Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2011, 08:18 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,234,990 times

Advertisements

Wow, I haven't logged on here since starting grad school.

Well, now I've graduated, and my job straight out of school will be in Downtown Cleveland.

I am wondering what the best way to search for apartments would be, since I will have a limited time to look for one (by that I mean, I can come in for about 2.5 days and that's it!). In Chicago, sometimes it's easier to just walk down the street and find postings that way. Then there's always Craigslist... Is it similar in Cleveland, or do I need to go through an apartment broker?

I am looking either in the warehouse district downtown, Edgewater/Gold Coast or Lakewood. I am leaving a high rise in Chicago and don't want to live in a "house" apartment, if that makes sense.... does this requirement knock any of the above mentioned areas out of the equation?

Also! Where the heck are all the grocery stores? I don't want to buy a car if I can avoid it, but if I can't find a place with good groceries nearby (alternately, does anyone deliver groceries?) I may have to.

Ack! I didn't mean to throw in all these "where should I live?" points ... I mainly would like to know the best search method, but any advice would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 11:20 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,285,962 times
^ Hello and Welcome!

I would recommend in order:
1) Downtown -- CAR NO
2) Lakewood/Gold Coast -- CAR YES
3) Tremont...specifically Tremont Place Lofts, Cleveland Ohio Apartments -- CAR MAYBE
4) Shaker Square -- CAR NO
5) University Circle -- specifically The Triangle Apartments | Capstone Company Campus | CAR NO

All above I mentioned have nice high-rises in cool neighborhoods.

Grocery Stores
1) Downtown -- Constantino's Market (W. 9th -- Warehouse District)
2) Lakewood/Gold Coast -- Sapell's Bi-Rite (W.117th and Clifton)
3) Tremont -- nearby grocery stores and corner stores, FreshFork delivery
4) Shaker Square -- Dave's on the Square
5) University Circle -- Murray Hill Market, CO-Op, soon to be Constantino's

Way to get to work:
1) Downtown -- Walk
2) Lakewood/Gold Coast -- Bus or Drive
3) Tremont -- Bus, Drive, or walk to W.25th for Train
4) Shaker Square -- Train
5) University Circle -- Train or Healthline BRT

Most highrises in Cleveland are listed online...such as the website I gave you. If you're looking for houses or smaller buildings "for rent" signs are the way to go.

These guys deliver groceries to at least Tremont: https://www.myfreshfork.com/main.php

Old 05-25-2011, 06:48 AM

Thank you so much for this! It's a really good stepping stone for me. I appreciate it. When I moved to Chicago, I had plenty of time to get ready, but this move is pretty much out of the blue!

Old 05-25-2011, 07:37 AM

202 posts, read 367,928 times
supernerdgirl,

costello put together a great list. I'm not sure what your rent range is, but downtown is definitely a great place to be without a car and you can get to the other areas listed via public transportation. You could also get to West Side Market and Dave's depending on where you live downtown, but obviously it would be quicker if you had a car. Just an option!

I'm from NEOhio, but just moved back from Chicago. I'll be moving in downtown near E. 4th neighborhood between June and July. Let me know if you have anymore questions or need thoughts on the various groups (rec sports and otherwise) in town to meet people!

Cheers,
Joe

Old 05-30-2011, 10:14 AM

Thanks Joe! I'll keep in touch as my move gets closer.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:25 AM

1,975 posts, read 5,213,745 times
I'm a Chicago resident who is from the Cleveland area, so let me know if you have any questions.

I agree that Costello's list above is good, but from what I gather I think you might like Ohio City. Some may consider Ohio City a bit sketchy, but if you lived in Edgewater then I don't think it would bother you. Ohio City has the West Side Market (best produce market in the country IMHO), a rail stop that is only one stop out of downtown, a full service grocery store (Dave's), the Great Lakes Brewery, and many other cool bars and restaurants.

If you live in the Gold Coast area of Lakewood then the only walkable grocery option is Sappell's, but it's not that great. There is also only a couple of small grocery stores downtown. This will be more of an issue in Cleveland than in Chicago.

Personally I wouldn't want to live without a car in Cleveland because your options for just about everything will be more limited than in Chicago.

Good luck it C-Town!

Old 06-02-2011, 11:45 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Ohio City is mostly a lot safer then people think. And it is, IMO, the COOLEST inner city neighborhood. Cool houses.. I mean very cool... stuff you won't see many other places.
Have I said COOL enough?

Old 06-08-2011, 06:27 PM

thanks, everyone for your help! I decided to go with an apartment downtown in Huron Square, I can walk or take the bus or trolley to work, which was the biggest factor for me. I did like Ohio City, Edgewater, Detroit Shoreway and Lakewood, but I need more density!

Old 06-08-2011, 06:54 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,285,962 times
Congrats and Welcome to Downtown!

FYI, nearby is a 24-hr gym (with yoga, classes, tanning etc) Cleveland, Ohio Gym and Fitness, Open 24 Hours, Areas Largest GYM

Constantino's Market is good for groceries downtown: Constantino's Market - Home (you can take the trolley there as well.
)
I'm thinking you'll be frequenting E.4th Street a ton! East Fourth Neighborhood: Homepages - "Cleveland's Premiere Downtown Living Destination"

Also, don't forget you have 5 world-class performance arts theaters two blocks away at Playhouse Square: PlayhouseSquare :: Home

OK, I'm done typing ...ENJOY!

Old 06-14-2011, 01:46 PM

14 posts, read 40,284 times
I live on Edgewater drive. For groceries, you can walk to Sapelle's or you can take the bus to Giant Eagleon 117th. There is also a Nature's bin on detroit. To get there by cab costs $6.50. You can also take a 3 min bus to Madison, then get on the train which takes you downtown or to the the Airport. I highly recommend Edgewater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland