Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 07:21 PM

26 posts, read 91,458 times

Advertisements

Lakewood was an incredible place to grow up. I now live in Washington, DC but I always look back at my youth in Lakewood and am blessed to have grown up in such a hospitable, friendly place. Eventually, when I start a family, I want to find a place that similiar to Lakewood. Unfortanately, its way out of my price range in the DC Market.

What were your favorite experience in Lakewood? My favorite was riding my bike down the street to get Ice Cream at the Dairy Queen on Detroit, or going there after my Tee Ball games! Ahhh the memories!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 08:15 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,899,018 times
My wife grew up there(parents are still there) and when we started dating, was back living with her folks just after college. I absolutely fell in love with the place and lived there for 11 years, really embracing the town. I love the architecture of the old streetcar suburbs of the 1920s: shops at the street level, apartments above, great walk-ability. Unfortunately, half of those shops are empty now. People just whiz down the streets in their cars on their way to Rocky River or Westlake where all of the new, shiny malls are

On a positive note, I loved some of the local restaurants, bars shops and coffee-houses and supported them relentlessly. Real neighborhood places, where you could meet people, have conversation, watch a game, eat, drink and be merry. Being so close to the Lake was also a real treat. Just seeing it everyday was nice.

I love Lakewood.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:05 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
I didn't grow up in Lakewood, but I did live there for the first fifteen years of my adult life, and absolutely loved it. The scenic, picturesque location... the stately old homes... the mature trees... the lake... the walkability... the charm and character... the shops, restaurants and nightlife... I loved the fact that I could take a walk and look at grand old lakefront mansions just a few blocks from my very modest apartment.

I like the economic diversity of Lakewood... that for housing you can find nearly anything available, from small condos costing less than $30,000 to palatial lakefront homes for $1 million or more, and everything in between... everything, that is, except your typical suburban subdivisions filled with cookie-cutter "McMansions"... those, happily, are missing. And if you rent, you can get anything from a small, old apartment for under $500 to a Gold Coast penthouse -- or a large four-bedroom colonial -- costing much more. Such wide economic diversity means Lakewood's a great place to start out if you don't have much money, but you can continue to live there and "trade up" as your situation improves. I think having different income groups living in close proximity to one another is very healthy. When I was just starting out, having rich people living nearby actually inspired me... it made me feel like such a lifestyle wasn't something very remote and unattainable, and that was good for me psychologically. I think it's good for lower-class youth to have successful role models living nearby whom they can observe and emulate -- it helps you to strive.

And the people in Lakewood I found to be very friendly, very down to earth, unpretentious. Neighbors were neighborly without being nosy, which to me is the perfect combination.

Guess I'm just rambling now... and starting to get just a wee bit homesick...

Old 01-13-2008, 09:09 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times
My friend Phil grew up in Lakewood and he told me he enjoyed it. He lives in Oklahoma now.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:18 AM

2,106 posts, read 6,632,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clorenzo17 View Post
Lakewood was an incredible place to grow up. I now live in Washington, DC but I always look back at my youth in Lakewood and am blessed to have grown up in such a hospitable, friendly place. Eventually, when I start a family, I want to find a place that similiar to Lakewood. Unfortanately, its way out of my price range in the DC Market.

What were your favorite experience in Lakewood? My favorite was riding my bike down the street to get Ice Cream at the Dairy Queen on Detroit, or going there after my Tee Ball games! Ahhh the memories!
Lakewood is a great area. The "Manhattan" of Cleveland... in terms of population per capita. In the DC area, Arlington is the 'richer' mans version of Lakewood, although more diverse.

Old 01-14-2008, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
Lakewood is a great area. The "Manhattan" of Cleveland... in terms of population per capita. In the DC area, Arlington is the 'richer' mans version of Lakewood, although more diverse.
Lakewood is to Cleveland like Queens is to Manhattan. Mostly working and middle class, Old World neighborhoods. Almost looks similar to areas in Jackson Hts. Of course that would mean that Cleveland is in any way similar to Manhattan...which of course it is not

Old 01-14-2008, 05:06 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,632,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
Lakewood is to Cleveland like Queens is to Manhattan. Mostly working and middle class, Old World neighborhoods. Almost looks similar to areas in Jackson Hts. Of course that would mean that Cleveland is in any way similar to Manhattan...which of course it is not
I was just speaking in terms of population density it's the closest we got!

Old 01-14-2008, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
I was just speaking in terms of population density it's the closest we got!
Oh, I know. I'm just splitting hairs

I think the Gold Coast is amazing. It's like a mini town in and of itself.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:58 AM

I just came across these pics in one of my folders. A bit before my time but back when Lakewood really was cool

Bring these things back!
Attached Thumbnails
Anybody grow up in Lakewood?-117th.jpg   Anybody grow up in Lakewood?-madison-hilliard.jpg  

Old 01-15-2008, 03:37 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
Great pics, twange.

There are a lot more to be found at the following website:

Yesterday's Lakewood
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland