Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 04:45 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,897,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Girl102492 View Post
Thanks for the great information everyone! I was wondering the same question. While my husband and I are not gay, we are in our 40s, have no children and want to be in a "happening place." Lakewood seems nice, but maybe now we'll look in the W 116-102nd area because we want a big house and don't want to spend more than $200,000.
Some of those bigger houses in that neighborhood might be more than you think...

My wife and I lived in Lakewood but knew many people in the Edgewater area. The main differences are:

a.)Taxes will be cheaper in Edgewater because it's the City of Cleveland
b.)City services are vastly superior in Lakewood(police response, recycling/waste management, library, schools etc...)

Of course these two things are related; higher taxes=more public amenities. Even though you don't have children, you'll appreciate the better public school facilities since they improve property values.

My friend told me today that he is finding some really, really cheap properties on some good streets in Lakewood. Some of them are foreclosures though...now's a good time to buy something there.

Last edited by twange; 02-09-2008 at 06:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 08:32 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,919,996 times
Im not too sure of what areas are gay friendly and what areas are not. I know one of the more friendly areas are Lakewood, and the far westside of Cleveland right near Lakewood.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:51 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,374,659 times
Yeah , Lakewood indeed. Many gay freindly bars (I found that out accidently)

Old 02-10-2008, 01:34 AM

4,520 posts, read 5,093,240 times
Shaker Square, on the East Side, is also very gay friendly. Demographically and architecturally, it's very similar to Edgewater and Lakewood, although it's more diverse, more African Americans. The Square area, like Edgewater, is flush against an upscale suburb, Shaker Heights in this case. By some weird historical quirk, though SS is inside Cleveland, kids go to Shaker Schools which, although they've dropped slightly in recent years, are still among the area's (and State's) best. Shaker Square describes, ilterally, a square of trendy shops and restaurants in an historic area. Larchmere, which is Cleveland's main antiques district, is one block north of the Square. You also have direct rapid transit service downtown and to the airport -- but there are no nearby freeways, if that's your thing.

Also, University Circle, described earlier w/ the major museums and cultural institutions of the city, is just down the hill from Shaker Square down the breathtaking Doan Creek ravine.

As to being gay friendly -- once one of the many, neat old brownstone apt building in SS was an all-gay building... That should tell you something.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:01 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,313,636 times
Oberlin's great but I think it's a real stretch to say it's 20 minutes from Cleveland.

Old 02-24-2008, 01:02 PM

4,649 posts, read 4,970,942 times
Hey, assuming 120 MPH on the freeways is perfectly reasonable if you have a house you're really desperate to sell!

Old 02-27-2008, 01:25 PM

245 posts, read 1,272,758 times
Lakewood is pretty much it if you want "tried and trusted" areas. It's not like there's 15 different gayborhoods in Cleveland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland