Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 12:16 PM

33 posts, read 85,987 times

Advertisements

I'd really appreciate some help with some of these streets where we are looking at homes to buy for ourselves to live in.

Around the eastern part of west park,
Josyln Rd. near Triskett Ave.
Berea Rd. north of Lorain
141st St. near Triskett
W.140th in the first couple of blocks south of Lorain
The area near the Variety Theater, W. 118th south of Lorain
W. 115th, W.112th, W. 114th north of Lorain and South of 90

Would love to hear from people familiar with these streets. Basically, hoping for stable streets, not too many foreclosures, also wondering if there are any real trouble spots in these areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 01:42 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
My neighborhood, although I live on the western edge.

Of your list, my personal choice would be these 2:

Joslyn Rd
Berea Rd

Very safe nice areas.
Anything around Triskett is pretty nice and safe.

The only area I would avoid would be 140th South of Lorain. Kinda' sketchy.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:40 AM

Thanks, it's helpful to know which areas to avoid. Anyone else out there have experience with these areas? What is the general feel of these areas? Are they stable in terms of value? Are there young families buying homes in these areas? Investors?

Old 03-21-2011, 10:58 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,489,872 times
The area is so hit miss, and it really varies by street. Unless you actually go visit the streets, it really is hard to tell. The best bet is to drive down the street yourself, and completely avoid any street with rental houses on it, because those go bad first.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:06 PM

2 posts, read 3,313 times
Hello Justine

You had posted a few weeks prior, and I had replied. I'm not sure if you saw my post. But I'm glad to give you my input. I live in the W.117th and Lorain area, near the Variety Theater, and I've been here a long time, with no plans of leaving.

Here is what I had posted before. Someone prior to me had posted that the Catholic schools in the area were "getting ghetto", and that walking down the street at night was "completely out of the question":

Really? I'll agree that the Cleve. schools speak for themselves, but you are way off base by saying that the Catholic schools are getting ghetto. I attended an open house last month at St. Vincent de Paul, and the school is FAR, FAR from "getting ghetto". I'm sure St. Ignatius at West Blvd. is also very good.

Walking down the street at night is out of the question, huh? I live in the area, and have lived here for many years, and not once have I ever felt unsafe or threatened when walking down the street (be it day or night). (And I've been out, and continue to be out, at all hours for various reasons.)

Justine: the home prices have held their own, considering the market we're in. It's a great neighborhood, I encourage you to check us out.

There have been some undesirables that have moved in over the years, but what neighborhood in the city proper hasn't seen this happen? The few, minor issues that I've come across have been handled by working with the Westown CDC, and the police. (The 1st district police are very good about working with the Westown CDC.)

I've been here many years, and I could have EASILY left. But it's a great neighborhood, and I (like many of my neighbors) work hard to make sure it remains stable. It's too close to too many things/places that I use/visit. For example, you'd be VERY close to: I-90, I-71, Target, Giant Eagle, Home Depot, Halloran Park (which includes a pool, basketball/tennis courts, skating rink), Marc's, a family owned florist, Eastman Branch Library (part of the Cleve. Public Library), churches of various faiths, and some great ethnic restaurants like the Middle East spots, Mexican, and a wonderful Italian restaurant at W.130 and
[URL="//www.city-data.com/city/Lorain-Ohio.html"]Lorain[/URL].

I won't make it sound like the neighborhood hasn't had any issues, but the neighbors work hard to resolve those issues. It's certainly nothing like you would find on the other side of town.

As far as the undesirables, they are very transient people. They may cause some occasional static, but with a little persistence and help from the 1st District and Westown, these undesirables usually pack their bags and move on to another neighborhood.

I can't give you anything on the noise/dust issue. I live right at 117th and Lorain, so I'm not close enough to give you any input. Although, I know people who live right against the freeway, and I have never heard any complaints from them. Also, of all the meetings I go to, and "gossip" I hear, I have never heard anyone complain about freeway noise or dust.

I hope I've given you good information, and I hope to have you in the neighborhood.

I hope that helps. To address your concerns in this new post: The streets and neigborhood are both very stable. There are a few foreclosures, but it's not widespread at all.

As far as trouble spots, I can speak for my area, and there are no major issues. Nothing that makes me want to leave. As I posted above in red, the minor issues that do come up are addressed by working with the Westown Comm. Dev't. Corp., and the 1st District Police (the two entities do a decent job of addressing residents' needs and concerns).

The Variety is being worked on, and there are plans to make it into a Capital Theater (W. 65th & Detroit) or Cedar-Lee type of venue. I think it's taking a little longer than anticipated, but what major renovation doesn't?

"W. 115th, W.112th, W. 114th north of Lorain and South of 90" are pretty good too. I think anything east of West Blvd. is where it starts to get sketchy.

As I wrote above, I hope this helps, and I hope to have you in the neighborhood.

Let me know if you need any more info.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:14 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,923 times
I lived off W 143 south of Lorain near John Marshall. So you know, that is directly under the primary flight path. That close to the airport at times it was difficult talking when the planes went over.

If you trace that flight path toward downtown, you will see that you are looking either side of that line, be careful where you are looking.

I was just driving around this fall looking at homes in west park. I'd like many of the streets west of Munn, east of Rocky River, north of Triskett and south of say Fisher. Normandy is one nice street, Norway, Montrose, and even Fisher (it is close to I-90)

Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by justine View Post
I'd really appreciate some help with some of these streets where we are looking at homes to buy for ourselves to live in.

Around the eastern part of west park,
Josyln Rd. near Triskett Ave.
Berea Rd. north of Lorain
141st St. near Triskett

Would love to hear from people familiar with these streets. Basically, hoping for stable streets, not too many foreclosures, also wondering if there are any real trouble spots in these areas.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:14 AM

Nice Post Ididntdoit.
I also have a good good friend that lives by you Ididntdoit. On Fidelity. Gorgeous house and they have awesome neighbors.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:22 AM

117 posts, read 244,443 times

I can only speak for those areas.... They have great houses with lots of style... the area itself has been stable for about 5 years now... Some of the houses have taken a hit because of the economy but the area is starting to come together through block clubs and neighborhood safety programs.

If your in to older houses (not sure if your buying or renting) the area is great. It's not crime ridden... The school systems I can't talk about because I don't have kids.

That's just my take.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:16 AM

Thanks everyone for posting. I think that the neighborhood has what we want in terms of convenience, walkability and anemities. It sounds like it is holding its own and improving. I think having the Giant Eagle on W. 117th, the middle eastern grocery stores, the public library, several parks is a big plus for people who like to be able to walk to things. If the neighborhood is coming together over safety issues that is a big plus too. I think other people will see the value of these types of things soon as gas prices rise and many people tire of having to drive just to buy milk or bread. We are buying and now our main concern will be style of house (colonial, bunglow etc) and how much work needs to be put into the house.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justine View Post
the middle eastern grocery stores,

Don't forget the Mexican grocery store (Mercado) next to Mi Pueblo Restaraunt. You will be shocked when you walk in there. I thought it was a tiny little store front my first time. There is a whole back area to that place that is just incredible! Never know it from the outside.
They have produce and meat. Just awesome.
Recommend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland