Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 06:36 PM

7 posts, read 12,430 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Now before you say anything, no I'm not crazy. I was born in Ohio and grew up living in the Eastern suburbs of Cleveland. Moved to Sydney with my family at 16 and have finished college and started my career there. My wife and I (she's Australian but has visited CLE with me before) love Sydney but have decided to move back to CLE as I will be taking a job with one of the local sports teams.

Other than the job (which is a dream job), what attracts us to Cleveland is the low cost of living compared to Sydney (which may just be the most expensive city in the world), as well as all the great development that is happening which I believe will make Cleveland itself one of the best places to live in the country.

I want to get some input on living recommendations. Although it's just the two of us, we would like to have a 2 bedroom apartment or townhouse so that family can come stay with us and still be comfortable. I'd like to be in a neighborhood close to the urban redevelopment, such as the University Circle area or East 4th etc. The issue is we're probably going to be looking to spend under $1,000 per month on rent. We will also be looking at starting a family in the next 1-2 years so that should be taken into consideration.

I should probably add that we love the outdoors and are really into history and culture. We also appreciate good food and enjoy live events like sports, live music and theatre. My wife is a photographer and a bit of a socialite!

Any advice would be much appreciated. I've been reading these forums for awhile and I know there are a lot of great and helpful posters here.

Thanks

Last edited by d.robuck; 03-19-2012 at 06:41 PM.. Reason: Further Information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 08:37 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,287,370 times
First of all thanks for the post and welcome back to Cleveland!

IMO the two place you mentioned (University Circle and E 4th) are my two favorite urban neighborhoods in Cleveland. Both are busting at the seems right now with development and residential.

When do you plan on moving?

There are many places you could live and enjoy.

Whenever the date gets closer, ask more specifc questions and we can be more help. Until then, welcome back to Cleveland!

Old 03-19-2012, 08:45 PM

Thanks for the reply. We're actually moving in just a few weeks, and we will have the option of staying with family until we find the right place.

In terms of UC and E4, what do you think the chances are of finding a 2 bedroom apartment for less than $1000 a month?

Last edited by d.robuck; 03-19-2012 at 08:46 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 03-19-2012, 09:01 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,287,370 times
^I sent you a PM. I may know a place.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:04 PM

869 posts, read 1,278,714 times
Welcome to Cleveland!

UC and E.4th are becoming so expensive because of their popularity. If you can find a place under $1000, I'd grab it in a second! E.4th one bedrooms are at that price and I believe there is a waiting list now. Most likely it would be in Little Italy or Hessler Rd in University Circle.

Ohio City may be another area you'd want to look.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:15 PM

Thanks, I'll check out Ohio city as well. What about Lakewood? I hear lots of good things but my understanding is that it is more suburban and there aren't as many rental options. One thing we are used to in Australia is being able to look at all the rental properties online with great photos and information, but I know that's not how things are here.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:21 PM

Lakewood would be my next recommendation...and yes, it seems looking for "for rent" signs is the way to go for non-complexes.

Lakewood is surprisingly urban -- it's the densest city between Chicago and Philly I've heard.

Also regarding kids, it has great schools. It could be a consideration a couple years from now for that aspect.

A few items from the news:

Coolest Suburbs Worth a Visit- Page 4 - Articles | Travel + Leisure

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2009...os_best_p.html

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/phot...473908,00.html

Mayor announces Lakewood's ranking as a cool suburb at popular Melt Lakewood ranked as top-10 'coolest suburb' by national magazine

Old 03-19-2012, 09:37 PM

Thanks a lot, that is really helpful. I'll check out the link you PM'ed as well. Sounds like Lakewood provides a good balance for what we're looking for.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:50 PM

Especially regarding your social wife, I'd recommend joining some groups sooner than later:

For example:
Cleveland Plays: Co-Ed Sports Leagues in Cleveland: Volleyball, Football, Basketball, Softball, Soccer, and many other team sports.
Cleveland 2030
Charities: Charities - cleveland.com
Gym: Downtown Cleveland Gyms, Ohio and Fitness Clubs, Open 24 Hours, Areas Largest GYM, Boot Camps, Spinning, Yoga, Zumba,

Also, something called Global Cleveland was just recently launched -- they may be interesting: http://www.globalclevelandinitiative.com/default.aspx

Old 03-20-2012, 07:31 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.robuck View Post
Thanks, I'll check out Ohio city as well. What about Lakewood? I hear lots of good things but my understanding is that it is more suburban and there aren't as many rental options. One thing we are used to in Australia is being able to look at all the rental properties online with great photos and information, but I know that's not how things are here.
Aren't many rental options?
You are talking about Lakewood OHIO right? lol There are more rental units in Lakewood then probably any other suburb in Ohio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland