Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 06:37 AM

338 posts, read 559,979 times

Advertisements

I have never used the Akron/Canton Airport. The flights our of this airport are cheaper when compared to those from Cleveland Hopkins Airport. I am looking for pros and cons of using Akron/Canton over Cleveland Hopkins for a flight to Orlando.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 07:02 AM

130 posts, read 299,637 times
I fly pretty often and use BOTH CLE & CAK. There is no cons with CAK that I can think of. The only thing I would say is if you live further from CAK than CLE...that could be one. Also if you prefer bigger airports with all the shops and restaurants...that could also be a con. CAK is TINY but that also means faster to get to the gate, faster to get in and out. I fly by price, which ever is the best deal, I choose. I recommend you do the same UNLESS you live further and the price difference doesn't justify the further drive.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:13 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,937,749 times
Youngstown Warren also has cheap flights to Tampa and Orlando.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeo62186 View Post
I fly pretty often and use BOTH CLE & CAK. There is no cons with CAK that I can think of. The only thing I would say is if you live further from CAK than CLE...that could be one. Also if you prefer bigger airports with all the shops and restaurants...that could also be a con. CAK is TINY but that also means faster to get to the gate, faster to get in and out. I fly by price, which ever is the best deal, I choose. I recommend you do the same UNLESS you live further and the price difference doesn't justify the further drive.
I need several tickets and the money saved from the cheaper flights from CAK would be worth it for me.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:14 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,937,749 times
Where do you live in the Cleveland area, if you're on the east side it might be worth it for you to fly Allegiant out of Youngstown (which btw is not located in Ytown, it's north of the city by 15 minutes or so near the Youngstown Air Force Reserve Base.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
Where do you live in the Cleveland area, if you're on the east side it might be worth it for you to fly Allegiant out of Youngstown (which btw is not located in Ytown, it's north of the city by 15 minutes or so near the Youngstown Air Force Reserve Base.
I live on the east side. I have never heard of Allegiant. They do have cheap tickets to Orlando, less than 100 bucks to Orlando.

I am now considering Southwest Airline's web fare only (110 one way to Orlando) because Southwest has a good reputation.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:55 AM

306 posts, read 821,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deskjockey View Post
I live on the east side. I have never heard of Allegiant. They do have cheap tickets to Orlando, less than 100 bucks to Orlando.

I am now considering Southwest Airline's web fare only (110 one way to Orlando) because Southwest has a good reputation.
Allegiant is a low cost airline out of Las Vegas. They mostly serve small markets and fly to major warm weather tourism hubs.

One thing to note is that Allegiant doesn't fly to Orlando International Airport. instead, it flies to Orlando Sanford Airport. The advantage of flying into Sanford is that its much smaller so there's few crowds. But its also farther away from the tourism areas of Orlando and downtown. You'll probably pay more for cabs and if you're headed to Disney, there aren't any shuttles as you have at MCO.

Old 12-20-2011, 06:00 PM

65 posts, read 164,401 times
Cons---the frequency of service is much greater at CLE than CAK. So if you miss your flight or have to make a change, you're in a much better position if you have a ticket from CLE than from Canton/Akron.

Also, depends where you live, but you may spend a lot of money on gas getting down to CAK. Also don't forget to figure in the loss of time traveling down there, unless you live near that airport.

Also, i'm not sure what airline you're thinking of, but I'd never fly airtran!

Old 12-20-2011, 10:05 PM

63 posts, read 107,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty711 View Post
Allegiant is a low cost airline out of Las Vegas. They mostly serve small markets and fly to major warm weather tourism hubs.

One thing to note is that Allegiant doesn't fly to Orlando International Airport. instead, it flies to Orlando Sanford Airport. The advantage of flying into Sanford is that its much smaller so there's few crowds. But its also farther away from the tourism areas of Orlando and downtown. You'll probably pay more for cabs and if you're headed to Disney, there aren't any shuttles as you have at MCO.
I believe that Allegiant switched to Orlando International from Sanford earlier this year; you might want to check on that. (and my son found out the cab fare between the two airports is $65). They also have only two flights a week, on Tuesday and Friday evenings, so you need to schedule any vacation around that. But the cost savings is worth working with their schedule.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:16 PM

63 posts, read 107,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw50 View Post
Cons---the frequency of service is much greater at CLE than CAK. So if you miss your flight or have to make a change, you're in a much better position if you have a ticket from CLE than from Canton/Akron.

Also, depends where you live, but you may spend a lot of money on gas getting down to CAK. Also don't forget to figure in the loss of time traveling down there, unless you live near that airport.

Also, i'm not sure what airline you're thinking of, but I'd never fly airtran!
You better explain yourself why you would never fly Airtran. Have you ever flown them? I have flown AirTran out of CAK and had great service.

And just how much extra gas do you use to get down there? 50 miles from Cleveland will be $6. To avoid the congestion and frustration getting into and through CLE (and missing your flight) would be worth far more that $6. The extra time you spend at CLE, you could be down to CAK.

CAK has grown a lot in the past few years. It has all the benefits of a large airport now without the congestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland