Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 08:49 PM

3,415 posts, read 5,133,232 times

Advertisements

The cultural assets that Cleveland offers can rival any of the larger cities in this country, and these things are more affordable and accessible here than in many of those larger cities. Why doesn't Cleveland start marketing itself to more people as an affordable place to live with access 1st class arts and culture? It really could be a huge selling point, and I don't think most people around the country are aware of how great our cultural offerings are.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:10 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,949,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
The cultural assets that Cleveland offers can rival any of the larger cities in this country, and these things are more affordable and accessible here than in many of those larger cities. Why doesn't Cleveland start marketing itself to more people as an affordable place to live with access 1st class arts and culture? It really could be a huge selling point, and I don't think most people around the country are aware of how great our cultural offerings are.
I agree. In this economy, Cleveland is very affordable and a very manageable area in which to live. Cleveland should include marketing itself as a cultural destination for visitors as well.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:42 PM

674 posts, read 1,056,599 times
To quote Hot in Cleveland...

"He showed me all around Cleveland, and I'm telling you it's nothing like we think. They have symphonies and museums and light opera - OK, so nobody really likes those things, but they have 'em!"

Old 12-18-2012, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhAcid View Post

"He showed me all around Cleveland, and I'm telling you it's nothing like we think. They have symphonies and museums and light opera - OK, so nobody really likes those things, but they have 'em!"
The latter isn't really true. The theaters, museums, and orchestra are all very well attended in Cleveland. They wouldn't survive in a city our size without good attendance.

Old 12-19-2012, 12:08 AM

4,069 posts, read 7,325,522 times
Quote:
The latter isn't really true. The theaters, museums, and orchestra are all very well attended in Cleveland. They wouldn't survive in a city our size without good attendance.
Pretty much the only people I ever found in Cleveland who were willing to do those sorts of things on a regular basis mostly all lived in the Heights area and Shaker Square and all that... and they were mostly oh, so snooty and snobby and haughty about it all, so pleased with themselves for being so very "highbrow" and so disdainful of people who weren't into all that quite so much (like, for instance, those dreadful, culturally impoverished West Siders -- Gasp!). Even when they just went to the Cinematheque to see a foreign film or to Arabica for coffee, they put on airs about it, like they were engaging in some oh, so rarefied activity...

That's what was so frustrating about Cleveland, to me... All the petty pretentiousness...

And that's why I prefer where I live now, where people who engage in those "cultural" activities simply take pleasure in them and are matter-of-fact about it, with no need to "put on airs" or look down their noses at others...

Old 12-19-2012, 05:07 AM

11,074 posts, read 12,471,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Pretty much the only people I ever found in Cleveland who were willing to do those sorts of things on a regular basis mostly all lived in the Heights area and Shaker Square and all that... and they were mostly oh, so snooty and snobby and haughty about it all, so pleased with themselves for being so very "highbrow" and so disdainful of people who weren't into all that quite so much (like, for instance, those dreadful, culturally impoverished West Siders -- Gasp!). Even when they just went to the Cinematheque to see a foreign film or to Arabica for coffee, they put on airs about it, like they were engaging in some oh, so rarefied activity...

That's what was so frustrating about Cleveland, to me... All the petty pretentiousness...

And that's why I prefer where I live now, where people who engage in those "cultural" activities simply take pleasure in them and are matter-of-fact about it, with no need to "put on airs" or look down their noses at others...
It just never ends, Andy. Never ever. Sad really.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:58 AM

14,690 posts, read 14,665,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhAcid View Post

LOL, nice.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post

Oh no, no snooty people in Chicago at all. Evanston and the whole north side, and downtown is just a big old blue collar paradise .

Old 12-19-2012, 07:25 AM

41,984 posts, read 75,252,667 times
Quote:
Seems the only "highbrow" cultural entity in Cleveland that has failed is classical ballet, and the failure of the Cleveland Ballet was more about mismanagement and petty artistic jealousies than it was about a lack of attendance. Is there any movement toward re-establishing a professional company in Cleveland?

Old 12-19-2012, 09:57 AM

4,677 posts, read 4,990,463 times
Quote:
It's a joke. From a sitcom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland