Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 05:00 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,374,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
The cold temps are easy enough to deal with (and the humidity here in the summer isn't that much different than what it is in Cleveland). The weather is horrid because Cleveland is the 5th most cloudy city in the country. Over 1/2 of the year is cloudy ( more than 3/4 of the sky covered) there. The dreariness of the long winters is what I didn't like. Snow from Halloween to Easter is a long season. Waiting until June to see leaves on the trees is asking too much. Going 80-90 days without seeing the sun is awful.

Summer in Ohio is stunning though. Yards and gardens are very well kept and plants grow to prehistoric sizes. It is a short season though and doesn't really get warm enough to go swimming.

I've been looking at the Cleveland Flickr group. It really is a beautiful city. I miss it.
U lost all credibility with your nonsense.. We can't go swimming? Really?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 05:40 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,683,469 times
In case it isn't obvious, it's all perspective. To a Norwegian the water around Cleveland is warm...

When you've been spoiled with hot days and warm water, swimming in Lake Erie when the air temperature is only in the mid 80's is very unpleasant. There's a reason why every other license plate in Virginia Beach is from Ohio.

The locals have to go swimming, seeing as how the summer is so short one must take advantage of every day

Old 10-23-2014, 01:29 PM

130 posts, read 297,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bballer10891 View Post
Cleveland certainly is a great city to live. I recommend you move to Cleveland.

Our winters can get bad, but are usually moderate at most. It usually stays around 30 degrees in the winter, but it can tilt down or up once in a while. In Cleveland, there really is no average climate for the winter. A few years back on New Years it was 60 degrees! But this winter was one of the worst, and it dipped well into the negatives for a week. If you can handle a little cold and a little snow, then you'll be fine. Overall, the roads get cleaned up pretty well in the winter, so ice and snow shouldn't be a problem. But, there are those days that it rains and that water freezes over and causes major problems on the roads and freeways.

Since you're on a fixed income, I recommend you live in a neighborhood with lower costs. If you're going to buy a house or rent an apartment, I recommend you live in Cleveland Heights, Shaker Heights, or University Circle. They are neighborhoods that are right next to each other, and are one of the best neighborhoods in Cleveland. They all have tons of historic great looking houses and mansions, and they even have numerous historic apartment buildings. The rent in mot apartments there are usually lower, and on top of that, some of the best public transportation goes through there. 2 RTA Rapid lines go through there, along with several bus routes. The top nightlife areas there are Cedar-Lee, Van Aken, and Euclid-MLK Drive. In University Circle, there are tons of great museums and theaters, The Cleveland Clinic Main Campus, and Cleveland's Own Little Italy.

I highly recommend you come to Cleveland. You'll be glad you did.
This is very helpful feedback -- thank you! You give me hope I'm just worried about the utilities (heating, especially). I'm just looking for downtown living wherever that is and Cleveland seems to have nice, modern apartments. But I got scared about heating costs going over $200! I had a 3 bedroom (about 1375 sf), one level apartment and my highest bill for electric was $85 -- that includes cooking, washing, heating, cooling, computers, anything electric (I live on the shore in Virginia). My water/sewer/trash bill though was the highest I've ever had in all my renting life -- $107 per month -- because that is the MINIMUM charged by the town.

It wouldn't make sense if my apartment rent is reasonable and then have to budget $300-400 per month average (??) for utilities.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
Downtown Clevland is very pretty. The housing surrounding it is very ugly.

VCU Medical Center is a large teaching hospital in the center of the city. It doesn't support medical tourism like the Cleveland Clinic but 99% of your medical needs can be met there or at any of the great hospitals throughout the metro (at one point VCU Mecical Center enjoyed the status of having the highest number of patients arriving DOA walking out of the hospital after treatment. It is a trauma center).

The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts.

Lots of local theater groups, a huge dance scene, a ballet, a Latin ballet, an opera, a symphony... but no. They aren't concentrated in one theater district.

Richmond is not on a Great Lake.

What does Clevland have that compares to Monument Avenue, Saint John's Church, Cold Harbor (Malvern Hill, Fort Harrison, Petersburg National Battlefield etc), the VA statehouse, Tuckahoe Plantation (Berkley, Westover, Shirley), citie of Henricus, the James River, hills, dense forests, the Jefferson Hotel, Hanover Tavern, Marshall House, Tredegar Iron Works, the Museum of the Confederacy, the VCU art school, the Fan, Church Hill, the Buttermilk and north Bank trails, Belle Island...?

Cleveland is obviously much larger and I'm really not comfortable writing negative things about the city because once again, I think it is a great city. The housing is ugly and the weather is horrid. That's about all of the negativity I have in me regarding the subject. The demographics, economy, weather and visuals are better in Richmond.

It's obvious that the person posing the topic question decided on Cleveland. The question was posed in the Cleveland forum after all
Nope. I haven't decided on Cleveland yet. And yes, the sun does show here on the shore in Virginia, sometimes even when it's raining. I'm Vit. D deficient and that's another thing to consider.

I'm visiting Richmond last week of October to scope out the neighborhoods and visit some apartments. You seem to know a lot about Richmond, Spencer114. I'll send you a DM to ask about some details.

Thank you for your input -- it's good to have different views as long as they're honest and factual. Keep them coming!

Old 10-24-2014, 12:52 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,270,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazfora View Post
This is very helpful feedback -- thank you! You give me hope I'm just worried about the utilities (heating, especially). I'm just looking for downtown living wherever that is and Cleveland seems to have nice, modern apartments. But I got scared about heating costs going over $200! I had a 3 bedroom (about 1375 sf), one level apartment and my highest bill for electric was $85 -- that includes cooking, washing, heating, cooling, computers, anything electric (I live on the shore in Virginia). My water/sewer/trash bill though was the highest I've ever had in all my renting life -- $107 per month -- because that is the MINIMUM charged by the town.

It wouldn't make sense if my apartment rent is reasonable and then have to budget $300-400 per month average (??) for utilities.

I lived in BOTH Richmond and Cleveland, and Cleveland wins hands down.

Pros for Cleveland:

Better healthcare.
Larger city.
Better transit systems

As for heating costs, I owned a 2500 sq ft, 5 BR home in Lakewood and my gas bills averaged under $100 per month. HINT: it is in the insulation. So many of the homes in Richmond and other parts of VA are poorly insulated.

Old 11-10-2014, 11:06 PM

6 posts, read 33,388 times
This says it all......Richmond is terrific.....last winter was so mild....Best hospitals.....VCU Medical Center right down town and hospitals all over that are wonderful. Just do a little research from this list below.....You won't be sorry if you move here. Southerners are known for their friendliness too..........Good luck!
Frommer’s Top Destinations for 2014
Best City for 4th of July Celebrations – Wallethub.com
#3 on Best Mid-Sized cities in America for food lovers - MyLife.com
Named one of the 10 Cities You Should Explore On Two Wheels – BuzzFeed
Shockoe Bottom #23 Best Neighborhood for Young People – Yahoo Finance
Named New Runner Friendly Community – Road Runners Club of America
#9 Top 10 Cities for Responsive Open Government, Livability.com
#5 Top Affordable Cities to Buy a Home by HomeInsurance.com
Richmond Named One of Top '10 Hottest Housing Markets for 2014': CNN Money
American College of Sports Medicine's Fittest Cities

Old 11-23-2014, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binkyboo32 View Post
This says it all......Richmond is terrific.....last winter was so mild....Best hospitals.....VCU Medical Center right down town and hospitals all over that are wonderful. Just do a little research from this list below.....You won't be sorry if you move here. Southerners are known for their friendliness too..........Good luck!
Frommer’s Top Destinations for 2014
Best City for 4th of July Celebrations – Wallethub.com
#3 on Best Mid-Sized cities in America for food lovers - MyLife.com
Named one of the 10 Cities You Should Explore On Two Wheels – BuzzFeed
Shockoe Bottom #23 Best Neighborhood for Young People – Yahoo Finance
Named New Runner Friendly Community – Road Runners Club of America
#9 Top 10 Cities for Responsive Open Government, Livability.com
#5 Top Affordable Cities to Buy a Home by HomeInsurance.com
Richmond Named One of Top '10 Hottest Housing Markets for 2014': CNN Money
American College of Sports Medicine's Fittest Cities
I'm sold on Richmond and moving there this December in one of those renovated downtown office buildings. I'm really liking it now, much more than when I first visited in 2010. If all goes as planned with City improvements, Richmond has a lot of potential. Hope the media doesn't hype it too much or cost of living will skyrocket.

Now one important question: why is there only one first-run cinema in the city, for god's sake. I plotted the bus ride to Regal, the next closest one in the suburbs and getting there will take hours.

Old 12-11-2014, 07:17 AM

9 posts, read 10,019 times
I enjoyed this read.

Personally, I have lived in Richmond and absolutely LOVED it. So far, it's my favorite city that I've ever lived which includes Charlotte, Greensboro/Winston-Salem, Raleigh/Durham, Wilmington (NC). Columbia (SC), Beckley(WV), Lexington (VA) and in the hospitality industry, I have traveled to so many cities across America.

Having said that, the first part of my family is moving to Cleveland in March and the rest will come up when our home sells. We are EXTREMELY excited about Cleveland as it seems like a totally awesome city that we will be able to take full advantage of.

Now, for those pesky winters

Old 12-11-2014, 08:21 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,429,613 times
Default Cleveland winters

They are much more mild than several decades ago.

Even last winter wasn't as bad as in past winters when I-71 south of Cleveland was closed for a couple days under massive drifts.

We had a significant snow storm just before Thanksgiving this year, and haven't had snow again yet, and I live in the "lake effect" snow belt, which includes Chagrin Falls (responded to your other post), however.

Actually the snow is great if you would like to sled, cross country ski, hike, etc. The cloudy skies likely are a bigger issue IMO, and sunny winter days are a joy.

Chagrin Falls is adjacent to the South Chagrin Reservation and convenient to many other parks, including the Cuyahoga Valley National Park and the likes of Holden Arboretum in Kirtland. Holden is one of the largest and best in the U.S. with natural areas that are National Natural Landmarks.

If you have young kids, they'll enjoy the Lake County Metroparks Farmpark in Kirtland. Punderson State Park, with a lighted sledding hill, is Ohio's designated winter recreation state park.

Native Clevelanders often enjoy the snowy season and many of us lament its shortened nature and the increasing paucity of the snow cover. A "white Christmas" is no longer the norm, with the snowy season not becoming pronounced until late December, early January.

Old 12-11-2014, 11:20 AM

9 posts, read 10,019 times
Yes, when we get up there our twins will be 5, and we also have a 14 and 16 year old. I'm 52 so the cold isn't as "awesome" as it once was. Sounds like lots to do. The winters in our area are not as significant as I seem to remember as a child. we used to be able to sled annually several times a year. Now, I can't remember the last good sledding snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland