Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 01:52 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,197,619 times

Advertisements

I'm not new to Cleveland or this forum, but I MIGHT (emphais on the word) be separating from my wife and living on my own indefinitely. We have one child currently and another on the way, and if we aren't all living together they'll be living in Shaker Heights near Shaker High School and I'll want to be within a short distance from them so I can help out at a moment's notice, if necessary. Also, we currently share one car but if we were to split the car would probably stay with them even though we'd technically be "sharing" it, so I'd need to be near transit and I work downtown and rely on RTA to get there every day.

I also would want to be somewhere near where mature, working, friendly singles live, and where there would be plenty of opportunities to meet other people (women, in this case). I'm a fairly quiet person but hate being alone, so I have no qualms about going out for nightlife from bars/clubs to theatre, but since I am 31 and already have kids and am used to the settled-down lifestyle I'm not too keen on the idea of a loud, obnoxious, dangerous or any other kind of non-kid-friendly environment -- especially if I end up having them over fairly frequently (I don't want to make it difficult for them to stop by any time).

So, with this in mind, where in Cleveland (preferably the East Side because proximity to family is so vital) would make the most sense for somebody like myself? Here's how I would rank my parameters:

1. proximity to Shaker Heights, specifically near the High School
2. accessibility to the RTA (train or bus) to use for work or to get to the Blue Line where they'd live
3. affordability: $500-$800 per month is preferred, whether it's a 3BR house for a family or a studio, I can't be more specific at the moment
4. opportunities to meet other singles (women) who are around my age (25-35, give or take)
5. opportunities to meet other guys who are friendly and like to hang out, play sports, etc.
6. family-friendly to a degree -- children welcome, to be more specific
7. accessibility to entertainment amenities
8. low-crime, not trashy, not blighted

I appreciate any advice you can offer, thank you!

P.S. I am originally from Minneapolis and we moved here about 1.5 years ago, which is why I don't really know anyone outside of whom my wife knows. I know a couple people here but for the most part I'm choosing to be isolated from friends/family in order to stay near my kids (which is why I'm not considering moving away).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 02:20 PM

13 posts, read 35,480 times
It sounds like Shaker Square or somewhere along the RTA line is your best bet. University Circle and Ohio City may fit the bill in terms of your nightlife if you don't mind the short train ride back over to Shaker. Cleveland Heights would also work but you would likely have to catch a bus or ride your bike to get to the train

Old 02-10-2013, 02:21 PM

11,063 posts, read 12,463,801 times
Look into some apartments at Shaker Square or near there. 15 minutes downtown by rapid with pretty frequent service and right on the Blue Line. Plus a bus ride away from University Circle. It's a pretty popular area for people in your age range. You might also want to consider living off of Lee Road, probably between Cedar and Fairmount somewhere. It's only about 1.5 miles from SHHS and has a bus that goes ride down Lee. I think this has better entertainment than Shaker Square- lots of cool bars and restaurants on Lee, plus the library, Dobama Theater, and Cedar-Lee theater. Or perhaps somewhere on Canterbury, Kingston, Queenston, or Princeton. It's a little off from Lee, but definitely in walking distance. I've always liked those streets- very long streets with lots of trees and charming center paths through the middle. I love walking through that area. Lots of families here and I would say it's definitely low crime and certainly not blighted.

I think in any of these areas, you'll be able to find some guys and girls that you'd like, though it does take more than just moving somewhere to meet people.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:32 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,289,444 times
Best wishes on the life change.

Agreed with the posters above.

- Little Italy/University Circle
- Shaker Square

Both have rail (and BRT) access with straight shots downtown, and have a good about of young professionals.

Ohio City might be a good third option since the redline can connect to the blue of green line into Shaker.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Look into some apartments at Shaker Square or near there. 15 minutes downtown by rapid with pretty frequent service and right on the Blue Line. Plus a bus ride away from University Circle. It's a pretty popular area for people in your age range. You might also want to consider living off of Lee Road, probably between Cedar and Fairmount somewhere. It's only about 1.5 miles from SHHS and has a bus that goes ride down Lee. I think this has better entertainment than Shaker Square- lots of cool bars and restaurants on Lee, plus the library, Dobama Theater, and Cedar-Lee theater. Or perhaps somewhere on Canterbury, Kingston, Queenston, or Princeton. It's a little off from Lee, but definitely in walking distance. I've always liked those streets- very long streets with lots of trees and charming center paths through the middle. I love walking through that area. Lots of families here and I would say it's definitely low crime and certainly not blighted.

I think in any of these areas, you'll be able to find some guys and girls that you'd like, though it does take more than just moving somewhere to meet people.
Is this where there is a street full of bars and there's an independent movie theater there (I think it's called Cedar-Lee or something)? I know this area and I agree, it'd be a pretty good spot to locate and I ALWAYS forget about it! The only problem is access to transit.....it's too far to walk for the train but perhaps there's a bus that goes downtown (an express? Do those exist here in Cleveland?).

You bring up an obvious but easily-overlooked point: it's not just as simple as moving somewhere to meet new friends and go on dates -- you have to work for it. Since I've been out of the dating game for 9+ years now and although I have several extremely close friends, they're all in Minneapolis for the most part, I'm definitely going to be rusty. Besides, life with a wife and kids didn't allow for much free time or time for new people, so it's been a low priority for me for quite a while. Any (obvious) suggestions on how to get back into the swing of things, so to speak? Part of me is really looking forward to meeting new people (especially women!), but the other part of me knows that it's never that easy when you NEED it!

Thanks for the tips so far everyone!!

Old 02-10-2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by costello_musicman View Post
Best wishes on the life change.

Agreed with the posters above.

- Little Italy/University Circle
- Shaker Square

Both have rail (and BRT) access with straight shots downtown, and have a good about of young professionals.

Ohio City might be a good third option since the redline can connect to the blue of green line into Shaker.
U-Circle, OH City and Little Italy are all obvious choices for the average person, but considering I'm slightly tethered to Shaker (it's my #1 preference) it's all of the sudden not such a simple choice. If I could be within a short jaunt (walk or train for example) I'd consider it, but if it takes more than 15 minutes it'd probably be lower on my list of priorities. I doubt I'd have a car anytime soon, so let's assume that won't be an option.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:19 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,289,444 times
MCC,

I think your best and only option is Shaker Square then.

btw, UC and Little italy do have a bus that runs every 15-20 min and connects to Shaker Sqaure. Also, the E.55 stop is the intersection where you could hop from the Red line running west, to the Blue or Green line heading east.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Is this where there is a street full of bars and there's an independent movie theater there (I think it's called Cedar-Lee or something)? I know this area and I agree, it'd be a pretty good spot to locate and I ALWAYS forget about it! The only problem is access to transit.....it's too far to walk for the train but perhaps there's a bus that goes downtown (an express? Do those exist here in Cleveland?).

You bring up an obvious but easily-overlooked point: it's not just as simple as moving somewhere to meet new friends and go on dates -- you have to work for it. Since I've been out of the dating game for 9+ years now and although I have several extremely close friends, they're all in Minneapolis for the most part, I'm definitely going to be rusty. Besides, life with a wife and kids didn't allow for much free time or time for new people, so it's been a low priority for me for quite a while. Any (obvious) suggestions on how to get back into the swing of things, so to speak? Part of me is really looking forward to meeting new people (especially women!), but the other part of me knows that it's never that easy when you NEED it!

Thanks for the tips so far everyone!!
Yes, Cedar-Lee has at least 6 bars I can think of, a smattering of restaurants, and casual dining. Cedar Lee theater is the independent theater you heard about. The #40 bus goes literally down Lee Road right to Shaker Heights High School. No problem. As far as going downtown, you could still take the rapid- Lee Road Rapid Station at Lee and Shaker. It would probably be between 1 mile and 1.5 mile walk depending on where you lived. I could understand not wanting to walk that far every morning to go to work. If you bike, though, it's a lot easier. The 20 minute walk turns into a 5 minute bike ride. There are bike lanes on Lee as well. You could also take the bus to the rapid and then transfer if you wanted. I don't know what your preference is. I would just argue that Shaker Square is NOT your only option. This part of Cleveland Heights is definitely also doable, and in many ways, in my opinion, is better than Shaker Square.

As far as meeting people, I guess it depends on your interests. For me personally, I look into events going on at libraries, volunteer opportunities with immigrants, open mic nights at local cafes or bars, joining indoor soccer leagues or other rec sports things. Does any of that sound appealing?

Old 02-12-2013, 09:04 PM

1,879 posts, read 2,028,827 times
My first thought was also Cedar-Lee. Pretty lively but not too raucous, the one fun part of Cleveland Heights that isn't too student-dominated, unlike Coventry, Cedar-Fairmount, or Little Italy (well Cleveland on the Heights border). So it would be my first choice for meeting a well-educated woman age 25-35. I'm your exact age, and the last thing I want is to live in a student mecca -- even though these areas are fun to visit, feeling like I live on a campus is not for me.

As has been pointed out, the downside is that it's not on the Rapid, so Shaker Square would be the next best bet. I admittedly haven't been there in quite a while, but my impression is the Larchmere section is improving by the day, while nearby areas like Buckeye are as crime-ridden as ever. It is convenient, since the rapid makes it easy to explore social options on the west side as well.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by averysgore View Post
My first thought was also Cedar-Lee. Pretty lively but not too raucous, the one fun part of Cleveland Heights that isn't too student-dominated, unlike Coventry, Cedar-Fairmount, or Little Italy (well Cleveland on the Heights border). So it would be my first choice for meeting a well-educated woman age 25-35. I'm your exact age, and the last thing I want is to live in a student mecca -- even though these areas are fun to visit, feeling like I live on a campus is not for me.

As has been pointed out, the downside is that it's not on the Rapid, so Shaker Square would be the next best bet. I admittedly haven't been there in quite a while, but my impression is the Larchmere section is improving by the day, while nearby areas like Buckeye are as crime-ridden as ever. It is convenient, since the rapid makes it easy to explore social options on the west side as well.
Agreed on the student thing. Cedar-Lee is definitely a little bit older than the Coventry/Little Italy crowd. I like going to hang out there, but I'm not sure if I'd want to LIVE there. No offense, college kids. Larchmere area is nice. I would just suggest staying east of MLK Blvd. Past that starts looking a little sketchy, though there are some good things happening, like the comeback of St. Luke's as a big apartment complex for seniors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland