Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2010, 08:47 AM

259 posts, read 543,257 times

Advertisements

well it seems to me that people just have different ideas of certain concepts...because when I say similarities Im not taking into consideration of which city has more...quantity isn't really my focal point here....the point is that Chicago is known for many of the samethings New York is known for...and thats a fact...now we can sit here and say nyc trumps chicago in this and that lol but why shouldn't they I mean they have about 6million more people...But to say that chicago can't be compared isn't too smart. @K.O.N.Y And how does chicago get so many tourist each year and no one knows much about it? 46 million visitors..and you'd be surprised how many New Yorkers have turned up in Chicago!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 09:10 AM

648 posts, read 1,618,356 times
No city in the world compares to the amount of diversity, excitement, media, density, population, sports, music, economy, and politics that New York blends into one city better than any city in the world.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:12 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times
Chicago is the closest comparison in the US. I visited family in Indiana growing up (in a suburb of Chicago). We went to Chicago often. Even back then in the 50s and 60s, it was still a bit similar to NYC.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:13 AM

27,557 posts, read 28,647,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianIvanov View Post
No city in the world compares to the amount of diversity, excitement, media, density, population, sports, music, economy, and politics that New York blends into one city better than any city in the world.
Well, I'd say London is close in these categories overall. Better in politics and history.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:16 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,561,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Well, I'd say London is close in these categories overall.
I'd put NYC and London about dead even. Very different cities, but both are spectacular.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:17 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
I'd put NYC and London about dead even. Very different cities, but both are spectacular.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:19 AM

259 posts, read 543,257 times
Quote:
so you see "no" similarities? lmao

Old 06-18-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Well, I'd say London is close in these categories overall. Better in politics and history.
London is its nation's capital, but it is not to me as internationally recognized politically as New York City, especially seeing the UN headquarters is in New York City.

History, of course London, but history is not important in my daily life. I am making money, not going to museums. I am not saying history is bad though.

But London I do not think is as diverse. New York is the only city in the world with every country in the world represented in it I have heard.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthfully19 View Post
so you see "no" similarities? lmao
I see similarities.. Los Angeles has entertainment, Chicago stock, London finance, Toronto diversity, Hong Kong density, DC politics.. but NY is the only city that presents all of those combined to such a great degree... and leads the world economically and culturally.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:46 AM

27,557 posts, read 28,647,655 times
Quote:
London is its nation's capital, but it is not to me as internationally recognized politically as New York City, especially seeing the UN headquarters is in New York City.

History, of course London, but history is not important in my daily life. I am making money, not going to museums. I am not saying history is bad though.

But London I do not think is as diverse. New York is the only city in the world with every country in the world represented in it I have heard.
That's a fair enough assessment. As far as the U.N. is concerned, it is relatively important politically in terms of soft power and leverage. However, it's not as effective, prominent or consequential in world affairs as the governments of the U.S. and U.K. Hardly anything ever happens in the U.N. that is as interesting or thought-provoking as Parliament.

I actually think NYC is better than London, but they're close.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 06-18-2010 at 10:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City