Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 12:45 AM

493 posts, read 639,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2DB View Post
Also, you seem to take the extreme view of suburbs in your suburb vs. city mental picture. I would suggest the majority of suburbanites are closer to 2k SF and don't chemically treat their lawns. Poorly built? Meh, CH and SH are suburbs and people seem to laud the quality of the homes there. Over-priced? Meh, economics. It's worth what people will pay for it.
You sir are the only smart one here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctownballr27 View Post
The suburbs aren't growing anymore. The core of Cleveland is though...
If by growing, you mean the mold and weeds on the abandoned houses, then yes you're right.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:50 AM

3,413 posts, read 5,122,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reretarff View Post
In Cleveland, it's not even safe to go outside unless you're in a good neighborhood like downtown or Tremont or University Circle. Even there you need to be cautious. I don't understand what your generation is, because McMansions are still being built and couples in their 20's and 30's are moving into these houses and starting families. These houses are really just luxury houses. It's just normal for people who can afford it, live in these houses. These houses aren't "poorly built" nor are they "quickly built by 3 guys". It took 6 guys to build a 12ft.X12ft. platform extension to my deck, let alone a whole 3000+ square foot house. I don't know what you mean by "kids" because you described 20 something year olds. Kids are more likely to stay indoors in a neighborhood that they're more likely to get shot in. In Solon, all the kids go out and walk or bike to different things like sports games, ice cream, restaurants, the park, arcades, friends houses or even just for a bike ride. No kids get "culture" until they're 20 or something. Yes, the area that they live can affect what they do later on in life, such as growing up in New York and taking on an acting career.

Solon is a better place for kids. Cleveland is a better place for 20 year olds and people on welfare and food stamps.
The problem that I have with what you say Rere is that you are a follower, not a leader, but you still like to talk about what leaders should do. You don't actually do anything to improve anything, you just complain about what's not being done. You don't offer any realistic plans, you just say what you would like to see. You criticize the city neighborhoods where in your mind you will get shot, but fail to realize that people were saying those things about the now "good" neighborhoods 20 years ago. People like you fled to Solon and bashed these neighborhoods, while people (including families) with vision, drive, and passion moved in and gentrified these neighborhoods, which people like you now benefit from. People like you do nothing but take, and give back absolutely nothing to the city, while at the same time having the gaul to complain about what's not being done. Many of us here want to help the city get better, and are doing what's in our power to make that happen, but all you do is tell us what Cleveland needs to do to attract people like you. We don't need to cater to people like you. The people who are rebuilding this city are creating the city's destiny, and it will not revolve around attracting stuck up suburbanites back to the city limits.

As far as the "getting shot" and "no kids on the streets" comments, I live in what some would consider a rough neighborhood. Kids are out playing constantly here, as they are in most neighborhoods of the city. Most houses don't have air conditioning- why would the kids stay inside in the summer? Also, I have never legitimately feared for my safety since moving here. People like you who know little about the city vastly overstate the danger. I and the crew that I work with work in some of the worst neighborhoods of the city on a daily basis. Not once has anyone on our crew been attacked, gotten shot, robbed, or even had their car broken into. You know nothing about the city, yet still feel it's your place to criticize it. I believe there's a place for people like you, it's called Cleveland.com.

Last edited by Cleverfield; 06-24-2014 at 01:00 AM..

Old 06-24-2014, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbowes80 View Post
Did ... did you just try to imply that suburban neighborhoods have more architectural variation than those in the city? Did you actually just do that?

No ... just ... no. You're allowed to have whatever opinions you want, but your level of overall ignorance (which you flaunt at every turn) is off the charts.
Shaker Heights is a suburb. No 2 houses there are alike. Solon is a suburb. The houses there are usually different. In the city of Cleveland, each house is identical or almost identical. Those houses were more mass produced. The only neighborhood in Cleveland without identical houses in Bratenahl. The rest of the city of Cleveland has identical houses. Please don't judge Solon.

Old 06-24-2014, 04:52 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Quote:
Shaker Heights is a suburb. No 2 houses there are alike. Solon is a suburb. The houses there are usually different. In the city of Cleveland, each house is identical or almost identical. Those houses were more mass produced. The only neighborhood in Cleveland without identical houses in Bratenahl. The rest of the city of Cleveland has identical houses. Please don't judge Solon.
You've never been to Ohio City or Tremont obviously. Wow This is a stupid post.

Also, Brathenal isn't part of Cleveland.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:34 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,835,238 times
Quote:
Not that many people in Solon are millionaires. Nobody in Solon retired at 30. Hardly any people in Solon own Lamborghini's. People who live the good life in Solon got there because they worked for it and got good educations. We do have those types of show off millionaires in Solon who live in on a golf course in a gated community in a mansion with more bathrooms than people in the house and drive to the grocery store in their Lamborghini Gallardo's. But we only have those douches in small numbers.

For example, there's a family that lives down the street from me, and the parents grew up in East Cleveland, but realized they were smart and went to a good college and got good jobs, and now they have the most expensive and biggest house on the street. We work for what we have in Solon.
Perhaps me pointing out the idealistic nature of whoever's pro-downtown utopia post was a bit too subtle.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:49 AM

185 posts, read 247,858 times
Quote:
If by growing, you mean the mold and weeds on the abandoned houses, then yes you're right.
Cleveland's inner city is growing faster than its suburbs as young adults flock downtown | cleveland.com

Read this ya schlep!

Old 06-24-2014, 10:02 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,835,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
"I know I'm never going to leave Cleveland," he said.
The data suggests he'll change his mind.
Downtown's population nearly doubled from 1990 to 2010, to reach 9,098 people, Piiparinen found, and young adults drove the growth. Between 2000 and 2010, he said, more than 2,000 people younger than age 25 moved into the neighborhood.
They joined a community nearly devoid of people in their 40s. By the time someone turns 35, they are likely living elsewhere, the data shows, suggesting the neighborhood has limited appeal.
"The exodus of the child-rearing age group may neutralize the gain made with the young," Piiparinen warns in his report.
And that is ok.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:16 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,051,721 times
Quote:
No, I think he meant that the overall metro lost people, but areas like Downtown had some of the fastest rates of growth in the entire Midwest. While that growth has been confined to a few areas, it should spread further out as those areas improve and prices rise. It's the reverse donut effect.

The future of Cleveland will be in the hands of the city proper, or the urban core, not the far-flung suburbs.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:20 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,173,361 times
These threads should just start being named "Rere Touts Solon, Impressive Himself With the Obvious, and Summarizes His Ignorance," Volume 1, 2, 3, .... n.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland