Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2010, 04:50 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,450,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
As someone who lived in NY I agree Chicago can't compare with NY but also dont think for a minute Brookly stands on its own against Chicago. Now I think Brooklyn is great but Brooklyn without Manhattan is not really up for discussion.

It sounds as though you have never been to Chicago - having said that I do think you would be quite surprised that life actually exists outside of NYC, and some pretty good urban life - that has always been an issue of mine with NYers. Many are myopic (not all because those who don't make these comments are the ones probably better travelled), there are many great cities other than NY. having said that I also dont think any city really compares to NY on the scale, but many have have neighborhoods equally as vibrant, just not as many, especially Chicago

For the record I love NY and think it is a true one of kind, but more on scale, many places can match the vibrancy even if at a smaller scale
And I completely agree with you. You're right I've never been to Chicago. But I have been to L.A, Atlanta, D.C, Connecticut and a few other states.

Population wise we're not (Brooklyn Alone) far from Chicago (That was my discussion) So to compare a city of NYC's caliber, to Chicago is ludicrous. I won't really go into details but Native NY'ers know the feeling I'm talking about.

It's honestly the little things that other city's lack, yet they alway's want to compare to NYC. And I hate when people think Manhattan is ALL NYC have to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 04:59 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
And I completely agree with you. You're right I've never been to Chicago. But I have been to L.A, Atlanta, D.C, Connecticut and a few other states.

Population wise we're not (Brooklyn Alone) far from Chicago (That was my discussion) So to compare a city of NYC's caliber, to Chicago is ludicrous. I won't really go into details but Native NY'ers know the feeling I'm talking about.

It's honestly the little things that other city's lack, yet they alway's want to compare to NYC. And I hate when people think Manhattan is ALL NYC have to offer.

I agree on Manhattan, but also don't think for a minute NY would be a shell of itself without it, there are awesome neighborhoods in the other boroughs, even places like Hoboken. Brooklyn as a stand alone would probably be better compared to a city like Philly - some aspects one would win and some the other would

LA, DC, and Atl are nothing like Chicago or NY - you should know that - out of that group actually Chicago would feel the closest to NY in many ways

Don't get me wrong I truly love and cherish NY (well except the Mets, Yankees, Giants, Knicks, and Rangers), but I get confused when people from NY get defensive. It may be the only City that truly just speaks for itself, while it may not be for everyone it is what it is and is special

Last edited by kidphilly; 06-18-2010 at 05:00 PM.. Reason: for things I don't like about NY

Old 06-18-2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
I agree on Manhattan, but also don't think for a minute NY would be a shell of itself without it, there are awesome neighborhoods in the other boroughs, even places like Hoboken. Brooklyn as a stand alone would probably be better compared to a city like Philly - some aspects one would win and some the other would

LA, DC, and Atl are nothing like Chicago or NY - you should know that - out of that group actually Chicago would feel the closest to NY in many ways

Don't get me wrong I truly love and cherish NY (well except the Mets, Yankees, Giants, Knicks, and Rangers), but I get confused when people from NY get defensive. It may be the only City that truly just speaks for itself, while it may not be for everyone it is what it is and is special
The Yankees RULE everything!!! (I'm sorry I'm a huge fan Lol)

If it's any consolation, I'd tear apart Boston; immensely, way before I would Chicago

Furthermore, WE ALL make up the USA and we can't function without each other. But sometimes on here I honestly think some people just hate NYC. . . it's like a curse they wish they could cast on us. I really couldn't care less but it's just sad people feel this way.

I also need to visit Philly SOON! I'm definitely going within this year or next. We're too close. My sister visited twice already, I'll go with her next time! A close friend of hers moved from Brooklyn to Philly actually.

Old 06-18-2010, 05:19 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
The Yankees RULE everything!!! (I'm sorry I'm a huge fan Lol)

If it's any consolation, I'd tear apart Boston; immensely, way before I would Chicago

Furthermore, WE ALL make up the USA and we can't function without each other. But sometimes on here I honestly think some people just hate NYC. . . it's like a curse they wish they could cast on us. I really couldn't care less but it's just sad people feel this way.

I also need to visit Philly SOON! I'm definitely going within this year or next. We're too close. My sister visited twice already, I'll go with her next time! A close friend of hers moved from Brooklyn to Philly actually.

Well not this week

We will see you in October again, this time the good guys win!

Make the trip to Philly, but don't expect NY

And it could be worse, honestly you could be a Mets fan

Old 06-18-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Well not this week

We will see you in October again, this time the good guys win!

Make the trip to Philly, but don't expect NY

And it could be worse, honestly you could be a Mets fan
Yall played a good game (I was so pissed yesterday 7-1 WTF!) . But expect another championship this year from us.
Who's standing at Number 1, as far as American League teams go?

Tampa Bay really needs to back up and lose more! Lol

Old 06-18-2010, 05:45 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,092,238 times
Quote:

Right. If brooklyn, a borough can even dent chicago that what do they think the whole city can do.

Walking around dowtown and across the brooklyn bridge to downtown bk today, made me realize how uncalled for new york is. All the excitement and vibrancy with three other boroughs,midtown manhattan and uptown to back it up. Which are all also vibrant

Old 06-18-2010, 05:46 PM

30 posts, read 51,421 times
Quote:
Just to be fair - how much of that is not on Staten Island? think even some of that retro fitted on land fill in Staten island

but in terms of urban parks Central and Grant in chicago are maybe the two best in the Country
Actually, I don't see any of them in Staten Island that count as parkland

The 100 Largest City Parks in the United States 2007

Old 06-18-2010, 06:54 PM

259 posts, read 543,467 times
Quote:
Honestly you're delusional.

It's fine that you love you're city and I'm not judging you on that. . . Chicago is probably cool and yes yall do yall own thing but in no way
do yall come close to us. Face it.

BROOKLYN can be compared to Chicago (Not even including the other 4 boroughs) with all the similarities that you mentioned.
I even think Brooklyn is smaller then yall and we still pretty much have the same things on your little list.

46 Million visitors for yall is really. . . nice but seriously who cares?

NYC is incomparable for a reason and you might think we're arrogant or "We think we're the best". . . but in all honestly we have a reason to feel that way. And it's been proven.

Lastly Michael Jordan is from Brooklyn, New York

you are missing the whole discussion...NYC has 8million people! That's a lot! Yes NYC has more of mostly everything lol but that's not the dicussion and it doesn't mean NYC is incomparable to Chicago and vice versa that's nonsense...no one is trying to make Chicago into NYC so please stop saying that lol let's all read the title of the topic and comprehend. Chicago isn't even the only city that's comparable to new York l...you can throw Philly in there also...for such a big urban cosmopolitian city people sure are displaying some close minded thinking lol there is more out there than NYC

Old 06-18-2010, 07:07 PM

259 posts, read 543,467 times
are you speaking on similarities or on quantity?

Old 06-18-2010, 07:45 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times
Quote:
2. Washington DC -19.4% - [7,617 acres]
3. San Francisco -18% [5,384 acres]
4. Jersey City -17.3% [1,660 acres]
5. Boston -16.3% [5,040 acres]
6. Philadelphia -12.6% [10,886 acres]
7. Long Beach -10.1% [3,275 acres]
8. Baltimore -9.5% [5,905 acres]
9. Chicago -8.2% [11,860 acres]
10. Los Angeles -7.9% [23,761 acres]
real answer - all of the above that might be close
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City