Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 04:09 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,057,553 times

Advertisements

To the OP in terms of Excitement and Arts your next best bets will be Miami and Los Angeles. Probably Miami. I'm assuming by excitement you mean clubs which Miami is globally known as being the best for. Its 24 hours just like NY. If you get a place in downtown or SoBe the public transit is excellent and most is 24 hours. There's also a fair share of Taxis for crossing the causeway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 05:10 AM

976 posts, read 2,242,344 times
new york has no peer in the usa. only london and tokyo can compare. this whole chicago comparison is just silly.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:20 AM

9 posts, read 7,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
new york has no peer in the usa. only london and tokyo can compare. this whole chicago comparison is just silly.
Tell it to Chicagoans, many of them believe Chicago is just like New York only smaller and cleaner

Old 06-08-2010, 06:33 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,961,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
It always seemed like LA was NYC's peers to me. Chicago is like the little brother

Old 06-08-2010, 07:12 AM

161 posts, read 699,431 times
If it weren't for the entertainment business, Los Angeles would be Phoenix with beaches.

The only other city I've lived in that compares (to the same level as NYC) is London, which in my opinion surpasses New York in terms of things to do/see (for example: the Empire State Building is cool, but the history of the Tower of London is insane), attractiveness (parks, architecture, neighborhoods, etc), public transit (blows NYC out of the water in terms of efficiency), people (so much friendlier), and character (it's bustling while being ridiculously charming). It doesn't have the dining or nightlife NYC has, but I prefer cooking myself and I'd rather walk around Holland Park or Notting Hill at night than get wasted in a LES dive or an overpriced Meatpacking District lounge.

As for Chicago, people on this site give it a lot of props, but to the general public, Chicago has to be one of the most UNDERRATED cities in America. Up there with Baltimore, Seattle, and Cincinnati.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:17 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,090,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
If it weren't for the entertainment business, Los Angeles would be Phoenix with beaches.

The only other city I've lived in that compares (to the same level as NYC) is London, which in my opinion surpasses New York in terms of things to do/see (for example: the Empire State Building is cool, but the history of the Tower of London is insane), attractiveness (parks, architecture, neighborhoods, etc), public transit (blows NYC out of the water in terms of efficiency), people (so much friendlier), and character (it's bustling while being ridiculously charming). It doesn't have the dining or nightlife NYC has, but I prefer cooking myself and I'd rather walk around Holland Park or Notting Hill at night than get wasted in a LES dive or an overpriced Meatpacking District lounge.

As for Chicago, people on this site give it a lot of props, but to the general public, Chicago has to be one of the most UNDERRATED cities in America. Up there with Baltimore, Seattle, and Cincinnati.
But the empire state building is much more impressive than the ldn tower. New york is like ldn and hong kong combined. To each his own

Old 06-08-2010, 07:21 AM

27,555 posts, read 28,647,655 times
No other U.S. city compares to NYC. LA does not. The only cities I've been that do are London and Paris.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:25 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,405,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post
First lemme say whats good? Havent had a debate with you in a minute. To answer your question, There are a number of reasons why i say that. People only this site make a big deal out of public transportion. Like having a car is a bad thing, I just think thats retarded. Next, as crowded as NY is (especially Manhattan), what do these apartment & tenament buildings look like on the inside. I mean to get 1.6 million people on a 23 sq/mile island, Space is def. being sacrificed. It seem like people have an exaggerated image of NY...thats just my opinion. And a Burger wrapper on the ground, come on, im from Baltimore you'll see alot more than a wrapper in tha ground.

Jordan, im not suprised it doesnt make sense to you, but NY, unlike the cities you just mentioned, are pretty much self-contained cities within a city.

And is that NYers can put down every other city and its OK, but when someone does it to NY, they're considered a "hater".
for your first comment i would like to say i agree cause im not a fan of public transportation neither, but the public transportation in ny is pretty cool something you just have to go on cause its so big.

as for your second you really did not answer my question though , you said take out manhattan as if every other city has city life in every single corner of the city which isnt true.

im pretty sure outside the center of baltimore, philly , l.a, and chicago their are some pretty plain areas, or rough areas so to say just take out manhattan and look at the other 4 boroughs makes no sense because you can do that for every city in america.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:27 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,405,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post
It always seemed like LA was NYC's peers to me. Chicago is like the little brother
los angeles is only a peer because of its entertainment value , i wonder how L.A really is outside of hollywood.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:28 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,090,369 times
im pretty sure the other four boroughs eclipses other cities out-downtown regions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City