Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 07:58 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,267,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
It's also not true that a levy has never failed in Lakewood. There were two consecutive very high-profile failures in the early 90's. Then people realized that pinching pennies was no way to stay competitive with the outer suburbs (Lakewood didn't even reinstate sports at its middle schools until 1997-98, and even then, only one team for all three schools), and they began to assent to tax increases.
And at least of the levies in the late 90s were "stealth elections." That is, the elections were held at odd times, well publicized in the schools and less publicized amongst those groups (usually the senior groups) who would oppose the levies.

I remember one of those elections clearly. No signs around the community. No advanced notice and the like. I happened to see the election signs as I was heading off to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 09:18 AM

1,975 posts, read 5,211,391 times
Quote:
This is an interesting link, but I think it's also interesting as a fellow Clevelander turned Chicagoan that Lakewood is safer than nearly every community area in Chicago. I've been curious about this, so I looked up Chicago robbery rates on CLEARMAP and Lakewood robbery rates on the Lakewood Police website. Lakewood fares (I think surprisingly) well -- its rate is well less than half that of Lakeview or Lincoln Park, and it's even less than Lincoln Square. It's comparable to Bridgeport, widely known as one of the safest neighborhoods in our city.

But, I reiterate, good link. It's the kind of stuff you won't find in the newspaper.
I get a similar impression, although I'm not surprised. I would think Lakewood is safer than any area in Chicago except for some far outer neighborhoods like Edison Park or Mt. Greenwood.

I wonder how it compares to Oak Park or Evanston? Probably not too bad I would think. If it is higher than those areas I bet it's mostly due to the fact that Lakewood has a lot more bars, which will create a certain amount of incidences.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:41 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,267,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
I get a similar impression, although I'm not surprised. I would think Lakewood is safer than any area in Chicago except for some far outer neighborhoods like Edison Park or Mt. Greenwood.

I wonder how it compares to Oak Park or Evanston? Probably not too bad I would think. If it is higher than those areas I bet it's mostly due to the fact that Lakewood has a lot more bars, which will create a certain amount of incidences.
===================================

I think that there are real similarities to Oak Park and Evanston, maybe with less crime due to a more aggressive police department.

As for the bars, they are pretty much concentrated on or near W117th St. on the EAST side and along Detroit Ave. on the WEST side.

My wife and I would walk 5-8 miles DAILY in Lakewood and I had very few issues with anyone, much less drunks.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:05 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,211,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
===================================

I think that there are real similarities to Oak Park and Evanston, maybe with less crime due to a more aggressive police department.

As for the bars, they are pretty much concentrated on or near W117th St. on the EAST side and along Detroit Ave. on the WEST side.

My wife and I would walk 5-8 miles DAILY in Lakewood and I had very few issues with anyone, much less drunks.
I would say there are good amount of bars all throughout Lakewood, with concentrations on the west end on Detroit and on the east end on Madison. Evanston and Oak Park have next to no bars and are not nightlife destintions like Lakewood.

I know the worst part Evanston is worse than anywhere in Lakewood. Oak Park is upscale, but borders some serious ghetto (think Shaker Hts).

Old 01-14-2011, 01:03 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times
I'm going to need proof that a school levy ever failed in Lakewood.
Not buying it.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:09 PM

4,649 posts, read 4,970,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I'm going to need proof that a school levy ever failed in Lakewood.
Not buying it.
You can call someone in the school district and ask them, you can go the library and look old newspapers on microfilm, you can go door-to-door...or you can believe me. I was a student in the Lakewood schools when it happened.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:29 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times
Quote:
I was a student in the Lakewood schools when it happened.
That's goud enough for me.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:02 AM

246 posts, read 475,957 times
Best parts of Lakewood are CLifton Park, and North of Clifton Blvd. If you aren't looking for a 3000 sq ft house on Lake Ave then the Neighborhood adjacent to Clifton Park (South of Clifton Blvd & West of W. Clifton Rd.) has very nice homes (includes Arlington and Overlook Dr) Also love the Side streets North of Lake Ave and West of Lakewood Park (i.e Maple Cliff, Erie Cliff, Kenneth, Lakeland, Rosalie, Sylvan, cliffdale etc.).
Good Streets elsewhere in the City with few Duplexes include Arthur (between Franklin and Detroit). Lewis, Parkway, Grace, Clarence and Waterbury (all between Franklin and Detroit), W. Clifton Rd south of Detoit is nice. Clifton also has many wonderful homes. Many side streets also have lovely homes but often sit next to duplexes which isn't necessarily bad but not as nice as living next to the actual homeowner.

By the way Section 8 is allowed in every city. Lakewood just happens to have a huge number of rental properties compared to other suburbs and after the real estate crash may landlords turned to section 8 to help fill vacancies easier.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:57 AM

124 posts, read 304,285 times
What about the houses on McKinley between Hilliard and Madison?

Old 03-11-2011, 08:45 PM

7 posts, read 10,444 times
My recently married daughter owns a home (Bunts Ave area) in Lakewood for over a decade. We never had any concerns for her. Her many friends are all alumni of Baldwin Wallace and they all choose to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland