Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2017, 06:27 AM

840 posts, read 759,647 times

Advertisements

Cleveland Neighborhoods on The Rise

http://www.cleveland.com/sponsor-con...aACArTsNANisNA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2017, 05:33 AM

Looks interesting:

Movie about growing up Japanese-American in Cleveland to air on PBS | cleveland.com

Old 05-09-2017, 07:22 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,423,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by october2007 View Post
This article made me chuckle.

This family grew up in Little Italy, according to the article, likely when the mob was still active there. They likely would have had a very different experience in Shaker Hts., where I actually knew well a Japanese-American family at the same time. There were quite a few Japanese in Shaker Hts., and Shuhei there was, and still is, very popular. I remember that there was a Japanese-American tennis team in the Cleveland Men's Tennis League in the 1960s.

A friend bought a rental property in Little Italy in the 1970s. Soon after the purchase, he was visited by representatives of the Cleveland mob instructing him carefully about the limitations on his tenant options. Little Italy was not a place of racial tolerance and diversity.

A story about the experience of African Americans in Little Italy would have been much more brutal.

That's the thing about Cleveland and even the entire U.S. It's difficult to characterize and entire city and nation by the actions in one community.

A much more difficult situation was one that I witnessed in the 1950s, where a GI brought home his Japanese war bride from the occupation when anti-Japanese sentiment was still strong, especially in Ohio where the Ohio National Guard "Buckeye Division" served in the Pacific theater, beginning at Guadalcanal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/37th_I...mbat_chronicle

I'll watch this documentary, as I wonder if the Buckeye Division will be mentioned, and how anti-Japanese feelings ran deep in Ohio for many decades after WWII. (It's ironic that Honda made Ohio one of its manufacturing centers.)

Despite the atrocities of the Nazis, I knew several persons, all airmen, who actually survived German prison camps, despite the destruction that the American Army Air Corps wreaked on Germany.

What would be a great documentary is how the experiences of the World War II generation shaped the Baby Boomers. It's hard to believe, but I remember when tanks would roll down streets for a Memorial Day parade in Lake County, even though the streets would have to be repaved after each parade.

Last edited by WRnative; 05-09-2017 at 08:33 AM..

Old 05-09-2017, 07:35 AM

869 posts, read 1,277,197 times
http://www.forbes.com/sites/ambergib...-to-cleveland/

Old 05-09-2017, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
This article made me chuckle.

This family grew up in Little Italy, according to the article, likely when the mob was still active there. They likely would have had a very different experience in Shaker Hts., where I actually knew well a Japanese-American family at the same time. There were quite a few Japanese in Shaker Hts., and Shuhei there was, and still is very popular. I remember that there was a Japanese-American tennis team in the Cleveland Men's Tennis League in the 1960s.

A friend bought a rental property in Little Italy in the 1970s. Soon after the purchase, he was visited by representatives of the Cleveland mob instructing him carefully about the limitations on his tenant options. Little Italy was not a place of racial tolerance and diversity.

A story about the experience of African Americans in Little Italy would have been much more brutal.

That's the thing about Cleveland and even the entire U.S. It's difficult to characterize and entire city and nation by the actions in one community.

A much more difficult situation was one that I witnessed in the 1950s, where a GI brought home his Japanese war bride from the occupation when anti-Japanese was still strong, especially in Ohio where the Ohio National Guard "Buckeye Division" served in the Pacific theater, beginning at Guadalcanal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/37th_I...mbat_chronicle

I'll watch this documentary, as I wonder if the Buckeye Division will be mentioned, and how anti-Japanese feelings ran deep in Ohio for many decades after WWII. (It's ironic that Honda made Ohio one of its manufacturing centers.)

Despite the atrocities of the Nazis, I knew several persons, all airmen, who actually survived German prison camps, despite the destruction that the American Army Air Corps wreaked on Germany.

What would be a great documentary is how the experiences of the World War II generation shaped the Baby Boomers. It's hard to believe, but I remember when tanks would roll down streets for a Memorial Day parade in Lake County, even though the streets would have to be repaved after each parade.
Maybe you should make the documentary you wish was made!

Old 05-10-2017, 06:44 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
Pretty positive praise by Katie Curic.

WKYC's Jim Donovan talks with Katie Couric on Wednesday's 'Donovan Live!'

Old 05-14-2017, 05:17 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,373,416 times
https://www.google.com/amp/amp.cleve..._leos_casi.amp

Old 05-15-2017, 12:02 PM

194 posts, read 191,108 times
Cleveland is #1 on this list: Here are the 9 best US housing markets for investment

Here are the 9 best US housing markets for investment - Business Insider

Old 05-15-2017, 01:40 PM

120 posts, read 107,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reioh View Post
Cleveland is #1 on this list: Here are the 9 best US housing markets for investment

Here are the 9 best US housing markets for investment - Business Insider
The housing market in Cleveland is only going to continue to rise. Get in now while the prices are still affordable. Those looking for a bust/bubble are going to be disappointed..

Old 05-16-2017, 07:01 AM

194 posts, read 191,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-rob2727 View Post
The housing market in Cleveland is only going to continue to rise. Get in now while the prices are still affordable. Those looking for a bust/bubble are going to be disappointed..
What are some current trends that would support your case that the housing market in Cleveland will continue to rise?

Also, the housing prices have risen mostly in a few areas. I wouldn't expect major busts in areas where the prices have not risen recently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland