Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 10:31 AM

82 posts, read 79,232 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Cleveland in June for work. At the same time I am looking to do my MBA and I was accepted in Ohio University MBA program. How is the perception of Ohio University in Ohio and specifically in Cleveland? I am not just referring to their MBA program specifically (opinions on this is welcome as well) but on Ohio University as an institution as a whole?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 11:24 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,443,083 times
Given its distance from Cleveland, Ohio Univ. in Athens, OH, is not as well known as state schools such as the urban universities of Cleveland State and University of Akron. The most popular rural/suburban state universities for Greater Cleveland students are Kent State and Bowling Green. The Univ. of Miami in Oxford, OH, is a "public Ivy" with a very highly ranked undergraduate education.

The Ohio State University with its main campus in Columbus and with large satellite campuses also is a big draw from Greater Cleveland.

While Ohio University is not well known in Greater Cleveland, many persons know someone who matriculated there. It's perhaps best known for its journalism program. It's considered to have an attractive campus in a beautiful region of the state. Check out the Hocking Hills.

Keep in mind that Cleveland is one of the nation's cultural and pro sports centers, so persons might prefer to stay in northeast Ohio, especially to stay closer to family. Kent State offers a similarly rural campus to O.U., not far from the beautiful Ohio Amish Country, while also offering easy access to Cleveland/Akron attractions.

See rankings here of MBA programs, noting there are different rankings for finance and executive MBA programs. Perusing the rankings, Ohio State has the highest ranked MBA program (27th nationally) in Ohio with the University of Cincinnati (60) second highest. Case Western Reserve in Cleveland is a private school and is the only other Ohio university with a ranked MBA (65) program. Ohio University's MBA program isn't ranked by U.S. News and World Report.

Best Business School Rankings | MBA Program Rankings | US News

If you're interested in career prospects, generally the highest ranked schools (which consider job prospects for graduates) are much better. Also, obtaining an MS in a business speciality such as accounting, statistics, applied mathematics, information technology, etc., may be a very smart alternative.

There's some perception in the U.S. that many MBA programs aren't worth the time and expense.

For the general rankings of national universities, Case Western is highest ranked in Ohio at 38, Ohio State (not Ohio Univ.) follows at 54, then Miami in Oxford is ranked 76, the Univ. of Dayton 103, then Ohio Univ. and Univ. of Cincinnati in a tie at 129.

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandre...rsities/page+2

Miami Univ. in Oxford is ranked as offering the second best undergraduate education in the U.S. (how is its overall ranking only 76?).

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandre...duate-teaching

Have you considered the Weatherhead School at Case Western for your MBA as it's located in Cleveland? Will your Ohio U. MBA program be an online course? There are separate ratings for online MBAs. If you will have to travel to Ohio U., that will be an aggravation. With every year, Case Western is becoming a more prestigious university so its degrees perhaps have more value.

Good luck!

Last edited by WRnative; 01-03-2015 at 12:39 PM..

Old 01-03-2015, 11:32 AM

I appreciate the feedback. I am looking at Ohio University as they are now offering their Professional MBA program in Cleveland and, with that, I would not necessarily go to Athens unless I just want to visit the campus. Also, my company will be paying for the degree.

I do realize that in Ohio, there is Case Western University, Ohio State, then everyone else. Ohio State is too far from Cleveland, and Case is extremely expensive, even if my company will pay. Is there a population of Ohio University graduates in Cleveland or would I be a loner with a degree from them in Cleveland? Also, with what you stated previously and since you are in Ohio (I never lived in Ohio before), will a degree from Ohio University be looked down upon?

Last edited by mjnoles1; 01-03-2015 at 12:04 PM..

Old 01-03-2015, 11:57 AM

3,281 posts, read 6,278,924 times
IMO, it's a suburban middle-class party school, at least considering the types of students from Cleveland that often matriculate. It's not bad academically, but if you do your undergrad there don't be surprised if the initial line of questioning coming from people who hear you attended school there surrounds certain party/drug scenes.

Old 01-03-2015, 12:22 PM

Thank you for the opinions so far, I am looking to make a decision very very shortly. Clevelander17, I already received my bachelors, I will be looking at Ohio University for their Masters of Business Administration.

I look forward to more opinions on the academics at Ohio University, the perceived quality of education from people that live in Cleveland, and if there is a good size alumni base in Cleveland.

Old 01-03-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjnoles1 View Post
I appreciate the feedback. I am looking at Ohio University as they are now offering their Professional MBA program in Cleveland and, with that, I would not necessarily go to Athens unless I just want to visit the campus. Also, my company will be paying for the degree.

I do realize that in Ohio, there is Case Western University, Ohio State, then everyone else. Ohio State is too far from Cleveland, and Case is extremely expensive, even if my company will pay. Is there a population of Ohio University graduates in Cleveland or would I be a loner with a degree from them in Cleveland? Also, with what you stated previously and since you are in Ohio (I never lived in Ohio before), will a degree from Ohio University be looked down upon?
I would look very closely at course offerings and who was teaching classes. E.g., the Ohio Univ. MBA program in Cleveland may be using part-time, non-tenured professors. Acquiring useful skills likely is more important than just acquiring a paper degree. So employers may ask you how you earned a degree from Ohio U. while working in Cleveland, and not be as impressed by a satellite program.

I don't think an MBA degree from Ohio Univ. will be looked down upon, it just won't be as respected as one from Ohio State or Case Western. If you have a large employer, talk to HR and management about their opinions of your options.

I doubt if there is a very large population of Ohio Univ. graduates in Cleveland, especially with MBA degrees. I'm certain there is a local alumni club, so perhaps check to see its membership.

My best advice is to focus on a study program, whether an MBA or an MS, that will most enhance your career and your value to your employer. Your employer might prefer you get a degree from Case Western, and perhaps even have a discount available there (just thinking), because of the significant local connections if for no other reason. It wouldn't be surprising if your firm had preferences and opinions.

Believe it or not, top graduates of Cleveland State at one time were very highly regarded for accounting, engineering and applied mathematics, especially by local employers. I'm retired so haven't paid attention to current perceptions. As a public university, CSU often paid professors more than Case Western. With a very heavy night program, professors also could consult during the day greatly enhancing their incomes.

CSU's law school is very dominant in Cleveland due to its number of graduates and ranked 114 among U.S. law schools and 56 for part-time students. CSU's Levin College of Urban Affairs is ranked second for city management and urban policy.

Last edited by WRnative; 01-03-2015 at 12:43 PM..

Old 01-03-2015, 12:48 PM

Thank you for the insight. Disappointed there is not a larger alumni base in Cleveland since it is only 3-4 hours away. I would of thought a lot of students went to Ohio University and moved back "home" to Cleveland after graduation. I guess I am wrong.

I was accepted to their online MBA and was going to begin it before I make the move in June. With their newly formed Professional MBA in Cleveland, I wrongfully thought there would be more alumni in Cleveland then previously. Really disappointed there is few Ohio University alumni's

Old 01-03-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjnoles1 View Post
Thank you for the insight. Disappointed there is not a larger alumni base in Cleveland since it is only 3-4 hours away. I would of thought a lot of students went to Ohio University and moved back "home" to Cleveland after graduation. I guess I am wrong.

I was accepted to their online MBA and was going to begin it before I make the move in June. With their newly formed Professional MBA in Cleveland, I wrongfully thought there would be more alumni in Cleveland then previously. Really disappointed there is few Ohio University alumni's
Doesn't Ohio State offer an online MBA? Columbus is even closer than Athens and Ohio State obviously has a significant alumni presence in Greater Cleveland as well as a much higher-rated MBA program.

Old 01-03-2015, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Doesn't Ohio State offer an online MBA? Columbus is even closer than Athens and Ohio State obviously has a significant alumni presence in Greater Cleveland as well as a much higher-rated MBA program.
Unfortunately Ohio State does not, I checked. University of Cincinnati does have an online MBA. Thoughts on the University of Cincinnati?

Old 01-03-2015, 02:11 PM

207 posts, read 339,124 times
Have you considered John Carroll's MBA? It is convenient and a respected school in Cleveland. OU isn't looked down upon. It is not as well known as OSU and other local schools.

@WRnative it is Miami University, University of Miami is in Florida. @Clevelander17 To call OU a suburban school is a stretch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland