Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2010, 09:08 AM

27,555 posts, read 28,636,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post
What aspects of NYC are people comparing to other cities??? If people can figure that out, it would give a foundation for their arguments.
It's been said: we're comparing the quality and quantity of all things that NYC has to offer, as a whole, to that of every other city.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 06-20-2010 at 09:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 10:13 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,592,508 times
In the states, Philadelphia and some nothern Jersey cities are the only places that have a somewhat similar "vibe" as NYC. That is, at certain times they remind me of NYC. Chicago has never reminded me of NYC although it does have the closest skyline to Manhatten. But, it's vibe is very mid-western.
Oddly enough, I have felt a NYC vibe in Toronto, Canada moreso than Chicago. Obviously, LA has the entertainment business along with many former New Yorkers that also give it somewhat of a similarity but it ends with that. Closest to NYC-London, UK by far.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:24 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,088,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
In the states, Philadelphia and some nothern Jersey cities are the only places that have a somewhat similar "vibe" as NYC. That is, at certain times they remind me of NYC. Chicago has never reminded me of NYC although it does have the closest skyline to Manhatten. But, it's vibe is very mid-western.
Oddly enough, I have felt a NYC vibe in Toronto, Canada moreso than Chicago. Obviously, LA has the entertainment business along with many former New Yorkers that also give it somewhat of a similarity but it ends with that. Closest to NYC-London, UK by far.
i find it weird how chicago can be a skyscraper city and still bare little resemblance to new york. I dont see how thats possible. I've never been to chicago but still you would think......

Old 06-20-2010, 10:26 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,185,800 times
Quote:
Great post! I agree 100%

Old 06-20-2010, 11:32 AM

27,555 posts, read 28,636,675 times
Quote:
Baltimore also feels like a small chunk of NYC.

Old 06-20-2010, 04:04 PM

27 posts, read 85,104 times
Chicago for sure! Maybe Boston and San Francisco

Old 06-20-2010, 06:16 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,118,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futureworld View Post
Hi,

Having trouble finding the right city that would compare with New York City with excitment, arts, transportation, etc. Any ideas as what city in the US compare come close?
Minneapolis.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:18 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,034,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
i find it weird how chicago can be a skyscraper city and still bare little resemblance to new york. I dont see how thats possible. I've never been to chicago but still you would think......
Because New York City and Chicago have different architectural styles. But to know what Chicago really has in downtown you have to be in it to know.
Visit it! Then you'll know.

The same can be said for New York City, and I'm always astonished by the stores you guys have in New York City, very crafty building designs.

Hong Kong has little in common with the architectural style of New York City as well. But it's still a skyscraper city. They're just different.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:05 PM

2,549 posts, read 2,722,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
that fool deserved the facial
True dat!

Old 06-28-2010, 12:35 PM

2,549 posts, read 2,722,097 times
Default Yada yada yada...

Never mind comparisons...and just to get away from the "who has the tallest, or most, buildings slant...

Were I to have some of my life to live again, with a lot of money, I'd likely do it this way...

Spend post college years (22 to 28) in Manhattan. So much talk about what it has to offer and how it never sleeps. That's fine and dandy for a short term vacation (which I did many times there) but not so much for the average working class person. Also, if I had an unlimited budget, and could afford nicer digs, I'd have loved the styling apartment / penthouse and the ability to eat out and see entertainment.

Then I'd have settled into a quieter setting that would include more temperate weather. As much as I liked the seasons a la east coast, I imagine commuting and working through the extreme cold and heat / humidity would be a b*tch. No. I'd likely end up somewhere in Southern California on the coast...Malibu...Maybe Laguna. That would be solid. And the art / culture / entertainment isn't all that far away when periodically desired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City