Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 12:51 PM

185 posts, read 248,110 times

Advertisements

Downtown cleveland and pretty much all of the near west side are bustling w/new development. Check out battery park too. They are just about to start building another phase and those units won't last long...

These are better than anything you'll find in the burbs and they come with a 15yr property tax abatement!!!

Battery Park
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 01:00 PM

78 posts, read 95,558 times
The thing with that though is that we need a house to rent. We have two big labradors that have never lived in an apartment so we need a house with a yard. So condos/apartments will not work. Plus, I would rather be further out with more peace and quiet and space. I am coming from a huge city so I'm looking for more quiet.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:31 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,148,078 times
Mortey- It's only rained 2x this year worth mentioning here in S. CA. My neighboring city, Montecito, has a new strict water rule: Use sprinklers during "non-use" time, and it's a $1000 fine the FIRST offense and then it goes up from there.

Our rates are going up next month, again.

One thing I did notice is that Ohio prop. tax is about 2x that of CA. However, the housing is still about 80% less then where I live.

Good luck with your move to Cleveland!

Old 04-28-2014, 07:19 AM

27 posts, read 39,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Ok. I tried being considerate to the city, people and the place I grew up in; while trying to be positive for the poster. So now, since you and this ctownballa (balla? really dude) want to be such pricks - let me divulge for a minute about the city of Cleveland.

Study: Cleveland One of the Worst-Run Cities in U.S. | FOX8.com

This was a Cleveland publication to start, that was initially run by the Wall Street Journal.

The city planner in Cleveland from the past 100 years ought to be publicly executed. Cleveland has a very long stretch of beautiful water front property. You would think that the city would use this to capitalize on tourism and local business tax revenue - - but they didn't.

Instead, on a few miles of waterfront, here is what the city has wasting waterfront real estate... An airport, a science center, rock and roll hall of fame (which I cannot believe still generates revenue), and a football stadium. All of which do not capitalize on the usage of land that is beachfront - no restaurants, no shopping, no grand docks for boaters and no tourism. Not to mention the beachfront property from MLK to Euclid is run by poverty and low level income, crime infested areas not capitalizing on anything with the exception of the elitist Bratenhal area.

The 3 major sport programs are an absolute joke, with the exception of a slow emergence of the Indians again. Browns games are nothing more than a reason for people to get completely wasted on a Sunday, and dance around a parking lot. All of which has nothing to do with football, just a lame excuse for people to pretend like there is something to actually do in the town. While showing an allegiance to a football team that has been the laughing stock of the NFL the past 15 years.

This cities officials are extremely inept. There is no forward vision as noted in the attached article. The school districts in the actual city are absolutely awful. I wouldn't send my worst enemies kids to any public school, the reason why people with families all live in the suburbs.

If you live anywhere nice outside of downtown, there is zero public transportation to travel into the city. And if someone mentions the rail, go travel on it at night and tell me how your adventure was.

The only strings the city is surviving on are Tremont, Ohio City and Detroit Ave. The only time people are in the city spending money is when it is nice out, which is part of the problem. If these places fail at bringing young people in (which is semi looking up), then the city is heading to be the next Detroit. There is some building going on downtown for housing and nightlife, so hopefully it can hang on.

Of course there are good things about the city, and if not for the weather it's not that bad of a place to live. Not one person in the world ever says, "I wish the fall would end so we can go through winter". That is a fact. Winter is hardly ever a string of beautiful, white snow covering the ground. It's typically a snow, slushy, rainy, windy mess. And if you are from Cali and ever traveled west a few hours to ski, the slopes here are going to be a disappointment.

Go ahead and post why I am a troll, and a moron because I do not know the city. Fact of the matter is, the city was destroyed by union's and backhanded dealings holding the city back for 30 years. It is trying to recourse itself - if it doesn't, hello Detroit. If it does, hello Cleveland of old. But that will be seen in the future and not any time soon.

So have fun destroying my opinions and doing your research to tell me why I am wrong. This city needs people who have money, care about it and want to actually live in it. The hospitals are great here which brings jobs, but if the hospitals are thriving isn't that a bad thing?

I really do hope the city survives because it is a cute city. Yes, cleverfield, the city used to be a powerhouse years ago - key word, 'used to be'. Right now it is a smaller city compared to the likes of NY, Chi, LA and others. But stop looking at that as a bad thing. Why would you want to be like those cities if you do not believe they are better than yours? Embrace the fact that you are a small, cute, tight knit city that is rich in history.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:27 AM

