Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 05:57 PM

3,413 posts, read 5,122,095 times

Advertisements

My advice: get a time-share in Florida or some other mild climate, go there once a year mid-winter, and you should be covered for the winter blues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 06:13 PM

440 posts, read 595,347 times
Lol that would help for a week that i would be there since i only have a couple weeks of vacation at my job. I was down in Naples in mid February, which was the first time i've ever been to FL in the winter, i go every year in July (told you i like the heat). But when i was there last month it was in the mid 80's all week! It was paradise for me!

Old 03-27-2013, 06:40 PM

8,480 posts, read 6,882,429 times
Weather's pretty good here. Former resident of Columbus.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:49 PM

48 posts, read 93,580 times
I am the same way. I love the sun and Cleveland's gray skies bum me out. I just got back yesterday from Florida. I've been down to Florida 4 times this winter, usually for around a week each time. I've stayed between Miami and Boca during my trips. This past week I stayed in Sunny Isles right off Collins Ave, gorgeous area.

When I got back to Cleveland yesterday, I wasn't looking forward to it, but there were quickly things I appreciated.

Florida is jammed packed with traffic, getting to the gas station, groceries, etc. takes for ever. Getting together with friends is also a huge pain. The open roads in the east side suburbs, especially around Chagrin Falls are incredibly scenic and relaxing. Even here in Lakewood, I have beautiful views over Rocky River, the lake, etc. All the glass condos and traffic start to wear on you (and I was only on there for a week).

I am not a fan of the restaurants out there at all -- 80%+ of the area is all crap chains, same with the bars and nightlife. The Legacy Village/Crocker Park vibe is deep in Florida. Food is way overpriced and sucks compared to the accessible options we have in Ohio.

Another thing I is job wise, Florida seems like it's way too service industry orientated.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:03 PM

7 posts, read 9,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacher23 View Post
Are you serious? Even over the perfect L.A weather of no rain and humidity?? Thats just crazy! i would looove to live out there, its just a lil too far from the family as compared to a 1 day drive from FL
No, I'm not talking about LA, I'm talking about "the south" which traditionally refers to the south east. With out a doubt, Southern California probably has the most ideal weather anywhere. But for the most part, those are the coastal regions only. Once you get inland California, the rest of the south west US is HOT. I'm talking you can feel the rubber on the bottom of your shoes get soft and gooey just from walking around cities like Phoenix or Vegas, etc. That said I prefer the southwest's frying pan to the south easts oppresive oven...and much prefer Ohio's weather to both.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:45 PM

682 posts, read 1,578,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Funny, cities like ... Seattle, Portland, ...., and others with similarly crisply winter weather are all very popular cities.
Wait... what?

I agree with your advice though from your other post. I survive the 8 months of cloudy, 50 degrees, and light drizzle every day here in Portland by planning a few trips to the desert each winter. Goodyear is especially nice in March! #GoTribe

Old 03-28-2013, 06:21 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,173,361 times
Quote:
Are you serious? Even over the perfect L.A weather of no rain and humidity?? Thats just crazy! i would looove to live out there, its just a lil too far from the family as compared to a 1 day drive from FL
First, LA isn't "the south" and, clearly, you've not spent more than a day or two there. Also, no weather is perfect. Just ask the folks there during the Santa Ana wind season as they dodge the wildfires. I'm pretty sure most of them would rather have clouds and rain for a straight month... Oh wait... landslides.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:35 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times
Quote:
But yes, while half of the country is experiencing some below average temps, we here in Cleveland are the cloudiest region of the U.S. because of the lake.
This negative defeatist "Cleveland is the worst place evar" attitude is what I just cannot stand.
This winter in particular has been very sunny. We have not gone more then 4 days without seeing the sun.
It amazes me that so few people acknowledge this.

We are the cloudiest region in the US? Seriously? Typical Clevelander. I will just never understand us....

Seattle, WA: #1
Portland, OR: #2
Buffalo, NY: #3
Pittsburgh, PA: #4

We aren't even in the top 3.
//Conveniently leaves #5 off....

(Cleveland, OH: #5)

But seriously. It's March. and I am joking when I say this next part: **** already.
If it's this cold in mid April, then I will come back here and start complaining right along with you.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:45 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,434,904 times
Clevelanders act like the place is Siberia.

Seriously, you guys have nothing to complain about. Just stop whining and deal with it.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:42 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,274,498 times
I see the sun today and I think I saw it yesterday, too. Cheers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland