Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 09:42 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
I'll graciously look over the fact that you should have known that around 3 pages ago. (ya, got jokes)
I was trying to be nice ...

Old 12-21-2012, 09:48 AM

3,281 posts, read 6,277,933 times
There are maybe half a dozen cities in North America that fit the bill for Andrew for wide-spread density, amenities, public transport, etc. While Cleveland doesn't really have it on a wide-scale, we do have a number of great neighborhoods that fall into such a category and offer options for those who desire such a living environment. That's good enough for me!

FYI, I have no idea what the motivations may be for why Andrew is on here constantly bashing Cleveland, but perhaps if he feels like he's being ganged up on he should consider taking a break on posting here for a while.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:02 AM

4,484 posts, read 6,237,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
FYI, I have no idea what the motivations may be for why Andrew is on here constantly bashing Cleveland, but perhaps if he feels like he's being ganged up on he should consider taking a break on posting here for a while.
IMO - there is no reason to come on to the Cleveland forum bashing Cleveland. Especially, assuming superiority because you live in Chicago. Big whoop. You can keep Chicago.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:08 PM

8 posts, read 14,108 times
There must have been a CHHS girl 30 years ago who rejected him.

Or perhaps he found out he shouldn't talk during Cleveland Orchestra concerts.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:42 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,454,330 times
Quote:
I'm not a Clevelander. I am a New Yorker living in Cincinnati.
I'm still waiting to hear how Cincinnati is better than Chicago.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:03 PM

103 posts, read 210,306 times
Expecting Ohio City, Downtown, University Circle, Tremont, and the Detroit Shoreway to have the vibrant walkable feel of urban parts of Chicago is a bit like the the commercial we had on tv a couple years ago that had this guy yelling photosynthesize to an empty flower pot (presumably with something he just planted). Relax, it'll take some time. Most of those areas were scary places 20 years ago and have just turned the corner of late. We'll get there someday.

The thing that concerns me still about Cleveland's future is the continuing decline of formerly stable working class neighborhoods into crime ridden areas. In 20 years the hip neighborhoods to move to today will all likely be safer and better to live in but at the rate things are going now, places like Old Brooklyn or Lee-Miles or West Boulevard that are okay places now may no longer be so. What this town (and really this whole part of the country) needs is a source of decent-paying blue collar jobs to give some life to working class areas. Unfortunately it doesn't look like that will/can happen at this point so the attracting yuppies and hipsters strategy is the best we can realistically hope for. I do with we could maintain some more of the integrity of the neighborhoods (some of those new buildings in University Circle... who thought that looked good!?).

Old 12-21-2012, 04:07 PM

4,484 posts, read 6,237,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
I'll take Cincinnati over Chicago any day. If it works for me I really don't need to convince anyone else.

But since I have lived in VA Beach, why don't you tell me how Norfolk VA is better than Cincy.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:29 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Don't encourage TomJones123! LOL

I have some ideas about that, but that's fodder for another thread. This is the Cleveland forum, lest we forget.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:38 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
Quote:
Dig that! Chicago has MAJOR QOL issues. Drugs, gangs, very high murder rate, and not to mention large swaths of the city are in extreme poverty. Sounds like paradise to me.
Kind of like Cleveland's East Side, no? Plus increasingly large swaths of the West Side these days.

Chicago "has" those things. It isn't "defined" by those things, however.

At least in Chicago it's offset by gentrified and wealthy areas that take up a huge amount of territory. That's able to carry the rest of the city, and there are lots of cool and hip and fun areas that draw young college grads to move here each year by the thousands. Something Cleveland could use desperately.

(BTW, Cleveland's per capita murder rate is higher than Chicago's. A fact I've provided the proof for over and over again. Until that changes, Clevelanders should refrain from crowing about Chicago's murder rate, don't you think?)

Old 12-21-2012, 06:44 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
There are maybe half a dozen cities in North America that fit the bill for Andrew for wide-spread density, amenities, public transport, etc. While Cleveland doesn't really have it on a wide-scale, we do have a number of great neighborhoods that fall into such a category and offer options for those who desire such a living environment. That's good enough for me!

Not bashing. Just telling it like it is.

I've seen so much hyperbole (not to mention outright falsehoods) about Cleveland on this forum... I'm just trying to balance things out and keep it real. I don't want to see potential relocators be misled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland