Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 05:05 PM

1 posts, read 3,308 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am from out of town and looking recently to move. Well I found a very cute home on 14th st. in Elyria and thought its a great deal. Being a mother I quickly looked up the neighborhood and found out that there are quite a few bad things said about it. The house is sooo cute though!! I would consider it the "south" side I believe from looking at a map. Is this a bad area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 08:21 AM

3,281 posts, read 6,274,103 times
I think that Elyria is just fine.

Old 09-06-2014, 11:35 AM

1,522 posts, read 2,999,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
I think that Elyria is just fine.
I'm not familiar enough with Elyria to comment on 14th St. specifically, but I do know Elyria is like all of the smaller post industrial cities around here in that there are good neighborhoods and bad neighborhoods. Specifically Elyria has newer development type nice neighborhoods and also "the hood," and those inbetween.

Depending on your tolerance it is a good idea to do some groundwork like you're doing.

Old 09-06-2014, 01:47 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,274,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareBetterThanAll View Post
I'm not familiar enough with Elyria to comment on 14th St. specifically, but I do know Elyria is like all of the smaller post industrial cities around here in that there are good neighborhoods and bad neighborhoods. Specifically Elyria has newer development type nice neighborhoods and also "the hood," and those inbetween.

Depending on your tolerance it is a good idea to do some groundwork like you're doing.
Agreed. It's a larger, older satellite city of Cleveland, and like its peers it's been in a period of transition. I do think it's held up pretty well despite changes, but as with any move it would be wise to visit the area, talk with locals, and get a better feel of what you're getting into.

Old 09-07-2014, 04:56 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,534,977 times
Give it the ol' Wal-mart test. Walk in wal-mart on the 1st of the month, observe behavior, mannerisms, attitude, and conversations. If you are comfortable with what you witness, then the city is probably going to meet your expectations. It's no coincidence that some of the best cities that I've ever visited pass the wal-mart observance test! Look at the plates of the cars in the parking lot. Are they the same county or not? Simple observations can tell you a great deal about an area.

Old 09-07-2014, 06:32 PM

3,412 posts, read 5,122,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmodder View Post
Give it the ol' Wal-mart test. Walk in wal-mart on the 1st of the month, observe behavior, mannerisms, attitude, and conversations. If you are comfortable with what you witness, then the city is probably going to meet your expectations. It's no coincidence that some of the best cities that I've ever visited pass the wal-mart observance test! Look at the plates of the cars in the parking lot. Are they the same county or not? Simple observations can tell you a great deal about an area.
Not a good measure, as wal-mart always attracts the lowest rung of the social ladder, no matter where you are. All you are measuring is the behavior of the bottom, which is likely to be the same most everywhere.

Old 09-07-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Not a good measure, as wal-mart always attracts the lowest rung of the social ladder, no matter where you are. All you are measuring is the behavior of the bottom, which is likely to be the same most everywhere.

If the bottom is good in a given area, then rest assured the top is too!

Old 09-08-2014, 03:36 PM

1,522 posts, read 2,999,669 times
Quote:
If the bottom is good in a given area, then rest assured the top is too!
If that is your benchmark I wouldn't move anywhere. Having been in many Wal-Marts in my day, good areas, bad areas, tourist areas, average areas, they universally make me itch.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareBetterThanAll View Post
If that is your benchmark I wouldn't move anywhere. Having been in many Wal-Marts in my day, good areas, bad areas, tourist areas, average areas, they universally make me itch.
For the most part, wal-marts that I've been in where I'm not asking myself "what the hell did I just hear or see?!?" have in most cases been in areas that are preferable to my tastes. Not saying that this method will appeal to everyone, but after numerous visits to stores all over the country, I find it to be a good indicator.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:48 PM

24,096 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Quote:

The Walmart test is not a bad idea. More people shop there than they admit. Next head to the supermarket. Like what you see? Every one eats food. So the locals will be there. Then personally, I head to the library. Because I read. Is it almost empty? Are the only people who are there using the internet?
Or, do you see mothers with young children taking out books for them?

Are these people you could see yourself socializing with - or not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland