Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2013, 10:38 PM

16 posts, read 29,657 times

Advertisements

I am being forced to move to cleveland by my wife so we can spend some time with her sister that I terribly love which causes a problem for me; we are currently living in north nj and our child is supposed to be starting school here, what I love about Jersey is that they offer am/pm options for part time kindergarten from all the research that I have dome I can not find anything recent that shows that Cleveland offers part time kindagarten anymore, all I found is Parma give you the option, but this is from a article in 2011 I would like to know does Parma still offer part time kindagarten and if not which school districts do.

Also what are other good/great areas to live in, I plan to stay no more than one year worst case year and a half in Ohio, but in the mean time I wold like to live somewhere nice for my family. My rental budget is 1400 to 1500 month I assume that is good enough to something decent.

Any help appreciated thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 08:28 AM

117 posts, read 244,464 times
From my understanding you can request half day kindergarten and the district has to permit it

Here is the website that said this: Kindergarten | Ohio Department of Education

That's the Ohio education website so I hope they are credible . I don't know the process or anything it may and probably is a headache. Your best bet is to start calling different school districts.

As for your rental budget in the Cleveland area you can live in the nicest places cleveland has to offer. Most places downtown don't go for that high amount of rent. Do you want to be closer to your wife's sister? if She lives on the Westside i'd look at Lakewood, Rocky River & Westlake (Lakewood and River would be my first choices) Lakewood is walkable and has houses for rent.

If she lives on the East Side i'd look into Mayfield Heights.

Those are the places that I know that have good school districts. Lakewood probably has the worst school district but is probably the best place to live in terms walk ability access to Downtown and night life. It's less Suburbia.

and besides I think you will like Cleveland give it a chance Hopefully I was helpful.

Old 07-31-2013, 03:01 PM

11,063 posts, read 12,456,973 times
Lakewood is definitely not the worst school district in the area.

If you want good schools (but not "great") I guess Mayfield is alright, but it's a boring place. I'd go for Shaker probably. If you want "great" schools, you'll have to live somewhere either far from Cleveland and bland, or slightly closer, but expensive.

By the way, sorry you had to live in Jersey. Cleveland is much better.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:58 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,287,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andremclippers View Post
From my understanding you can request half day kindergarten and the district has to permit it

Here is the website that said this: Kindergarten | Ohio Department of Education

That's the Ohio education website so I hope they are credible . I don't know the process or anything it may and probably is a headache. Your best bet is to start calling different school districts.

As for your rental budget in the Cleveland area you can live in the nicest places cleveland has to offer. Most places downtown don't go for that high amount of rent. Do you want to be closer to your wife's sister? if She lives on the Westside i'd look at Lakewood, Rocky River & Westlake (Lakewood and River would be my first choices) Lakewood is walkable and has houses for rent.

If she lives on the East Side i'd look into Mayfield Heights.

Those are the places that I know that have good school districts. Lakewood probably has the worst school district but is probably the best place to live in terms walk ability access to Downtown and night life. It's less Suburbia.

and besides I think you will like Cleveland give it a chance Hopefully I was helpful.
Lakewood gets my vote -- schools are excellent and diverse. PM me if you want any info on Lakewood schools or the community.

Lakewood has all-day Kindergarten as well.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:26 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,836,572 times
If you want most like Jersey with good schools, I'd suggest Beachwood or Rocky River. I don't know about the kindergardens. GTS or call them.

Old 08-01-2013, 04:47 PM

16 posts, read 29,657 times
Thank you guys for the feedback, I actually read the rocky river school district website and they do part time kindagarten which is awesome, but now my question is how is rocky river? Is it a good area? Is there crime? Is it considered higher end or the opposite? Thank you guys for feed back

Old 08-01-2013, 08:38 PM

13 posts, read 35,475 times
Rocky River is a fantastic community. Great access to parks, right on the lake and close to downtown. It is the least diverse city in Ohio, and somehing like top 3 in the country (99% white) so if diversity is important to you than that should be a consideration. Great schools, I would recommend.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:05 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Rocky River is really nice. More near the high end. Any crime there is pretty petty.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:03 AM

372 posts, read 593,738 times
Rocky River has part time kindergarten and the kids here love going to school. Seriously, that is my gauge for how the schools are. Test scores tell you one thing, but the fact that most of the kids I meet are happy and well adjusted tell me that the teachers and schools are doing something right in the way of building community among the students.

Rocky River is known for smaller, older homes with small yards and high taxes, just fyi. We have amazing city services and great schools. If you want a bigger, newer home with a decent yard and good schools you could check out Avon, Avon Lake, or Westlake.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:32 PM

420 posts, read 1,042,610 times
I say be a man and stay in jersey , what a silly post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland