Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2010, 01:28 PM

2 posts, read 4,892 times

Advertisements

I know we are talking west-east here, but I have family and friends in both cities and would love to move in either direction (currently downtown).

My budget is 225K. (prefer 4br/2ba)
Newborn, so school not necessarily an issue, but I understand re-sale depends on it to a certain extent.
Would like to sell in 5 yrs in order to move out of state. So, re-sale is def. an issue.

Now, I am hoping you can help me here since I did not grow up in the area and not too familiar with the perception of these 2 cities. How diverse are these 2 cities? I would like to stay in a diverse neighborhood for myself and my kids growth.. What do you think of the current state of these cities and future growth possibilities (Avon is getting a Cleveland Clinic branch and Twinsburg is getting a KSU branch campus renovation)? Do you think any of these 2 cities is over built and therefore difficult to retain value? I did some research and looks like average Twinsburg houses fell about 13% in the last 5 years whereas Avon fell by 16%..
Do people not prefer buying in the snow belt areas like east side?

I work in the downtown area, so that would be a consideration too...

Please help in anyway you can.. thank you..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 01:57 PM

389 posts, read 804,712 times
I live in Avon and like it. It's really up and coming, lots of building going on when other cities are not. Shopping popping up everywhere. It's Lorain County so things like property taxes, sales tax, insurance etc.. a little cheaper. I believe the city has handled the growth well so far. What I like about it is you see a fair amount of specialty stores and services as the incomes will support that. Crocker Park is 10 minutes away as well. Avon is actually quite large but you would never know it as most things are concentrated on the North side of town near 83 and 254 (Detroit). You can live in a nice development or if that's not your thing there is plenty of land to build your own home.

Schools are rated excellent with distinction! However, the levy madness appears that it will soon envelop Avon as well. Avon has one of the lowest per pupil expenses of around $8000 annually but it's not enough. Avon suffered their FIRST school levy defeat ever and is trying again tomorrow in a special election. It is so nuts but Ohio law will not recognize any new tax money from all the hundreds of new houses built and all the new corporations moving in, it really sucks.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:57 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Honestly there is very little difference between them.
I would suggest Avon ONLY because there is a tiny bit more to do. Lake County Captains. More retail. and an easier commute to downtown.
Schools are a non-issue as they are both good. Slight edge to Avon but almost imperceptibly.
Neither suburb is very diverse at all. Twinsburg may have a slight edge there.
Oddly most folks don't factor in snowfall as much as you would think when buying a home. It snows everywhere here. No getting away from it.
Both will retain value in the long term.

Sorry to not really help but those cities aren't all that different from each other.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:30 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,632,773 times
Twinsburg is a nice area too. Not a far drive from Downtown Cleveland on I-480, and there is a lot of new businesses moving in. The Cleveland Clinic is building a massive campus out in Twinsburg right off the 480 freeway.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:12 AM

389 posts, read 804,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavercreek33 View Post
Twinsburg is a nice area too. Not a far drive from Downtown Cleveland on I-480, and there is a lot of new businesses moving in. The Cleveland Clinic is building a massive campus out in Twinsburg right off the 480 freeway.
LOL, they are building a satelite in Avon as well, in fact, there is going to be a new exit off of 90 near lear/nagle for it soon

Old 08-03-2010, 06:18 AM

458 posts, read 1,223,532 times
I would give the edge to Avon over Twinsburg for one reason, better Lake access. Other than that, the two suburbs are the same to me.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:12 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Isn't Tri-C building a campus in Avon, too? Or is that Bay?

Old 08-03-2010, 08:18 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,489,872 times
Avon (Lake) is pretty much a parking lot during the day, very annoying. It is a real nice area though, and way close to everything. Good demographics too. Twinsburg is still nice, but is getting a little dark, and in 15 years will be like Cleveland Heights. A cop was shot and killed there last year for example. Both places (like most outer ring burbs) are ghost towns at night. I would move to Avon Lake though, just my preference.

Old 08-03-2010, 05:28 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,632,773 times
I too, as another poster mentioned, would lean more towards Avon because of the lake. But Twinsburg is closer to the national park and some beautiful countryside.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:53 AM

13 posts, read 29,181 times
My vote is Twinsburg. Up and coming. Fresh and new. But I tend to gravitate towards open areas. Avon is to congested for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland