Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Classified Ads
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2009, 03:24 PM

12 posts, read 52,860 times

Advertisements

On December 19th I posted an ad to find work from my home, I received several responses mostly with similar work. They explained that their out of country business needed someone to cash a check then foward money for a fee. Now I know what your saying cause I said it too. But after many offers for the same type of transaction and being in a very bad place financially I decided to take a shot. Well, thank God I only did it once because now I am faced with the fact that the check was counterfit, I am now responsible for the amount ($3,900.00) and have to face my bank and decided on going to police and revealing circumstances. So PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not answer any of these ads, I don't want to see anyone else faced with my delema.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 07:56 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times
When in business yrs ago got a letter from NIGERIA (need I say more).
The letter had been opened and resealed by the Post Office.
I just laughed at what they (Nigeria) wanted me to do.
Have been around the barn a few times and know what the cow doo doo smells like.
Steve

Old 01-10-2009, 09:11 PM

718 posts, read 2,361,170 times
These scams are everywhere and in every shape and form! If it involves: cashier's check, money order, and/or WESTERN UNION, avoid at all costs! My sister was trying to sale her old appliances in the local newspaper, and was almost scammed by someone in New York doing something close to the same. As soon as she told me, "I get to keep some extra money out for my time since I have to send them change thru Western Union", I told to to respond with, cash or money order for the exact amount will be all she could take. And the appliances would not change hands until the money order cleared the bank. She never heard from them again.

I know hindsight is 20/20, but tell everyone you know. The way the economy is now, I have a feeling the offers will be getting more frequent and more elaborate and enticing. And for that reason, more innocent people like GlennMom will become victims!

Old 01-10-2009, 11:29 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennsMom View Post
On December 19th I posted an ad to find work from my home, I received several responses mostly with similar work. They explained that their out of country business needed someone to cash a check then foward money for a fee. Now I know what your saying cause I said it too. But after many offers for the same type of transaction and being in a very bad place financially I decided to take a shot. Well, thank God I only did it once because now I am faced with the fact that the check was counterfit, I am now responsible for the amount ($3,900.00) and have to face my bank and decided on going to police and revealing circumstances. So PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not answer any of these ads, I don't want to see anyone else faced with my delema.
Sorry to hear this, GlennsMom.

If these goons would only dedicate as much time and energy on legitimate endeavors . . . they'd be millionaires.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:33 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,498,624 times
They come in all shapes and sizes...look at that Bernie Madoff with the Ponzi scheme.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:56 AM

12 posts, read 52,860 times
I have sent a letter to local newspapers explaining what happened to me. When I went to police to fill out report they told me they were aware but could do nothing so I decided to write and hopefully they will publish. I can't image nothing can be done. Isn't that one of the jobs of a newspaper - informing the public - I realize that I was stupid - but when your back is up against the wall all logic leaves you I am hoping newspaper will print so that someone else will be spared.
Thank you

Old 01-19-2009, 11:13 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
I thought by now everyone KNEW this was a scam. I have been getting emails for years asking me to cash a check and I will get a share of the money. They go directly to my spam folder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Classified Ads