3,415 posts, read 5,129,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fughazzi View Post
And if you are from Cali and ever traveled west a few hours to ski, the slopes here are going to be a disappointment.
I'm not going to respond to your whole rambling, incoherent post, I just want to point out that if you went a few hours West from Cali to ski, you'd better hope you're water skiing.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Not to mention the beachfront property from MLK to Euclid is run by poverty and low level income, crime infested areas not capitalizing on anything with the exception of the elitist Bratenhal area.
Actually, this is not true at all. Practically the entire stretch from MLK to Euclid and beyond is very nice, save for the short stretch of Lakeshore with businesses and cheaper apartments. Everything West of there is nice and then you get to Bratenahl, everything East, all the way through Euclid and beyond is very nice as well. I was just out walking there yesterday. The homes are all really nice, well kept, with manicured lawns, nice cars in the drives. Those areas are not "low income" or "crime infested" at all.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Actually, this is not true at all. Practically the entire stretch from MLK to Euclid and beyond is very nice, save for the short stretch of Lakeshore with businesses and cheaper apartments. Everything West of there is nice and then you get to Bratenahl, everything East, all the way through Euclid and beyond is very nice as well. I was just out walking there yesterday. The homes are all really nice, well kept, with manicured lawns, nice cars in the drives. Those areas are not "low income" or "crime infested" at all.

Really? You are out of your mind if you think those are nice areas. I wouldn't even drive through Colinwood. Euclid Beach used to be nice but it is an absolute dump as I live there now.

You can't be serious about what you said? I am not saying it is the south of Chicago, but there are more empty business on Lakeshore near Colinwood than full.....

Old 04-28-2014, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Really? You are out of your mind if you think those are nice areas. I wouldn't even drive through Colinwood. Euclid Beach used to be nice but it is an absolute dump as I live there now.

You can't be serious about what you said? I am not saying it is the south of Chicago, but there are more empty business on Lakeshore near Colinwood than full.....
I live in Collinwood (in a neighborly, safe, exciting, rapidly improving area I might add), so I'm very familiar with it. There may be some empty businesses on Lakeshore West of 156th, but on the whole, Lakeshore is occupied. The new Collinwood Rec Center is very nice, Euclid Beach which is now under the ownership of the Metroparks is doing much better, and yes, the areas East of Euclid Beach have very nice, upper middle class homes. Look at the housing values up there, they are almost all between $100,000-$150,000 and they're not huge houses. For this real estate market, those are expensive homes.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:30 AM

Quote:
I live in Collinwood (in a neighborly, safe, exciting, rapidly improving area I might add), so I'm very familiar with it. There may be some empty businesses on Lakeshore West of 156th, but on the whole, Lakeshore is occupied. The new Collinwood Rec Center is very nice, Euclid Beach which is now under the ownership of the Metroparks is doing much better, and yes, the areas East of Euclid Beach have very nice, upper middle class homes. Look at the housing values up there, they are almost all between $100,000-$150,000 and they're not huge houses. For this real estate market, those are expensive homes.

I suppose. Tomatoe/Tomato. I've seen some prelim designs for the Euclid Beach area, and they looked spectacular.... I'm assuming they are still waiting for funding.

All in all, like I've said - Cle is not a horrible place to live and I don't think they do a very good job of marketing what it all has to offer; hence, you have to look harder than most cities. I do not find it overly exciting, nor do I find it deathly boring. If I were looking to raise a family, I wouldn't mind doing it around here and it would take a really nice job offer to leave given all scenarios. But, on the flip side, if I were a 20/30 something I don't find it to be the most attractive city, but not horrible... I'd say Cle is right down the middle, as the weather goes

Old 04-28-2014, 05:32 PM

185 posts, read 248,110 times
Cleveland is the 17th largest media market which means something in the real world. Cin and cowtown aka cbus come in at 32 and 34. Cleveland is much more than a cute little town. Sorry fug but your true colors are showing again. Oh you forget about little Italy, university circle, a growing asiatown, kamms corners, and edgewater as stable neighborhoods of cleveland. It's a lot more than Tremont and ohio city. Could you be anymore wrong and ignorant?

I'm sure your next post will answer my question!

Here's a tweet from a twenty something that just moved here from San Fran. He seems to like cleveland! Don't listen to the negative people like fug. Cleveland is as hip as they come...

From Donte Whitner's twitter:

DonteHitner ‏@DonteWhitner 3h
I definitely see that Cleveland is making a comeback... Swear!!! And it's cooler than a lot of big cities... Trust me!

Cleveland, Ohio - In Photos: 15 U.S. Cities' Emerging Downtowns - Forbes

Only LA and NYC beat cleveland when it came to ranking emerging downtowns. Like I said, fug is old and clueless. Don't believe a word she types.

Quote:
I suppose. Tomatoe/Tomato. I've seen some prelim designs for the Euclid Beach area, and they looked spectacular.... I'm assuming they are still waiting for funding.
You should assume less. Your assumptions are really showing your ignorance. It is 100% funded just like the edgewater improvements. Please move if you think Cleveland is so bad. We really do not need you. There are thousands of us new young folks that moved here recently and love it here. We are doing our part to make it the great place that it is. That makes you mad doesn't it?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ii0pP0tuP0g

Yup nothing to do here! Lol

Last edited by Yac; 04-29-2014 at 02:58 AM.. Reason: 6 (!!) posts in a row merged
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland