Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2013, 08:54 AM

233 posts, read 454,919 times

Advertisements

Cleveland while on the rise, is also taking a step back at the same time. While jobs and new hip restaurants are being created for adults and tourist it seems Cleveland has forgotten about the most important people, the youth. We all hear that the youth are our future but yet they are neglected and rejected from amenities besides malls, recreational centers and festivals here and there. While the adults are able to go and enjoy themselves throughout the day the youth are left to find something to do, and in some cases that leads to negative activity and acts of violence. While it's not all youth it's enough to catch people's attention. This leads to the point of this thread which is to say Cleveland needs a district where kids can go places to bowl, play laser tag, paintball, roller skating or do any other youth oriented activity. If the youth had something to do besides hang out in the block things would change for the better. Look at the 50s-70s where there was an abundance of things to do the teen violence wasn't nearly as high. Cleveland needs a district where all those activities listed above are in one area instead of spread apart where kids have to do long bus rides to get to. Just like how on 4th street there is a cluster of restaurants there needs to be a cluster of youth oriented destinations it's for the better of our cities future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 09:09 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,442,762 times
Sympathize with the sentiment, but a lot of the problems with teen violence can stem from gang involvement, in which case I'm not sure a paintball place would really stop that. I think a problem with teens is that they are not attracted to things specifically made for and marketed to them.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:14 AM

233 posts, read 454,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Sympathize with the sentiment, but a lot of the problems with teen violence can stem from gang involvement, in which case I'm not sure a paintball place would really stop that. I think a problem with teens is that they are not attracted to things specifically made for and marketed to them.
Growing up in the rough neighborhoods in Cleveland I hear people say "there isn't things to do here" which is true for because youth because its geared more to 20 year olds and older. Which leads them to do outlandish things if they had more things to do it would take there minds (not all) off hanging on the block because they would be occupied with something else. It would also help because the new district could be built in an area that could use some rejuvenation which would help the cities image as well. All I'm saying is it couldn't hurt to build it.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:23 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,916,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr216 View Post
Look at the 50s-70s where there was an abundance of things to do the teen violence wasn't nearly as high.
That was when I was growing up in Cleveland. What there was to do was (1) homework and (2) hanging out with other teenagers. A little bowling, some guitar lessons. Most kids were into sports; not me. We had our share of drugs, drinking, and sex.

What was there to do then that does not exist any more?

Old 03-24-2013, 08:51 PM

236 posts, read 462,072 times
I will say that the city is creating activities that are attracting the youth in creative ways. As an example, the new Cleveland Skate park will be opening sometime in the spring, there are world class museums that are absolutely amazing! I remember back in the day, there used to be a game room in the Flats (Power House). With all the transformation, developments everywhere, and people living downtown, they are making Cleveland more family oriented. Give it time; it will not take too long, because all the parts are moving. There are events constantly going on for children and families. You have to go to the Cleveland Alliance Website - Downtown Cleveland Alliance...

Also, in terms of teen attivities, it's in motion... We still want to make sure it's safe, and not attract the undesirable teens who could potentially destroy lovely downtown... Again, we want to attrack youth in creative ways...

Old 03-27-2013, 04:10 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,630,373 times
Crime was higher 70s-mid 99s, so I'm not necessarily certain it's worse now. The media makes it appear to be worse. I think competent schools is more important than teen entertainment.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:19 PM

48 posts, read 93,622 times
Not for kids, but for adults...

There's a new waterfront entertainment district being built in the Flats. I think it'll be cool, but I worry it'll probably be too Legacy Village/Crocker Park ish.

Cleveland Flats East Bank Project || Flats East Bank Cleveland

Old 04-10-2013, 01:34 PM

79 posts, read 235,826 times
I remember when I was younger Roller Skating/Blading was the thing to do. Everybody would head to Zelma George to have fun but eventually it died down for us due to a lot of random and unnecessary fights that would break out there.

Michael J. Zone was also a fun recreational spot until the the rowdier crowd took over the scene. Same things with Trent Park and Greenwood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: