Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 09:01 AM

101 posts, read 204,054 times

Advertisements

Well I will not argue with anyone. There are nicer areas of Cleveland Heights than others. Try looking towards the border of Shaker Heights and University Heights. But in my opinion go check things out for yourself. Drive around the neighborhoods both west side and east side and see what area you like the most. IF possible ask locals in shops etc too. that will clear things up for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 10:06 AM

11 posts, read 14,379 times
Why don't you visit Cleveland Heights High and see if you can see your child going there. It's not just about academics, it's about the social atmosphere as well. How many security guards work there? How many fights break out each day? How segregated are the social groups by race? Ask yourselves those questions and then see if speaking the truth is racist. It's not like it is this wonderfully, diverse, utopian-like atmosphere that you kid yourselves it is. Cleveland Heights is a fun, urban, diverse suburb, but there is a reason why those that live there and can afford it send their children to private schools. There is also a reason why all those beautiful Cleveland Heights homes are sitting on the market for years and selling way under value. Don't kid yourselves or chastise someone who speaks the truth. You are part of the problem if you can't at lease admit that there are some major issues leading to a rapid decline in these close eastern suburbs.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:16 AM

3,413 posts, read 5,122,095 times
^ Maybe, but it is my belief that the "rapid decline" you speak of will be counteracted by the new generation of Millennials who sees the value in urban areas and the lack of value in suburbs.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
State standardized test scores are not really a good measure of how good a school is. They tend to reflect more socioeconomic status than the actual quality of the schools. Shaker, for instance, is not ranked among the highest for standardized test scores, but it is tops in the state for number of National Merit Finalists. The schools are high quality, but many of the students who come from poor backgrounds and have not had the emphasis on education in their family struggle. Just because there are more people who are academically challenged in a district, does not mean that the schools are worse than in a lily white suburb where all the kids are groomed to be academic dynamos. In fact, given how well the schools do under their circumstances, it probably means the schools are better, for one because the teachers need to work harder to educate those kids, and for another because I think it's better for kids to go to a district where they're exposed to people from all walks of life, rather than one set of demographics.
And, oh yes, shame on those "lily white suburbs" whose parents care about their child's academics and don't value exposing their kids to "all walks of life" over having a quality education and happy social environment. HA!

Old 01-30-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
^ Maybe, but it is my belief that the "rapid decline" you speak of will be counteracted by the new generation of Millennials who sees the value in urban areas and the lack of value in suburbs.
People will usually do what they see is best for their kids. Apparently a lot of people are deciding that a Heights education is not what is best for their children. The ones that value living in Heights, which I can understand, are also, more and more, the ones who send their kids to private schools. The only way to change that is to improve the situation at the schools, to get more people to choose public. How to do that?

Old 01-30-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'mRonBurgundy? View Post
And, oh yes, shame on those "lily white suburbs" whose parents care about their child's academics and don't value exposing their kids to "all walks of life" over having a quality education and happy social environment. HA!
Stop trying to provoke something. I was stating an opinion in my former post, not judging those who don't share my opinion. There is room for all different viewpoints in this world, and by all means, if living in a lily white suburb is what suits you, then go for it. As long as you're not harming anyone else, your opinions are your business. I am not doing anyone harm by stating an opinion, so there is no need to rebuttle with such sarcasm.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'mRonBurgundy? View Post
People will usually do what they see is best for their kids. Apparently a lot of people are deciding that a Heights education is not what is best for their children. The ones that value living in Heights, which I can understand, are also, more and more, the ones who send their kids to private schools. The only way to change that is to improve the situation at the schools, to get more people to cthoose public. How to do that?
And I'm saying that a lot of those people's decisions are probably based on perception which is not necessarily in line with reality. All of the people I've known who have gone to Heights that had families that valued education have done very well. Two of my friends went to Ivy League schools, one went to Pratt, another went to an elite liberal arts college. If the students want to learn, Heights makes it very possible to succeed-- moreso than other schools like say, Brush. However, the fact is that many of the students there are not there to learn, or come from families that don't place the same emphasis on education. But you know what? Knowing people like that makes those students more prepared to deal with the real world, because in the real world there are lots of people like that, and you need to know how to deal with them. I also think it makes them more accepting and tolerant of different races and cultures. Yes, it can cause problems at times, but I think those benefits outweigh these problems, and I think people's perceptions of the problems are often exaggerated compared to the reality.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:47 AM

Not trying to provoke anger, just discussion. I was annoyed by your response that called the other poster's opinion "racist and slanderous lies". And then your attempts to offend those in "Lily white suburbs". I get sick of people in the Heights not addressing the problems and acting like everything is just dandy, and in fact, superior, when clearly it is not. Yes there is good and bad. I think that my child will get plenty of time to learn how to deal with the real world upon high school graduation. Just my opinion. And in helping someone decide where to live, honesty is the best policy. If the Heights is indeed the community one wants for their family, for the reasons you mentioned, then they can decide that based on all opinions, which may all ring true. Also, not sure when your friends graduated, but Heights High has seen a rapid decline in the past 15-20 years. Again, walk the halls.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:56 AM

They all graduated in '06 or '07. Heights did then and does now have very good programs for kids who want to do well academically, musically, or artistically. As I said, the problem is there are a large percentage of students who are not interested in the academics. However, learning to deal with, understand, and sympathise with those people is valuable. I came from Shaker and went to a college where the majority of kids had been raised in environments like it seems you're raising your kids in. Many of them were unable to deal with lower class, uneducated people, and were ignorant, disrespectful, and rude when they it came to interacting with them.

Last edited by Cleverfield; 01-30-2013 at 11:14 AM..

Old 01-30-2013, 11:43 AM

I currently do live in Shaker. My husband grew up in Cleve Hts and attended Heights High. I grew up in a mixed income white community. I went to Cleveland State and adjusted to the diversity quite well. I think raising your children to be sympathetic to all walks of life is important. But I don't begrudge those that choose the "safe" route either. Learning to deal with, understand, and sympathize is one thing, setting different standards and ignoring real problems in a community for the sake of being nice is not helpful. That's all my point is. It's also not fair to call someone racist for pointing out that a school and community is in decline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland