Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2010, 04:33 AM

44 posts, read 109,285 times

Advertisements

^ that was 2006

^ this is in 2010....and growing! What you don't see it the long condo line streching 10 miles north downtown Chicago to Rogers Park. Chicago's condo line is mid rises that line the north side's lakefront(similar to LA's century city's mid rises but on a much more bigger and longer scale)

And what's up with all this NYC hype? To me it's just another American city similar to Chicago just much more grimier and a shorter skyline.Chicago is an alternative to NYC,Chicago is like a cleaner,greener,prettier,freindlier, and less crowded version of NY.NYC is too grimy for me, but idk some people have differnt opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 04:43 AM

44 posts, read 109,285 times
whoa! those pics are big! sorry for that! lol

These are neighborhoods in Chicago other then Downtown.

YouTube - Wicker Park via Milwaukee Ave.

YouTube - Wicker Park

YouTube - Crazy Chinese Ninja Dude will knock your socks off BUSTER!

LOL, ^ ignore the guy!

YouTube - Driving Wells and Clark streets on the way to Lake View

Old 06-18-2010, 06:27 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
I don't know if Chicago is really known for it's shopping, especially compared to New York. Also, I would argue the fact that Philadelphia produces more NBA talent than Chicago. No disrespect to D.Wade lol.

I think Chicago and Michigan Ave would be one of the most widely known shopping areas in the country.

On the NBA - NY and Chicago have both produced more NBA players than Philly but relative to population Philly has produced more per capita.

I would also argue Philly may have produced the best talent but that is subjective (But for starters Wilt and Kobe would be the two best from Philly)

Old 06-18-2010, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwisherSweet1 View Post
In America it would be Chicago for density, architecture, food,restuarants, subways,elevated trains,night life, and skyline/skyscapers.

America's tallest buildings list
1.Willis Tower,Chicago,IL- 1,451 ft
2.Trump Tower,Chicago,IL- 1,389 ft
3.Empire State Building,NYC,NY-1,250 ft
4.Bank of America Tower,NYC,NY-1,200 ft
5.Aon Center,Chicago,IL - 1,136 ft
6.John Hancock Center,Chicago,IL-1,127 ft

Chicago has 4 of America's top 6 tallest buildings and growing!

Chicago's Willis Tower-1,451 ft (roof height)
NY's Twin Towers(Destroyed)-1,368 ft(roof height)

Chicago Willis Tower will still be taller in roof height over NY's new Freedom Tower.

Chicago's Willis Tower-1,451 ft (roof height)........1,730 ft(antenna/spire height)
NY's new Freedom Tower-1,368 ft (roof height)....1,776 ft(antenna/spire height)

^ Why will the Freedom Tower count its spire height and Chicago Willis Tower doesn't?.....Doesn't matter Chicago's Willis tower is still look taller then the Freedom tower.Nobody looks at the antenna as the highest part of the building.People look at the roof height!

Now the Chicago Spire will blow The Willis Tower,The Empire State Building and the Freedom Tower out of the water!

Chicago Spire,Chicago,IL-2,000 ft (roof height) 150 floors!

And Chicago invented the 1st steel skyscaper thats a fact! And Chicago architects(Skidmore,Owings and Merril) designed the world's tallest building the Burj Kalifa.They also designed NY's Freedom Tower and of course Chicago Sears Tower(America's Tallest Building)!

ps. i've been to NY and NYC has a short skyline the only building that stands out is the Empire State Building, which looks pretty short compared to Chicago's skyscapers, the rest of the buildings look short and anyone who's been to BOTH CITIES knows what i'm saying is true.NY's skyline looks short compared to Chicago's.Based on the average height of the ten tallest completed buildings,Chicago has the tallest skyline in the world.

Chicago is actually my favorite skyline but NYC is very close in my books. One thing though is nothing matches the vibrancy, especially at street level when compared to NYC. I have lived in NYC and have spent extensive time in Chicago. Both great cities.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:39 AM

976 posts, read 2,243,172 times
Quote:
In America it would be Chicago for density, architecture, food,restuarants, subways,elevated trains,night life, and skyline/skyscapers.
architecture, maybe. food, perhaps. elevated trains, sure. subways, no. nightlife, no. skyline/skyscrapers, maybe aesthetically speaking. density, you must be joking.

all this nonsense about the height of buildings and whatnot is irrelevant. there are many great cities that don't have many tall buildings (look at europe).

to argue that chicago is comparable to new york in density and streetlife is foolish and false. new york is more than twice as densely populated as chicago. chicago is a great city; that is undeniable. chicago is not on the same playing field as new york city. only people from chicago or those who have not visited both cities would suggest otherwise.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
architecture, maybe. food, perhaps. elevated trains, sure. subways, no. nightlife, no. skyline/skyscrapers, maybe aesthetically speaking. density, you must be joking.

all this nonsense about the height of buildings and whatnot is irrelevant. there are many great cities that don't have many tall buildings (look at europe).

to argue that chicago is comparable to new york in density and streetlife is foolish and false. new york is more than twice as densely populated as chicago. chicago is a great city; that is undeniable. chicago is not on the same playing field as new york city. only people from chicago or those who have not visited both cities would suggest otherwise.
This is very true. Not that Chicago is poor on these categories and excels beyond most other US cities, but NYC, no, and not even close

Old 06-18-2010, 07:52 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,563,181 times
Quote:
Chicago is an alternative to NYC
Ehrm, no.

I like Chicago--very much, actually. But it is not a NYC substitute. They both have an impressive skyline, which is about where the similarities end. New York trumps it in just about every conceivable category. You may prefer living in Chicago versus NYC for any number of reasons, but it's not a comparable city to NY.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:20 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,091,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
Ehrm, no.

I like Chicago--very much, actually. But it is not a NYC substitute. They both have an impressive skyline, which is about where the similarities end. New York trumps it in just about every conceivable category. You may prefer living in Chicago versus NYC for any number of reasons, but it's not a comparable city to NY.
i heard chicago has a small town feel. Which is pretty funny

Old 06-18-2010, 08:30 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,364,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
i heard chicago has a small town feel. Which is pretty funny
You heard wrong. The only "small town feel" you'll find is the friendliness of the people, and the set-up of certain residential hoods.

The "small town feel" can also be found in certain neighborhoods in NY.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:43 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,091,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
You heard wrong. The only "small town feel" you'll find is the friendliness of the people, and the set-up of certain residential hoods.

The "small town feel" can also be found in certain neighborhoods in NY.
No seriously, people have said that despite all the skyscrapers. Chicago feels like a big michigan more than a new york or a london,you know... like a metropolis city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City