Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 07:14 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,192,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by costello_musicman View Post
MCC,

I think your best and only option is Shaker Square then.

btw, UC and Little italy do have a bus that runs every 15-20 min and connects to Shaker Sqaure. Also, the E.55 stop is the intersection where you could hop from the Red line running west, to the Blue or Green line heading east.
I know about the transfer station, and that's a legitimate option then if all I have to do is catch two trains and walk about a quarter mile, but the time involved is fairly substantial if I'd have to get there in a hurry. Something to think about for sure though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Yes, Cedar-Lee has at least 6 bars I can think of, a smattering of restaurants, and casual dining. Cedar Lee theater is the independent theater you heard about. The #40 bus goes literally down Lee Road right to Shaker Heights High School. No problem. As far as going downtown, you could still take the rapid- Lee Road Rapid Station at Lee and Shaker. It would probably be between 1 mile and 1.5 mile walk depending on where you lived. I could understand not wanting to walk that far every morning to go to work. If you bike, though, it's a lot easier. The 20 minute walk turns into a 5 minute bike ride. There are bike lanes on Lee as well. You could also take the bus to the rapid and then transfer if you wanted. I don't know what your preference is. I would just argue that Shaker Square is NOT your only option. This part of Cleveland Heights is definitely also doable, and in many ways, in my opinion, is better than Shaker Square.

As far as meeting people, I guess it depends on your interests. For me personally, I look into events going on at libraries, volunteer opportunities with immigrants, open mic nights at local cafes or bars, joining indoor soccer leagues or other rec sports things. Does any of that sound appealing?
Is there a bus that goes down Cedar to downtown? I don't HAVE to take the rapid to commute....I'm willing to take the bus as well (did this in Minneapolis). Cedar-Lee seems more my style than Shaker Square, and it seems like there is more to do as well. Shaker Square is in a great location for me though, so it's not an easy choice.

I haven't heard too many people throw out Coventry yet, is there a reason for that? I LOVE that Winking Lizards there and although the neighborhood is certainly young it also is close to a lot of things I'd want to be close to: SHHS, Little Italy, Cedar-Lee, University Circle, Cleveland Clinic, etc. Little Italy or nearby is also something I'd highly consider, IFF there was easy access to SHHS.

All of those things have an appeal to me. I haven't had time to volunteer lately but I enjoy it, and I've heard that's a great way to meet new people (never thought of it like that before). I don't play soccer but when I'm in shape I can be fairly athletic and can at least play defense or something -- anything in a NON-competitive league is fine (I've seen competitive soccer leagues and it just looks like somewhere where I would get into fights on most nights). Even though I'm not even separated yet, I'm starting to re-train myself on how to "plant social seeds" so to speak and put myself into situations where I can meet people. For example, I just signed up for 6 weeks of Yoga class through work. Not only do I need to work out AND stretch more but it seems like an opportunity to at least see beautiful women, if not get to know them. Since I haven't even separated yet there is no urge or rush to start dating right away, which gives me an advantage/opporunity to practice those kinds of conversations and again, plant those seeds (not a metaphor!).

Old 02-14-2013, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by averysgore View Post
My first thought was also Cedar-Lee. Pretty lively but not too raucous, the one fun part of Cleveland Heights that isn't too student-dominated, unlike Coventry, Cedar-Fairmount, or Little Italy (well Cleveland on the Heights border). So it would be my first choice for meeting a well-educated woman age 25-35. I'm your exact age, and the last thing I want is to live in a student mecca -- even though these areas are fun to visit, feeling like I live on a campus is not for me.

As has been pointed out, the downside is that it's not on the Rapid, so Shaker Square would be the next best bet. I admittedly haven't been there in quite a while, but my impression is the Larchmere section is improving by the day, while nearby areas like Buckeye are as crime-ridden as ever. It is convenient, since the rapid makes it easy to explore social options on the west side as well.
The main drawback to Shake Square is the surrounding area crime rate. It's not deplorable in Shake Sq itself but it's not great either. I don't necessarily feel unsafe but I don't really feel all that comfortable some nights either (and I'm a fairly big guy....6'1" 200+ lbs). There also isn't all that much to do in Shaker Sq compared to some of the other areas mentioned. It's biggest advantage is its proximity and location. Larchmere, on the other hand, is a bit more promising and it's a decent compromise.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:01 PM

11,061 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Is there a bus that goes down Cedar to downtown? I don't HAVE to take the rapid to commute....I'm willing to take the bus as well (did this in Minneapolis). Cedar-Lee seems more my style than Shaker Square, and it seems like there is more to do as well. Shaker Square is in a great location for me though, so it's not an easy choice.

I haven't heard too many people throw out Coventry yet, is there a reason for that? I LOVE that Winking Lizards there and although the neighborhood is certainly young it also is close to a lot of things I'd want to be close to: SHHS, Little Italy, Cedar-Lee, University Circle, Cleveland Clinic, etc. Little Italy or nearby is also something I'd highly consider, IFF there was easy access to SHHS.

All of those things have an appeal to me. I haven't had time to volunteer lately but I enjoy it, and I've heard that's a great way to meet new people (never thought of it like that before). I don't play soccer but when I'm in shape I can be fairly athletic and can at least play defense or something -- anything in a NON-competitive league is fine (I've seen competitive soccer leagues and it just looks like somewhere where I would get into fights on most nights). Even though I'm not even separated yet, I'm starting to re-train myself on how to "plant social seeds" so to speak and put myself into situations where I can meet people. For example, I just signed up for 6 weeks of Yoga class through work. Not only do I need to work out AND stretch more but it seems like an opportunity to at least see beautiful women, if not get to know them. Since I haven't even separated yet there is no urge or rush to start dating right away, which gives me an advantage/opporunity to practice those kinds of conversations and again, plant those seeds (not a metaphor!).
I'm not sure if such a bus exists, but trust me, the rapid is much quicker. Probably 20 minutes from Lee (Green Line) to Tower City.

I like Coventry. You could still just hop over to the 40 bus down Lee to get to SHHS, though you will have to walk a little longer to get there. Depends on where exactly you live though. But you're right, pretty close to Little Italy, UC, Cedar-Lee, for sure. My main issue with Coventry is sometimes the weekend collegey bro crowd that invades. There will be a good portion of the population there that is at least 5 years younger than you I think. Other than that, I largely like Coventry. There are good restaurants, a library, book stores, and some nice bars, like La Cave du Vin and I do love the Grog Shop.

Wish I could help with the woman thing, but alas, I cannot. Find a new house/apartment, find some fun people, get some new interests, be happy being single first. If then you still want a woman, they will always be there! If you just wanna look, maybe hit up the clubs on W. 6?

Old 02-15-2013, 10:35 PM

103 posts, read 210,306 times
The Cedar (#32) bus only runs as far west as the Cleveland Clinic so you'd need a connection either to the rapid or another bus. I don't think it would be an undoable commute from Cedar Lee to Downtown everyday by bus but it also wouldn't be great. Shaker Square would be way better for commute time.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyXCWRU View Post
The Cedar (#32) bus only runs as far west as the Cleveland Clinic so you'd need a connection either to the rapid or another bus. I don't think it would be an undoable commute from Cedar Lee to Downtown everyday by bus but it also wouldn't be great. Shaker Square would be way better for commute time.
Shaker Square is definitely ideal for commuting by rail, that's for sure! Shaker Square itself is less-than-ideal for me as a place to live. There are a few neat restaurants and shops but by and large they are few and far between for the types of things I'm interested in. Also, it seems to be pretty sketchy, at least when I'm there at times and especially at night. I have a 3 year old so safety is pretty important to me, more than it normally would be (and I don't usually find areas like Shaker Square to be "unsafe").

One neighborhood that I would LOVE to live in/near is Little Italy. Now I'm not Italian (lots of my extended family is though) but I was under the impression that wasn't a prerequisite. It's close to the rapid station, it's VERY walkable, there's TONS of delicious places to eat and shop, it seems fairly young, and it's safe. That area, along with University Cirlce next to it seem to fit the demographic I'm looking for more than Shaker Square or even Coventry, but I understand it may be a bit too college-centric and it's at least 20-30 minutes by train to the station where my wife and child would be closest to.

One final spot that isn't all that fun but is very location-specific is the Van Aken thoroughfare -- anywhere between Shaker Square and Warrensville Rd. NONE of the districts along that route are what I'd call "fun" in terms of nightlife or meeting singles, but it's affordable, right on the Blue Line, and very close and accessible to SHHS. I saw an ad in Craigs List for a specific building along Warrensville Rd just North of Van Aken that fronted a golf course that caught my eye (the poster hasn't responded to me yet though). It also had an outdoor pool, which got me thinking that having a pool might be a good compromise if I can't easily walk to other nightlife districts. So that might be something else worth considering.

I appreciate everyone's help thus far and I'm continuing to research ads and information on C-D to narrow down my short list of areas to live. Thank you!

Old 02-21-2013, 06:25 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,943,728 times
Quote:
The main drawback to Shake Square is the surrounding area crime rate. It's not deplorable in Shake Sq itself but it's not great either. I don't necessarily feel unsafe but I don't really feel all that comfortable some nights either (and I'm a fairly big guy....6'1" 200+ lbs). There also isn't all that much to do in Shaker Sq compared to some of the other areas mentioned. It's biggest advantage is its proximity and location. Larchmere, on the other hand, is a bit more promising and it's a decent compromise.
Shaker Square needs to be Cleveland's next ''hot'' area. The Square itself, with the blue & green line trains running through it, reminds me of being in an eastern city. The high-density apartments and condos lining the streets - this area should be hopping, not dropping. Of course, the old Cleveland ''but the crime in the surrounding area'' line has to be in play here as well.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Shaker Square needs to be Cleveland's next ''hot'' area. The Square itself, with the blue & green line trains running through it, reminds me of being in an eastern city. The high-density apartments and condos lining the streets - this area should be hopping, not dropping. Of course, the old Cleveland ''but the crime in the surrounding area'' line has to be in play here as well.
It's funny you say that, because the area right behind it (Larchmere) was one of the spots that I thought was going to be the next "it" area in the immediate sub-region. It has so much potential and I can definitely see it turning around if/when people start investing more into the area.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:39 PM

11,061 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Quote:
It's funny you say that, because the area right behind it (Larchmere) was one of the spots that I thought was going to be the next "it" area in the immediate sub-region. It has so much potential and I can definitely see it turning around if/when people start investing more into the area.
I guess I don't think there's anything wrong with Shaker Square or Larchmere as is. I hope normal people keep living here. I think it's cool that it's not gentrification central. I think it'd be cool if a few more people moved in and some new businesses opened, but we don't need it to become Ohio City east.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I guess I don't think there's anything wrong with Shaker Square or Larchmere as is. I hope normal people keep living here. I think it's cool that it's not gentrification central. I think it'd be cool if a few more people moved in and some new businesses opened, but we don't need it to become Ohio City east.
Maybe if you had young children and a worrying wife/ex-wife....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland