Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 05:38 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Oberlin is a college town as opposed to a university town, albeit an extremely good college town. Oberlin College is not considered a national university, at least not in the U.S. News & World Report ratings.

It's a national liberal arts college. A different category of institutions of higher learning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 06:04 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,278,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Shaker is a great school district, but it's not great for people who don't want to expose their kids to the realities of life for a diverse group of people, including some who come from poverty. In other words, if you're a helicopter mom, don't send your kids to Shaker. But if you're pretty liberal, open-minded, and think that, besides strong academics and extracurricular activities, exposing your kids to wide variety of people is valuable, then there's no better school district than Shaker in the Cleveland area.
If I knew for certain that my (hypothetical) kid were going to be taking multiple AP/IB courses, be involved in music or the performing arts, and/or interested in playing sports at the highest levels, there'd be few better options in Northeast Ohio for such a child than Shaker Heights. While Beachwood has that whole isolationist thing going for it which provides for an above-average learning environment, because of its size, its offerings pale in comparison to what Shaker Heights offers. Shaker also offers walkable neighborhood schools, historic old homes, and the suburban best access to Cleveland's rapid transit system. I'm not wealthy, nor do I ever plan to be, but there's little doubt that wealthy folks and families are still finding SH to be a top choice.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:30 PM

4,668 posts, read 4,980,348 times
This thread has gone off into la-la land with the ridiculous digs at the west side. The west side is just less wealthy, period. People there aren't showy about the relatively meager wealth they do have. I've never in real life heard the west side described as more pretentious than the east side, and I lived in Cleveland for 25 years. As someone else said, I see your Westlake and I'll raise you a Solon -- not that either place is that bad. People moving to Avon or f***ing Grafton because they want more land and they want to save on taxes are "nouveau riche," you have to be kidding me. I don't know where you people get some of this stuff.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:29 PM

207 posts, read 339,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
People moving to Avon or f***ing Grafton because they want more land and they want to save on taxes are "nouveau riche," you have to be kidding me. I don't know where you people get some of this stuff.
I don't know where you are getting this from. I didn't connect "moving to Avon or...Grafton" or "want[ing] to save on taxes" with being a part of the nouveau riche. It has nothing to do with lower taxes. My point is simply, a principle at Mckinsey can drive an older,entry level German car and his wife an American SUV, a Cleveland Clinic doctor can drive a Toyota, without feeling the need to show off or impress his neighbors. Likewise, he/she wouldn't feel the urge to have his/her largest investment be a house-just to show off. On the West side, an accountant, engineer, factory supervisor, making $90,000 or $100,000 would drive a $40,000 BMW so as to keep up with the Joneses and live in an expensive house (relative to income). It is a different mentality.

Also, I wouldn't characterize this as a "dig" on the West side-just pointing out differences.

I wouldn't say the East side is necessarily less pretentious (although I think it is) but at least, pretentious in a different way. Maybe in less tangible ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
As someone else said, I see your Westlake and I'll raise you a Solon -- not that either place is that bad.
Yes, Solon is an example of a place that can lend itself to ostentatious displays. Yes, in that respect, it can be like West side suburbs-with more diversity. As I stated, broadly speaking.

Last edited by jprice15; 02-04-2015 at 09:37 PM..

Old 02-05-2015, 07:34 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,677,344 times
Yeah I've never really been much of an East Side vs. West Side guy, I know both offer great things and have some differences. I have at some times done a comparison of like the 'top ten assets of each' which has really produced good results for both. I'd say the West Side due to more lake access and also the Rocky River Reservation is closer to town than any similar East Side green space (Nature Center is small). Only problem on the west side I've had is during the winter , while there are many wonderful dining options it's a bit harder to find indoor places to go besides eating and drinking (in summer months it doesn't matter because you just walk around/enjoy neighborhood ambience.

Ah ok. Considering there are many that are tops then, and the innovative things they have/have done, in my arguments I'll just say Top 10 (don't want to go to far), and I'll stick with that story hahaha.

One interesting thing I heard, is it true just for Oberlin students or all residents , that they can rent Picasso/Dali/Monet paintings from their art museum for a time?? I'd say that's pretty dang unique. Also. Cool about CIM for Case. Is the same true for the Cleveland Institute of Art?

PS: Speaking of music programs (if anyone here is into that) Whiplash is a compelling, albeit fictional story about the pressures students at elite musical institutions face. It was nominated for best picture , however I don't know that it could ever get as bad as it was in the story, without someone immediately coming forward. But, despite the somewhat dark theme, seeing the heart and degree of human desire to succeed over the course of that movie was moving

Old 02-05-2015, 02:23 PM

39 posts, read 66,954 times
Default School Funding Considerations

Anyone concerned about the future funding of local public school districts and the potential implications for school district quality and community desirability may want to pay attention to Kasich's budget proposal to shift state funds to local schools:

Lower state funding has many school districts upset with Gov. Kasich's plan | cleveland.com

Old 02-05-2015, 08:04 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,677,344 times
Also question about the Allen (Oberlin Art Museum) Does it have more in terms of 20th century works than CMA? Don't get me wrong CMA is world class top 5 in US, but seems like it's best assets are ancient Egyptian/Greek, Pre Columbian, Asian, and 17th-19th century European. Even the modern stuff there seems to be mainly pop art/Warhol stuff. As far as recent modern art (which is what my fiancé is big on) there doesn't seem to be much. So I was wondering whether the Allen or MOCA had more in terms of "that" type of art (modern/recent, I'm not a big art guy though so I wouldn't know)

Old 02-05-2015, 08:07 PM

207 posts, read 339,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelander1991 View Post
Yeah I've never really been much of an East Side vs. West Side guy, I know both offer great things and have some differences. I have at some times done a comparison of like the 'top ten assets of each' which has really produced good results for both. I'd say the West Side due to more lake access and also the Rocky River Reservation is closer to town than any similar East Side green space (Nature Center is small). Only problem on the west side I've had is during the winter , while there are many wonderful dining options it's a bit harder to find indoor places to go besides eating and drinking (in summer months it doesn't matter because you just walk around/enjoy neighborhood ambience.

Ah ok. Considering there are many that are tops then, and the innovative things they have/have done, in my arguments I'll just say Top 10 (don't want to go to far), and I'll stick with that story hahaha.

One interesting thing I heard, is it true just for Oberlin students or all residents , that they can rent Picasso/Dali/Monet paintings from their art museum for a time?? I'd say that's pretty dang unique. Also. Cool about CIM for Case. Is the same true for the Cleveland Institute of Art?

PS: Speaking of music programs (if anyone here is into that) Whiplash is a compelling, albeit fictional story about the pressures students at elite musical institutions face. It was nominated for best picture , however I don't know that it could ever get as bad as it was in the story, without someone immediately coming forward. But, despite the somewhat dark theme, seeing the heart and degree of human desire to succeed over the course of that movie was moving

Yes, it is true. The WSJ featured it a few years ago.

Want a Picasso, Chagall, Matisse for only $5? Attend Oberlin - WSJ

Old 02-06-2015, 10:44 PM

33 posts, read 87,895 times
East side... West side... The way it was explained to me when I moved here 15 years ago:

If west siders need a fancy outfit for a big event, they go to the east side. If east siders need a fancy outfit... they go to New York.

The NBA, NFL and MLB players live on the west side. The owners/management live on the east...

Old 02-13-2015, 09:04 PM

417 posts, read 594,685 times
I do not recommend Cleveland Heights but if you are husband is a resident then Cleveland Heights would be great due to the proximity. Cleveland Heights used to be affluent but it has deteriorated. Shaker Heights has pockets of good areas but it is surrounded by some really bad areas. The schools are good in Shaker Heights though. Chagrin Falls is nice a nice area and Orange schools are good.

Which Cleveland Clinic will he be working at? I would suggest renting an apartment until you know the area that you feel comfortable in. Your husband has to feel comfortable with the drive. Does he have to stay close to the hospital? Will he be on call frequently?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland