Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2011, 08:27 PM

1,879 posts, read 2,028,006 times

Advertisements

We can all agree that there's an abundance of great independent restaurants and bars in this town. But there's a relative dearth of (good) non-big box shopping here. However, I'm sure there are plenty of diamonds in the rough, and now, just in time for the holidays, is your chance to share them!

What are your favorite independent clothing stores, bookstores, kitchen stores, specialty food stores, underground polka record stores, etc in Cleveland?

(Since I haven't lived here in a few years, I can't contribute much myself. I guess Big Fun and Mac's in Coventry, but I'm sure you all know them already.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 08:45 PM

765 posts, read 2,129,460 times
Dredger's Union on E. 4th street downtown is pretty cool. It's got some unique stuff, at reasonable prices, and a lot of it is made in CLE.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:44 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,287,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuyFromCleveland18 View Post
Dredger's Union on E. 4th street downtown is pretty cool. It's got some unique stuff, at reasonable prices, and a lot of it is made in CLE.
Also on E.4th is CLE Clothing Co

Old 12-19-2011, 10:50 PM

765 posts, read 2,129,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costello_musicman View Post
Also on E.4th is CLE Clothing Co
Not knocking the CLE store, but isn't this just a part of the Cleveland + Visitors center there? It's basically just Cleveland centric merchandise, which is great for tourists, but only maybe one or two purchases by locals. Dredger's Union is more of a mini department store with clothing, kitchen gadgets, books, art, furniture, and knickknacks. Plus a lot of the stuff at Dredger's Union is hand-designed, and made in the USA. I don't know if I'd shop at the CLE store on a regular basis, but I'd probably shop at Dredger's Union.

Last edited by AGuyFromCleveland18; 12-19-2011 at 11:22 PM..

Old 12-20-2011, 08:14 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averysgore View Post
But there's a relative dearth of (good) non-big box shopping here.
Totally disagree. There are LOTS of indy stores around here if you look for them.

Need a purse? Not to mention "Green".

Cosmic Bobbins | Sustainable Accessories for Good

O wait, forgot about this link. Check it out:

ShopLOCAL Gift Guide « CoolCleveland Blog

Old 12-20-2011, 08:17 AM
jmv

96 posts, read 214,975 times
Juma in Little Italy (located in the old school house). Beautiful jewelry, art work, gifts and lots of it made by local artists. Love that store.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:32 AM

192 posts, read 492,416 times
there's A LOT of independant shops in cleveland! oh my gosh!

you just have to really be in the know about where to go......

lots of artists' markets..... check out clevelandhandmade.com, also the Bazzar Bizarre is an AMAZING cultural treat.

check out any of the hip neighborhoods (rocky river, lakewood, edgewater, gordon square, market square/ohio city, tremont, little italy, cleveland heights, shaker square/larchmere) and you'll find independant shops. also, farmers' markets like the North Union farmers' market at shaker square.

thing is you have to be in the know about where to go, and sometimes youll stumble upon something.... hummm ihave an idea for a book that i could write........... ;-)

Old 12-20-2011, 04:38 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,287,370 times
Little Italy and Tremont have great shops for the holidays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland