Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 09:28 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,251,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
How did you come to that conclusion? Odd one.
Dunno Dub, maybe walking the streets of both cities will give one that conclusion. Is Philly glamorous, a tourist mecca, fashion capital, trendsetting shopping destination, anything in Philly like Madison, Fifth, Central?

Cultures of SF or LA are more similar to NY. Wealthy, glamorous, important, powerful, white collar (SF)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 09:29 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,949,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyman11 View Post
Dunno Dub, maybe walking the streets of both cities will give one that conclusion.

Is Philly glamorous, a tourist mecca, fashion capital, trendsetting shopping destination, anything in Philly like Madison, Fifth, Central?

I wouldn't call the Bronx, Queens, Staten Island, most of Brooklyn any of those things either.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
I wouldn't call the Bronx, Queens, Staten Island, most of Brooklyn any of those things either.
They're sections of the city NY, I wouldn't exactly call north Philly as sophisticated as Center City. Alas that does not matter because both parts are city Philadelphia.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
They're sections of the city NY, I wouldn't exactly call north Philly as sophisticated as Center City. Alas that does not matter because both parts are city Philadelphia.
To deny that Philly resembles parts of Brooklyn and Queens is insane. The cities are ~90 miles apart, they are going to have some resembelnce.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
To deny that Philly resembles parts of Brooklyn and Queens is insane. The cities are ~90 miles apart, they are going to have some resembelnce.
Who cares if they resemble each other? I thought the poster I responded to was talking about mindset not some brick built building resembling another one in a city south by 100 miles.

People make the city and the people of Philly are a complete 180 of the people in NY. I don't get this rubbish obsession with all things comparing how alike NY is to every other place. There's NY and LA, then there's the rest of the country aka flyover country. The elites fly from LAX to JFK on near daily routine and flood the streets of Manhattan conquer their desires for shopping, fashion, and sophisticated nightlife. No one from LA is flying to Philly to do these things..

Old 10-10-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Who cares if they resemble each other? I thought the poster I responded to was talking about mindset not some brick built building resembling another one in a city south by 100 miles.

People make the city and the people of Philly are a complete 180 of the people in NY. I don't get this rubbish obsession with all things comparing how alike NY is to every other place. There's NY and LA, then there's the rest of the country aka flyover country. The elites fly from LAX to JFK on near daily routine and flood the streets of Manhattan conquer their desires for shopping, fashion, and sophisticated nightlife. No one from LA is flying to Philly to do these things..
New York is a city of over 8 million, Philly has 1.5 million it would be impossible to make a blanket statement about these two cities.

I grew up in Manhattan, and have a lot of family that lives in Staten Island, many of my family members also live in Philly; I can assure you that they are not a 180 from one another.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:02 AM

58 posts, read 95,529 times
Philly definitely has some similarities with NYC.

Obviously there are differences too, but the two cities are like 50 miles apart at their closest points. Obviously there will be similarities.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP Lane View Post
Obviously there are differences too
Definitely agree.

Glamor, fashion, high end shopping, power, affluence, mindset, finance, transportation, sports success, diverse lot, education are some noticeable differences. Philly is similar to Baltimore, especially with the row homes but the two cities are no where close to the same class.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthfully19 View Post
@K.O.N.Y And how does chicago get so many tourist each year and no one knows much about it? 46 million visitors..and you'd be surprised how many New Yorkers have turned up in Chicago!
Chicago is a dying city with a dying economy. I really pity Chicago, the city is one of the most bipolar places I've come to see in my life. Half the city is a crime ridden, poverty stricken, hopeless wasteland while the other half flaunts wealth and corruption in the faces of the unfortunate south and west siders. What a despicably disgusting city where 5 year old children are gunned down for playing in their neighborhoods. Pathetic they were looking at possibilities to call the armed guards of the U.S military to protect Chicago. It's half the metro size of NY, less than half the CSA, and a quarter the size in city. The skyline is a fraction of the size and the place is a cold frigid wasteland when winter begins but somehow it compares to a city that's never known what sleep is? Please.. Chicago is no tourism mecca, there's nothing to see there that you cant anywhere else and when your located in such a depressed feeble region like the midwest, Chicago becomes a big deal to farmers in Kansas to make an annual trip.

What corruption and mediocrity can only exist in Chicago, the city epitomizes the gates of the underworld. No Chicago isn't the worst city although it comes close

Priced out New Yorkers go to places like Philly or Chicago. New Yorkers wanting a better change in scenery/weather go to Miami or LA. The ones that want to keep their mindset but try a new type of city head to SF or LA

Last edited by Slyman11; 10-10-2011 at 10:24 AM..

Old 10-10-2011, 10:24 AM

27,549 posts, read 28,636,675 times
Quote:
Priced out New Yorkers go to places like Philly or Chicago. New Yorkers wanting a better change in scenery/weather go to Miami or LA. The ones that want to keep their mindset but try a new type of city head to SF or LA.
Miami, SF or LA are nothing remotely like New York City, even though comparisons are often drawn. I guess I'll never understand this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City