Hispanic communities.

Here are some basic stats:

Total Hispanic population: 1,675,758 - 22.8% of the total population
Mexican: 1,293,881
Puerto Rican: 39,925
Cuban: 8,849
Other Hispanics: 333,103

Dallas/Fort Worth/Arlington:

Total Hispanic population: 1,732,974 - 27.5% of the total population
Mexican: 1,489,643
Puerto Rican: 31,163
Cuban: 9,913
Other Hispanics: 202,255

I believe the Hispanic community in DFW is newer than the Bay Area, but I dont know for sure.

What do you guys think?
The numbers are damn near identical.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:34 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,379,593 times
In terms of newness to the area:

San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland, CA CSA - Selected Social Characteristics in the United States: 2006-2008
Total Hispanic population: 1,626,935
Born in Latin America: 731,559
Latinos Born in Latin America = 44.96% of the Latino population

Dallas-Fort Worth, TX CSA - ACS Demographic and Housing Estimates: 2006-2008

Dallas-Forth Worth
Total Hispanic population: 1,687,160
Born in Latin America: 754,857
Latinos Born in Latin America = 44.74% of the Latino population

They're about equal in terms of how many were born abroad. We'll see how it looks like in the next census, but they won't probably differ by that much.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:47 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
The numbers are damn near identical.
I was looking at their numbers and I couldnt believe how close the Hispanic numbers are between Dallas/Fort Worth and the San Francisco Bay area. They even have similar Guatemalan, Salvadoran, and Honduran populations too.

Then when I saw Lifeshadower's Hispanic influence on the Bay vs. Chicago, I got the idea to start this one. My friend who just moved here from San Francisco and I were talking about this the other night and we couldnt come up with an answer to this question.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:51 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
San Francisco has a longer history of Spanish influence, hence the name, San Francisco otherwise known in English as Saint Francis.

Latin culture to Dallas is fairly new in comparison.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:47 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,379,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
San Francisco has a longer history of Spanish influence, hence the name, San Francisco otherwise known in English as Saint Francis.

Latin culture to Dallas is fairly new in comparison.
But this really isn't restricted to Dallas or San Francisco itself. In fact, here's another interesting factoid about both metro areas; the Metroplex is around 110-120 miles closer to the border than the Bay Area is (depending on where you are in either area, of course)

San Francisco, CA to San Ysidro, San Diego, CA - Google Maps
San Francisco to San Ysidro, CA: 515 miles

Dallas, TX to Del Rio, TX - Google Maps
Dallas to Del Rio, TX: 397 miles

Logically speaking, Dallas should have gotten much more of a Hispanic influence first than San Francisco. However, this wasn't historically the case due to San Francisco's unique geographic position as the northernmost outpost of the Spanish Empire, directly facing the threat of Russian invasion from the north (hence was founded in 1776 as a fort)

Dallas likewise was located near the periphery of New Spain as well, but wasn't settled until Anglo Americans came to the region in the 1830s and founded Dallas as a Native American trading outpost. This has to do with the fact that its New Spain's neighbor in the region was Catholic France, whom pretty much retained friendly relations with Catholic Spain after the 30 years war. No real reason to form a defensive stance against them. In addition, the Dallas-Fort Worth area (despite Fort Worth's name) would have made a poor defensive position in the days of 17th and 18th century warfare. It would have been FAR too easy to surround the area and blockade it before any reinforcements can come. San Francisco is much better suited as a defensive position because it would have required a combined arms operation to take the region (naval and land), which is difficult in the world before radio communications.

The more you know....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
I was looking at their numbers and I couldnt believe how close the Hispanic numbers are between Dallas/Fort Worth and the San Francisco Bay area. They even have similar Guatemalan, Salvadoran, and Honduran populations too.

Then when I saw Lifeshadower's Hispanic influence on the Bay vs. Chicago, I got the idea to start this one. My friend who just moved here from San Francisco and I were talking about this the other night and we couldnt come up with an answer to this question.
You should have made this a poll! I think it would have been a whole lot closer than the Chicago-Bay Area Hispanic comparisons because the "border state" excuse would have meant nothing in this comparison.

It's weird to think that the Bay Area, Chicago, and DFW all have around the same numbers of Hispanics. 3 metro areas that seem to have nothing in common apart now have something in common. Good call!

Last edited by Lifeshadower; 06-03-2010 at 10:58 PM..

Old 06-03-2010, 10:57 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,382,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
But this really isn't restricted to Dallas or San Francisco itself. In fact, here's another interesting factoid about both metro areas; the Metroplex is around 110-120 miles closer to the border than the Bay Area is (depending on where you are in either area, of course)

San Francisco, CA to San Ysidro, San Diego, CA - Google Maps
San Francisco to San Ysidro, CA: 515 miles

Dallas, TX to Del Rio, TX - Google Maps
Dallas to Del Rio, TX: 397 miles

Logically speaking, Dallas should have gotten much more of a Hispanic influence first than San Francisco. However, this wasn't historically the case due to San Francisco's unique geographic position as the northernmost outpost of the Spanish Empire, directly facing the threat of Russian invasion from the north (hence was founded in 1776 as a fort)

Dallas likewise was located near the periphery of New Spain as well, but wasn't settled until Anglos came to the region in the 1830s as a Native American trading outpost. This has to do with the fact that its New Spain's neighbor in the region was Catholic France, whom pretty much retained friendly relations with Catholic Spain after the 30 years war.

The more you know....
Thanks for the input. Historically, San Francisco is an older city with nearly a century under Spain & Mexico. I suspect that San Francisco\ San Jose region has a higher percentage of Catholics than Dallas\ Fort Worth due, in part to the strong Latino influence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City