Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 09:28 PM

49 posts, read 95,234 times

Advertisements

With such bands as LL Cool J, NWA, and Public Enemy being nominated isn't it too much of a stretch to consider these bands as Rock N Roll? Give it 20 years we'll be seeing the likes of Justin Bieber and Katy Perry getting nominations. I'm afraid the hall will become a museum for how many records can you sell and not truly a place for talented musicians. I'm not saying the top 3 "artists" don't have a place in the record books just maybe not in the Rock Hall. Country music has their own hall, maybe Rap, Hip Hop, and R&B need a hall too???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 10:47 PM

3,415 posts, read 5,132,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafygreens View Post
With such bands as LL Cool J, NWA, and Public Enemy being nominated isn't it too much of a stretch to consider these bands as Rock N Roll? Give it 20 years we'll be seeing the likes of Justin Bieber and Katy Perry getting nominations. I'm afraid the hall will become a museum for how many records can you sell and not truly a place for talented musicians. I'm not saying the top 3 "artists" don't have a place in the record books just maybe not in the Rock Hall. Country music has their own hall, maybe Rap, Hip Hop, and R&B need a hall too???
There is overlap in all categories. Rap and hip hop can trace its origins most closely to that of blues, R&B, and rock and roll. The two are more closely related than many people like to think. It's actually a very interesting thing to think about the origins of music genres and how they evolved.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:23 PM

1,879 posts, read 2,029,159 times
My impression is that NWA and Public Enemy are highly respected artists, and many current black musicians look up to them. But LL Cool J? I didn't think he was that esteemed.

Justin and Katy won't get in. I mean, Herb Alpert and Captain and Tenille aren't in there, and they were extremely popular.

Surprised that Yes and Deep Purple are only getting nominated now.

Old 10-17-2013, 12:01 AM

368 posts, read 639,132 times
the reality is that rock and roll music as we know it is no longer popular,not relevant with the youth of today.and so as the years go by there will probably be bands like coldplay and muse and nickelback getting in,and yes justin beiber and timberlake ,and adam lambert .after all the whole notion of a rock and roll hall of fame is nothing more than a corporate product in itself,so there will have to be music from this generation represented.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:55 AM

306 posts, read 821,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averysgore View Post
My impression is that NWA and Public Enemy are highly respected artists, and many current black musicians look up to them. But LL Cool J? I didn't think he was that esteemed.

Justin and Katy won't get in. I mean, Herb Alpert and Captain and Tenille aren't in there, and they were extremely popular.

Surprised that Yes and Deep Purple are only getting nominated now.
LL Cool J's "Radio" was the first successful Hip-Hop record commercially. It paved the way for the mainstream success of the Beastie Boys, Public Enemy and Run DMC over the next couple years. LL Cool J was also the first hip hop artist on American Bandstand thanks to the success of Radio. Its no coincidence that almost all of the hip hop artists that have been inducted or nominated were produced by Rick Rubin for his Def Jam records. Rubin brought a new rock leaning sound to hip hop. If you listen to a record pre-Def Jam, you will see the difference in hip hop styles right away and how rock was fused in there and why these artists are considered worthy of the Rock Hall.

And actually, Herb Albert is in the Rock Hall. He was inducted with Jerry Moss for their founding of A&M.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:38 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,416,817 times
I can remember having this conversation ten years ago.

Don't give me that line about the connections between rock and rap. So what if rap has it's origins in blues and rock and roll? What's the point of genres if we're just going to lump them all together. All music has origins in some other genre. What are the chances that Led Zeppelin will be nominated for the polka hall of fame? (which, by the way, if there is a polka hall of fame it should be in Cleveland)

I'd argue that "classic rock" (what most people think of when they hear rock and roll hall of fame) is extremely popular among the millennial generation. Although contemporary "rock" groups aren't as mainstream as they were back in the 60s and 70s, there are still a couple groups making some noise(I'm sorry) in the mainstream(Black Keys, White Stripes, etc).

I think most of the issue is the way these record companies and their radio stations operate. You have "hit music" stations which play standard pop/techno/rap. Then everything else is considered "alternative". So every city keeps all of it's decent rock music on some "alternative" station and thus off the radar of all the teeny boppers who listen to the pop stations. And this isn't even including the many great artists which get ignored by the major record labels(and thus radio stations). Thankfully, the internet has helped a bit with this last issue.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:41 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,996,826 times
Yes. I believe so. Don't get me wrong, I don't oppose hip-hop or rap, and in fact I do like LL Cool J, and NWA. I cannot stand most of the crap that passes for hip-hop or rap today like Lil Wayne for example!

But I digress, LL Cool J and NWA is not Rock n Roll.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,117 times
The R&R Hof is a total abomination until Boston and Journey are members.

Old 10-19-2013, 07:12 AM

11,066 posts, read 12,466,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonkeynuts View Post
The R&R Hof is a total abomination until Boston and Journey are members.
Journey has like 3 songs. Pass.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:57 AM

49 posts, read 95,234 times
I would like to see such acts as Pantera and Slayer make it in. They've made a huge impact on what Heavy Metal is today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: