Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 10:50 PM

17 posts, read 70,527 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone could offer any suggestions/advice on Lakewood? I have posted before with questions on Shaker/Cleveland Hts areas(my husb, myself and our 3 and 5 yr old sons are moving to Cleveland in July). We are headed out in a few days to find a place to live and are thinking we want to broaden our search some. We need to be reasonable distance to Cleveland Clinic. We want safe with decent schools. We have heard Lakewood mentioned a lot but wondering if this would be a good fit for a young family? We are only going to be in the area for a year and want to rent an Apartment for easiness sake. We will want to keep rent at a max of 1000.00/mo but prefer lower obviously Not knowing this area at all we would love some suggestions of where to start looking-any street guidelines or apartments that are family freindly? What about schools? We also thought since we will only be here a year we would like to take advantage of the Lake and would love to be within a view of it. If anyone has a better suggestion of where to look within a 20 min commute to the clinic I would really love any comments! I really appreciate this forum-don't know what I would do without the advice I have already gotten here! THANK YOU!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 11:09 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
If I were you I'd look at doubles in Lakewood. These are houses with two separate living units, usually one upstairs and the other downstairs. Although in some cases the units could be side by side instead, each with their own upstairs and downstairs within the units. These living units will typically consist of a living room, formal dining room, eat-in kitchen, and two or three bedrooms. Some might also feature a sunroom and/or front porch, as well.

I'd look at those instead of at larger apartment buildings, in which the units tend to be smaller and more conducive to singles and childless couples as opposed to families. You should be able to find something suitable in your price range. Keep in mind, however, that you're likely to be responsible for your own heating costs, unlike the larger multi-unit apartment buildings where heat is typically included in rent.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:00 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,277,933 times
Look in Shaker Heights. As compared to Lakewood, it's safer, got better schools, and closer to the Cleveland Clinic. Also, Shaker Heights has a lot of very nice duplex homes that I think would be in your price range.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:13 PM

4,664 posts, read 4,977,549 times
Not saying Shaker is dangerous, but according to this site it's got higher rates of robbery, burglary, theft, and auto theft than Lakewood does. Why are we saying it's safer?

Closer to the Clinic, though, certainly, and maybe a better choice overall.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:38 AM
jmv

96 posts, read 214,949 times
I would not say one city is safer than the other and I would even say that neither city is dangerous. Based on my experience,Shaker Hts is an extremely safe place to live with a family. Both Lakewood and Shaker have the amount of crime you would expect in a semi urban environment. In some categories Lakewood's stats are marginally higher than Shaker's (assault, theft, rape), in some cases they are exactly the same (burglary), and in some cases Shaker's are marginally higher than Lakewood's (robbery, auto theft). The point is that all of the inner ring suburbs have similar crime profiles (again, not what I would consider dangerous). However, if that is more than you feel comfortable with, then you should look to the outer ring suburbs and the exurbs...but your commute will be much longer.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Not saying Shaker is dangerous, but according to this site it's got higher rates of robbery, burglary, theft, and auto theft than Lakewood does. Why are we saying it's safer?

I'll concede that. The safer comment may be off, both are fairly safe. I still think Shaker Heights is a better choice overall, but Lakewood isn't bad.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:30 PM

420 posts, read 1,042,456 times
Default I guess crime is like winning the lottery

just my 2 cents l lived Cleveland Shaker border granted some 20+ years ago,crime was not even thought of. I lived in Lakewood some time ago
never felt unsafe. Never had a problem in any place.
I live Close to Gordon Square area for the past 10 years even when
most people thought OMG about the neighborhood.No problem
That said , to the OP if your are not going to be here more then a year
stay east . I also think , rent what is known as a Cleveland Double, One unit down One unit up house . Most are in family friendly areas no matter
where it is.ONE QUESTION IS YOUR little one going to start kindergarden here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post

Old 03-30-2011, 03:41 PM

17 posts, read 70,527 times
Thanks so much guys! Appreciate all the comments-lots of help! Yes our son will start kindergarten and the other will start preschool. Any thoughts on Lomond(school)? It seems to be the school where most apartment and house vacancies are right now??

Old 03-30-2011, 09:02 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,632,154 times
I'd look at Rocky River to be honest. Rentals are going to be around the same and the schools are some of the top in the county.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
I'd look at Rocky River to be honest. Rentals are going to be around the same and the schools are some of the top in the county.
But is Rocky River 20 minutes from the Cleveland Clinic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland