Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 08:10 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,414,797 times

Advertisements

The Plain Dealer published an article this morning about the West Side Market(it celebrated it's 99th birthday today). In the article they posted a picture(below) showing who shops at the market. There were some surprises, so I thought I'd post it.

West Side Market, at 99, could build stronger footing on sponsorships, marketing efforts | cleveland.com

(Click the link if the picture is hard to read on these forums. You can zoom in on the Plain Dealer's website).

I find it particularly interesting that, overall, there seems to be a higher number of east siders going to the WEST side market. It really makes you wonder if the whole east side=cultured, west side=curmudgeonly working class sterotype isn't quite as overblown as one might think(just kidding..sort of).

For instance, how crazy is it that Mentor has a higher concentration of west side market shoppers than Westlake? That's either saying something about Mentor, or something else about Westlake. And I don't think Mentor is what people think of when you hear "East side snobbery".

Also, it's interesting that almost half of the people who shop at the West Side Market make between $40,000-100,000 a year, while the highest concentration of shoppers reside either downtown or on the near west side. I guess people with money do live in the city. Quick, somebody let the Plain Dealer in on this tidbit!

Another observation that sort of stuck out to me; there isn't as many people from University Circle/Coventry heading across town for fresh produce. I figured they would have a higher concentration of WSM regulars given the makeup of those neighborhoods, as well as the easy access to heavy rail via the red line.

How often do you go to the WSM? I remember a few of the local high schools would take the trip up there when I was a kid. Now that I'm in Akron, I've tried to make it up there at least once a year(during the summer months, of course).

What do you think of the proposed changes mentioned in the article?

Got any good WSM related stories?

Last edited by Townes Van Zandt; 11-02-2011 at 08:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 07:33 AM

126 posts, read 339,112 times
That's a pretty cool study.

On average, I go to the Market every other week, usually on Saturdays. Now that I work in the city, sometimes I go during the week on my lunch break.

I go more often in the summer because I enjoy the live music they have in the park across from the Market. Also, I can ride my bike there.

I'm from Cleveland Heights, so the bike isn't really an option in the winter. Since I don't have a car, I have to take at least two buses to get across town and what takes half an hour to drive takes an hour and a half to ride the bus. Some days, I just can't deal with such a huge amount of time, so I don't go to the Market. I would go much more often in the winter if there was a direct route or shorter transfer times between buses/rail. Maybe that's the reason there aren't more shoppers from Coventry?

I really love the Market because it's all local business and has so much more character than a grocery store. It's also a lot cheaper! Well, I guess it depends on how you look at it. I get produce at a great price at the Market, but I pay a lot more for things like bread and cheese. That's because the quality is so much better and it's worth it!

Old 11-03-2011, 11:11 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,172,111 times
The WSM, while its popularity has definitely grown over the years, is still somewhat of a mystery to a lot of people in the area. Then, there are the ones in the 'burbs who are afraid to enter the city limits (Its their loss). Personally, I'm there at least once a month. But, I try to go there as much as possible. Best produce: The Basketeria

Old 11-03-2011, 02:16 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,279,817 times
I live in University Circle and I go about every other week, always on Saturdays.

I always jump on the Redline at E.120- Euclid and get off at the W.25th stop. Ironic you mentioned about the ease of this, because it's so freaking simple!

Old 11-03-2011, 02:46 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,025,943 times
Quote:
how crazy is it that Mentor has a higher concentration of west side market shoppers than Westlake?
Mentor and Westlake are both "blue" on the map, so a roughly equal concentration. A better comparison would be Mentor vs. Parma. Parma is a super quick drive to the market down Pearl Rd, but a pretty low concentration of market shoppers. But that rings true to me, visiting my grandparents in Parma every summer, we only went to the market once or twice.

Quote:
Another observation that sort of stuck out to me; there isn't as many people from University Circle/Coventry heading across town for fresh produce
When I went to Case, it was very rare to go to the west side at all, especially if you didn't have a car. To us the City of Cleveland was downtown, Univ. Circle, and the stretches of Euclid and Chester that connect the two. Needless to say, we were missing out! We are blue though, as high as anywhere else on the east side.

I really disliked this comment: "[we need] eat-in/sit down counter locations like sushi, ice cream, pizza,(see:LA and Philly markets) and more gourmet slanted places, fewer old time raw meat purveyors." The old-time raw meat purveyors is what makes the place unique! It's what sets it apart from similar urban markets I've seen on the east coast, that and the awesome old world architecture. Don't lose sight of what makes Cleveland Cleveland. It doesn't have to be a mall food court.

I don't think the market needs to be 100% Ohio grown. After all, this way there's plenty of demand for BOTH the market AND the local farmer's markets, and everyone wins.

I also like the fact that we're running out of parking. It's the truest sign that OC has become a viable urban area, more Boston than Youngstown. Maybe it'll inspire improvements in RTA, ridership will increase, and then neighborhoods near other RTA stops will improve too...again, this is what happens in a desirable city.

Good article, thanks a lot for sharing.

Last edited by averysgore; 11-03-2011 at 03:16 PM..

Old 11-03-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by averysgore View Post
Mentor and Westlake are both "blue" on the map, so a roughly equal concentration. A better comparison would be Mentor vs. Parma. Parma is a super quick drive to the market down Pearl Rd, but a pretty low concentration of market shoppers. But that rings true to me, visiting my grandparents in Parma every summer, we only went to the market once or twice.
Woops, you're right. My point still stands though. I find it surprising that a place as far away as Mentor has a higher concentration of shoppers than many nearby west side suburbs(like Parma, as you mentioned).

Quote:
When I went to Case, it was very rare to go to the west side at all, especially if you didn't have a car. To us the City of Cleveland was downtown, Univ. Circle, and the stretches of Euclid and Chester that connect the two. Needless to say, we were missing out! We are blue though, as high as anywhere else on the east side.
That makes sense. I wonder if the higher-than-average concentration of shoppers near Case suggests that this might be changing? I read an article a while back about the increased ridership at the University Circle Rapid station, which might suggest that more students are headed across town.

Old 11-03-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofuzzy View Post
I'm from Cleveland Heights, so the bike isn't really an option in the winter. Since I don't have a car, I have to take at least two buses to get across town and what takes half an hour to drive takes an hour and a half to ride the bus. Some days, I just can't deal with such a huge amount of time, so I don't go to the Market. I would go much more often in the winter if there was a direct route or shorter transfer times between buses/rail. Maybe that's the reason there aren't more shoppers from Coventry?
Makes sense. I always wondered why one of the areas most historic neighborhoods was never given a rapid stop.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:13 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,025,943 times
Quote:
I always wondered why one of the areas most historic neighborhoods was never given a rapid stop.
Did Euclid Heights Rd. have a streetcar line back in the day? It sure looks like it did. I think that reviving the streetcar would be the only way to possibly connect Coventry with the rapid.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:25 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
BB (before baby): We went twice a month
AB (after baby) we haven't been since the baby was born

Old 11-04-2011, 09:36 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,279,817 times
Quote:
Did Euclid Heights Rd. have a streetcar line back in the day? It sure looks like it did. I think that reviving the streetcar would be the only way to possibly connect Coventry with the rapid.
yep!

I think this map shoes all the rail car lines that used to run through Cleveland at the turn of the century (note you can see Euclid Hts Blvd): http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/histo...eland-1913.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland