Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 12:51 PM

306 posts, read 821,382 times

Advertisements

I'm originally from St. Clair Shores so assuming you want something similar, Willoughby, Mentor and Mentor on the Lake fit the bill just fine. I'm confused by your farmhouses comment as there is very little left of Old Mentor. The biggest difference you'll find between Mentor and Willoughby and SCS is that Mentor and Willoughby are more retail, more families, a little more traffic, less lakefront mansions and some more snow than home. Willoughby has a cute little downtown (a little larger than 9/Mack district) but also a stretch of big box retail. There's nothing in NEO that's as focused on lakes and marinas as SCS and Harrison Twp. are. Much of west Lake County reminds me of southern Macomb County. The Mayfield area is a good idea as well. Places like Aurora and Chardon are nice but they would be a pretty big adjustment if you're coming from SCS.

Last edited by Marty711; 02-04-2013 at 01:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 06:34 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,104,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty711 View Post
I'm originally from St. Clair Shores so assuming you want something similar, Willoughby, Mentor and Mentor on the Lake fit the bill just fine. I'm confused by your farmhouses comment as there is very little left of Old Mentor. The biggest difference you'll find between Mentor and Willoughby and SCS is that Mentor and Willoughby are more retail, more families, a little more traffic, less lakefront mansions and some more snow than home. Willoughby has a cute little downtown (a little larger than 9/Mack district) but also a stretch of big box retail. There's nothing in NEO that's as focused on lakes and marinas as SCS and Harrison Twp. are. Much of west Lake County reminds me of southern Macomb County. The Mayfield area is a good idea as well. Places like Aurora and Chardon are nice but they would be a pretty big adjustment if you're coming from SCS.
Yes, having lived in both Macomb County and NE Ohio, Mentor-on-the-Lake totally reminds me of St. Clair Shores.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:42 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,836,572 times
My wife grew up in Mentor and my in-laws are still there (we live in Cleveland Heights). Mentor-on-the-Lake is a bit more working class/rougher/seedier than Mentor itself in her opinion (though it's still a comparison to Mentor so it'd still be fine). Personally, I'd do Mentor itself or Mayfield. Willoughby is nice, but I don't know whether the schools are good or not so you'd have to look into that.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:35 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,320,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uthinkso View Post
Honestly my manager is in Strongsville and says the commute is rough. I would love to live in Mentor but have only come across 1850's farm houses. I have heard that Plainesville and Willoughby are a bit on the seedy side of things. Is that not an accurate assessment?
I'm surprised you've only been able to find "1850s farm houses" in Mentor. The town has been growing by leaps and bounds in the past few decades and there are plenty of newer suburban subdivisions.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:59 PM

9 posts, read 18,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
I'm surprised you've only been able to find "1850s farm houses" in Mentor. The town has been growing by leaps and bounds in the past few decades and there are plenty of newer suburban subdivisions.

To be fair I am looking to lease a property rather than purchase so that could be what is giving me the skewed view of the area. We are looking to slow things down a bit from our current life in St. Clair Shores. From what I am told Chardon has excellent schools, nice golf courses, and is more rural than St. Clair Shores. That is really what we are looking for. My wife and I have friends that live on the west side of Michigan in the Lowell/Clarksville area and it is a much slower way of life out there. Every time we visit we comment that it would be so nice to raise children in a place like that. With Chardon I think we are capturing that rural feel with a quaint town area. Am I off base in my assumptions of Chardon?

We will be in town all weekend and will get to spend time looking over the area, so I will be sure to report back.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:01 PM

37 posts, read 58,049 times
If your trying to stay in the middle-upper class, maybe you should look at rentals in Chardon, Solon, Bratenhl ( misspelled) and University Hts.? These are all good neighborhoods with good schools. All of the suburbs listed are located on the far east side the same side Mentor and your commute time would be much more shorter. If you or your spouse have time, check out available rental properties in those areas. If your job is written in stone, than go for it ! Buy yourself a nice home in nieghborhood you and your family love the best. If you have any more questions big or small just post it, we are here for you.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:18 PM

11,061 posts, read 12,456,973 times
^ None of those places are particularly close to Mentor. UH is an innerring suburb, and Bratenahl is surrounded by Cleveland. Solon is more south east than east. If being close to Mentor is a priority, look in Lake County.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:34 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,104,158 times
Chardon is an easy drive to Mentor and still quite rural in feel. My in-laws in Mentor take back roads and can be to the Chardon Wal-mart in 15 minutes. Just be aware that it is the buckle of the snow belt!

Old 02-07-2013, 03:18 PM

9 posts, read 18,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioNative View Post
Chardon is an easy drive to Mentor and still quite rural in feel. My in-laws in Mentor take back roads and can be to the Chardon Wal-mart in 15 minutes. Just be aware that it is the buckle of the snow belt!

Yes I hear much of this snow belt. I looked on the chardon website and they have snow fall listed by date, certainly something they take pride in. It seems there are some great winter fests and activities that I have seen pictures of. Being from southeast michigan I am no stranger to snow, and from what I see Chardon gets 30-40% more than St. Clair Shores does per snow fall. For example we are supposed to get 6-8" tonight and I am driving into Chardon tomorrow evening which should give me an accurate look at this snow belt.

From every account I have heard the house we are looking at is 15-20 minutes from Mentor. Bass Lake Rd and South St is where the house is and I will be working in Mentor just off the 306 and 20 which google says is 15-17 miles depending on which route I take.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:33 PM

103 posts, read 210,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarpops21 View Post
If your trying to stay in the middle-upper class, maybe you should look at rentals in Chardon, Solon, Bratenhl ( misspelled) and University Hts.? These are all good neighborhoods with good schools. All of the suburbs listed are located on the far east side the same side Mentor and your commute time would be much more shorter. If you or your spouse have time, check out available rental properties in those areas. If your job is written in stone, than go for it ! Buy yourself a nice home in nieghborhood you and your family love the best. If you have any more questions big or small just post it, we are here for you.
Not that the OP is likely interested in Bratenahl anyway, but isn't Bratenahl in the Cleveland Municipal School District? If so, that's really not a good school district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland