Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2007, 09:32 AM

1 posts, read 4,215 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]I am a native New Yorker and I lived here all my life. Recently, I accepted a promotion to Cleveland. My wife is from North Canton and we are looking for area somewhere in between. We have been looking at areas outside of Akron, more specifically, Arlington Rd. I am a little concerned that this area may be too far for me to commute to Cleveland. Is there any areas about 10-20 mins. north on 77 that have similar amenities (food, shopping, entertainment, etc.)? [/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 02:08 PM

302 posts, read 1,101,416 times
Default on 77

Fairlawn has tons of shopping and places to eat. Its right off of 77, but its kinda far from Cleveland. There is really no cities directly on 77 that have big malls or shopping, but the Brecksville, Broadview Hts, Independence area have such places within 20 minutes drive. They're also fairly close to Akron, about 40 minutes, Canton would be further. Macedonia, Strongsville, Garfield Heights, and Parma have shopping areas right around that area.

Old 09-11-2007, 04:38 PM

16 posts, read 81,169 times
Copley is right next to Fairlawn, and has more housing selection. Bath might also be a consdieration. Best wishes!

Old 09-12-2007, 07:21 AM

80 posts, read 344,800 times
Default You don't have to commute in Cleveland

I know people who have commuted and it gets to be a real drag after a while, especially in the snow! Cleveland is one city that still has good suburbs closer in (and we still have a pretty good train system if you want to ditch the car altogether!) Inner city suburbs like Lakewood, Rocky River, Shaker Heights and Cleveland Heights are worth taking a look at. Also try Westlake, Bay Village, Brecksville, Hudson for good schools. I've also heard good things about Independence and I like Mayfield Village too (Mayfield Village was voted a best place to live by Cleveland magazine). Good luck, there are lots of different housing and lifestyle options in Greater Cleveland and the Metroparks are awesome! I would want to live anywhere close to those!

Old 10-09-2007, 07:49 PM

68 posts, read 227,025 times
Moms commutes from Akron(the valley) to cleveland and it takes her about 45 minutes each way. One thing about alot of the cleveland commutes compared with bigger city commutes is that 45 miles can take you 45 minutes as opposed to 6 miles taking an hour and a half.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:24 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,899,833 times
I agree that if you're working in Cleveland, don't venture too far or it will start to suck. It's not so much the traffic (as Cleveland's isn't that bad compared to East coast cities), but when the snowstorms hit, it can be a drag. The questions I have before recommending a place to live is:

a.)Do you have kids and are schools important
b.)Being from NYC are you looking for a place that's walkable to shops/entertainment and is close to public transportation
c.)Are you looking for a more rural, quiet atmosphere but within close proximity to amenities
d.)Do you want a newer house or a earlier era home
e.)Aesthetically, what are you looking for? More of an urban setting or white picket fences.

These are important questions to ask as Cleveland has many option in terms of neighborhoods.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:29 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
Small point
You are driving to cleveland 5 times a week.
You are probably driving to your in laws 5 times every 6 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: