Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 11:59 AM

4,672 posts, read 4,984,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Wow- interesting about Lolly the Trolley. And Asiatown is a good plan too. The last time I was there, I think they had the Cleveland Flea there, is that still happening?

I do get the image from talking to people around Boston that this area probably used to be a lot more "Clevelandy" back in the day. I follow the Dirty Old Boston facebook page, which always posts great stuff that I'm jealous I didn't experience. I still love Boston and have enjoyed life here, just when I think about all the money I spend on rent and the fact that I could have a downpayment already on a much bigger place, closer to the center in Cleveland, it's kinda hard to justify unless I can like double my salary here.
Someone else will know when the next one is, but I went to one when I was in town in April, and I recommend it highly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 09:38 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,681,843 times
I think everyone else has covered the usual suspects. I'll go parks specific, probably the "10 Natural Wonders" of the area are the

1. Holden Arboretum (will the tree canopy be finished? Best Mid April-Mid June, but still)
2. Geauga Observatory Park (clear night sky view unmatched within 2 hours of Boston, bug spray)
3. Chapin Forest (the skyline hike, probably the most prominent point in the area)
4. Edgewater Park (for prominent skyline view, nature close to city, and last Edgewater Live of year)
5. Seneca Caverns or Crystal Cave out towards Sandusky (one time thing, but not sure how many caves are in or near Boston)
6. Brandywine Falls, CVNP (quite honestly one of my favorite waterfalls)
7. Virginia Kendall Area, CVNP (rock formations to walk through, high views over the valley and rolling hills, great trees, bring bug spray)
8. Towpath Trail, good scenery of course, but just nice to bike along and hit Winking Lizard after.
9. Needles Eye Arch, Gibraltar Island, Put in Bay (natural arch you can kayak under)
10. Rocky River Reservation (Grand Canyon of the Midwest or nah, some place in the upper midwest instead? Either way, great trails close to the city)

Also, for a quaint but classy New England village style of bar hop, I recommend Downtown Willoughby, hit Olivor Twist and Willoughby Brew Co. before followed by seafood at Lure Bistro (alt: if night gets crazier, Mullarkey's and 1899 are mellow but cool, and then there's always Kleifeld's/Arabica if you're still there the next morning!)

Old 07-16-2015, 08:46 PM

172 posts, read 185,759 times
Good luck with that one. Cleveland has the fifth highest violent crime rate in America. This is also the same city where the three girls were held captive for 10 years. Where were the police?

Old 07-17-2015, 12:21 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,537,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow1990 View Post
Good luck with that one. Cleveland has the fifth highest violent crime rate in America. This is also the same city where the three girls were held captive for 10 years. Where were the police?
Police work has never been Cleveland's strong suit. They have 4,000 rape kits backlogged that have gone uninvestigated. The thing about Cleveland however is that all the violent crime is in specific pockets, and the crime stays there, never really venturing into the lives of actual contributing, tax paying, upstanding members of society. I lived in Cleveland area for 28 years and there was a better chance of winning the Ohio lottery than being a victim of violence.

Old 07-18-2015, 05:47 AM

11,066 posts, read 12,463,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow1990 View Post
We don't intend to move to Central and start dealing drugs. I feel that this should save us from almost all the risks of violent crime in Cleveland. I'm honestly more concerned about petty crime/property crime. It seems that even some of the nicer areas in the city suffer from this at a higher frequency than you'd think. But I've had stuff stolen from my house here in my Boston neighborhood, which is pretty friendly and safe overall, so I guess it's just a reality.

Old 07-18-2015, 07:30 PM

2,365 posts, read 4,377,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmodder View Post
Police work has never been Cleveland's strong suit. They have 4,000 rape kits backlogged that have gone uninvestigated. The thing about Cleveland however is that all the violent crime is in specific pockets, and the crime stays there, never really venturing into the lives of actual contributing, tax paying, upstanding members of society. I lived in Cleveland area for 28 years and there was a better chance of winning the Ohio lottery than being a victim of violence.
Very true.

Old 07-19-2015, 09:27 AM

3,973 posts, read 5,775,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
We don't intend to move to Central and start dealing drugs. I feel that this should save us from almost all the risks of violent crime in Cleveland. I'm honestly more concerned about petty crime/property crime. It seems that even some of the nicer areas in the city suffer from this at a higher frequency than you'd think. But I've had stuff stolen from my house here in my Boston neighborhood, which is pretty friendly and safe overall, so I guess it's just a reality.
I agree. Petty crime and larceny do often get overlooked almost everywhere. To me, a crime is a crime that should not happen whether it be someone breaking into my house to steal personal items or someone robbing me of $10 out on the street. Yet these types of crime happen everywhere and anywhere including places one doesn't typically think that crime could happen such as college campuses or quiet suburban residential streets. What matters more is the community response to such matters. If community leaders, neighbors, and the police act responsibly to investigate and apprehend perpetrators, then it gives a greater sense of safety in the community. If such folks act as if burglaries and break-ins don't matter much as if it's just another day in the [neighbor?]'hood, then you'd want to think twice about moving to that community.

I often read the police blotters in Cleveland.com for fun and you do get a lot of info from there but others have accused the Plain Dealer of bias against certain communities so maybe you should look at other sources as well. You can find out which communities, even blocks, suffer from high concentrations of larceny and how many perpetrators are caught.

Old 07-19-2015, 12:11 PM

119 posts, read 273,467 times
You could combine her love of the outdoors and music by going to see the Cleveland Symphony Orchestra at Blossom on Saturday night! It's a great show, you can bring your own blankets or lawn chairs to relax on the lawn, and you can bring your own picnic baskets in with your own wine!

Blossom Music Center

Old 07-19-2015, 12:39 PM

11,066 posts, read 12,463,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure Ray View Post
You could combine her love of the outdoors and music by going to see the Cleveland Symphony Orchestra at Blossom on Saturday night! It's a great show, you can bring your own blankets or lawn chairs to relax on the lawn, and you can bring your own picnic baskets in with your own wine!

Blossom Music Center
Yes! Brilliant. Thanks for hipping me to this!!

Old 07-19-2015, 04:19 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,681,843 times
Seconded on Blossom. Unfortunately it's a bit before fall leaf season, but depending on how "gogogo" she can be, between Sarah's Vineyard, Brandywine Falls, the hike/bike trails that direction (pack bug spray for hikes just in case), Hudson, Kent, Medina etc. You could easily kill at least a whole day if not more down that way. Another idea as far as combining outdoors/culture is the Rabbit Run Theatre over in Madison, plus there are a bunch of wineries out that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland