Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Arlington or Manhattan?
Arlington, VA 11 22.92%
Manhattan, NY 37 77.08%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 08:55 AM

1,346 posts, read 4,212,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
No offense, but you sound like your from the stix, and just recently moved to DC.
How am I from the stix if I think DC is unique. Any moron should be able to see that it's a unique city like no other. I don't car if you hate DC and love NYC, you can still see that it's different. It's built after Paris and has many different qualities that other cities don't have. Also this is coming from a guy that prefers NYC. NYC is one of my favorite cities in the country, but that doesn't mean DC isn't great as well. I was just kidding before, but you really are only 15 huh? You're posts sure do sound like it.

tahiti... I wasn't lashing out. Just pointing out facts. Like I said, that's just what some people look for. It just annoys me when kids come on here(killakoolaide) and think nothing makes sense unless it's their own opinion. That's why these forums are becoming so bad. It's the same people posting the same biased stuff when they've probably never left their city. It just so happens that many of them seem to be from NYC. If I would have never been to NYC and based the people there on the ones that post here, I'd think it's the worst city in the world with some of the rudest and ignorant people. Thankfully, I know that's not true and its just that it happens to be the ones on here. No offense to you, this isn't directed at you. Sorry if it came across that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 09:05 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,559,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT1 View Post
There is far more wealth in NYC metro than DC which is nothing more than a big welfare state without any true wealth creation
As opposed to NYC's thriving financial sector, right? Lot's of "true" wealth creation going on there.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:33 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,728,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
As opposed to NYC's thriving financial sector, right? Lot's of "true" wealth creation going on there.
NYC in the 30's:

we were thriving then and we're thriving now. there was lots of creation then and there's lots of creation now.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:35 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,728,847 times
wall st in the 30's:
http://www.nypl.org/research/chss/spe/art/photo/abbottex/cny0943.jpg (broken link)

and we still haven't even mentioned the rest of the metro area.

nyc 1891:

lets not talk about wealth anymore.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:19 AM

27,547 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT1 View Post
But "Median income", IMHO, is meaningless. Just need to look at HQs of the country's top companies and where millionaires/centimillionaires/billioniares reside (not just swarms of $100K year earning gub'ment workers creating high median incomes and artificially boosting statistics like in DC)

And yes, more millionaires in NYC per-capita than DC. Far more in raw numbers as well.

Metros by % of millionaires

New York City 3.6% [561,800]
San Francisco 3.4%
Boston 2.9%
Washington 2.9% [127,700]
Chicago 2.2%
Detroit 2.2%
Los Angeles 2.0%
Philadelphia 1.8%
Houston 1.5%

Imageshack - usmetrowealthindex0907.gif

So DC may be a more uniformly comfortable middle-class metro, but stands no chance against NYC when it comes to wealth.
That's true. But one has to wonder - what good is it to you if you're not among that tiny multi-millionaire/billionaire class in NYC? Is it still that appealing if you're among the vast middle class, which is far more likely?

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 06-04-2010 at 11:26 AM..

Old 06-04-2010, 11:40 AM

2,419 posts, read 4,720,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
How am I from the stix if I think DC is unique. Any moron should be able to see that it's a unique city like no other. I don't car if you hate DC and love NYC, you can still see that it's different. It's built after Paris and has many different qualities that other cities don't have. Also this is coming from a guy that prefers NYC. NYC is one of my favorite cities in the country, but that doesn't mean DC isn't great as well. I was just kidding before, but you really are only 15 huh? You're posts sure do sound like it.
Being modeled after paris doesn't make you unique, it makes you a copycat from the start.

And what different qualities does DC have, aside from the capitol stuff, that other cities don't have. Even the shape of the city looks like they were trying to copy Baltimore.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:04 PM

27,547 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Being modeled after paris doesn't make you unique, it makes you a copycat from the start.

And what different qualities does DC have, aside from the capitol stuff, that other cities don't have. Even the shape of the city looks like they were trying to copy Baltimore.
C'mon, I've met folks living in remote villages of 3rd world countries who could identify the White House, Capitol Building and Washington Monument.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:05 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
C'mon, I've met folks living in remote villages of 3rd world countries who could identify the White House, Capitol Building and Washington Monument.
Really. I honestly don't know what to say to someone who doesn't think our Nation's Capital is unique.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:06 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,088,271 times
Quote:

Well played my good man...well played

Old 06-04-2010, 12:12 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,720,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I said aside from the capitol stuff.

But DC is nice and unique, unique just like every other major city in the US.

I think the guy was refrencing the local culture of DC when he said its more unique than anywhere else, and while I agree that it is unique, I don't believe it is any moreso than most major cities. Afterall, it is one of the more transient cities in America.

Places in and around DC even stole names from from places in and around Philly, Like Germantown, Mount Airy, and Montgomery County(though they call it MoCo and we call it Montco)all Philly area originals.

Last edited by killakoolaide; 06-04-2010 at 12:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City