Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 04:46 PM

101 posts, read 127,722 times

Advertisements

Im likely considering a move into Ohio soon (and ive finally chosen to move to Ohio over Michigan) and was wondering with this post coming from a major NHL city in Buffalo:

Does Cleveland support the Columbus Blue Jackets or is they viewed as is hockey irrelevant in Northeast Ohio?

Or in terms of NHL, is it a diffusing point between different markets like Buffalo is with Baseball. Many people think that just because Buffalo is in NY, we are all Yankee or Mets fans, or that we support the Blue Jays (which is hilarious because many people around here dislike anything Canada sports wise) but the truth is; we are a diffusing point of many teams.....we do have many Yankee and Met fans here of course, but we have many Red Sox, Blue Jay Fans, Pirates fans, Tiger fans and we do have quite a few Cleveland Indian fans.

NHL wise, the Penguins, and the Sabres; are both 2 - 3 hours away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 04:57 PM

538 posts, read 659,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mttzakr87 View Post
Im likely considering a move into Ohio soon (and ive finally chosen to move to Ohio over Michigan) and was wondering with this post coming from a major NHL city in Buffalo:

Does Cleveland support the Columbus Blue Jackets or is they viewed as is hockey irrelevant in Northeast Ohio?

Or in terms of NHL, is it a diffusing point between different markets like Buffalo is with Baseball. Many people think that just because Buffalo is in NY, we are all Yankee or Mets fans, or that we support the Blue Jays (which is hilarious because many people around here dislike anything Canada sports wise) but the truth is; we are a diffusing point of many teams.....we do have many Yankee and Met fans here of course, but we have many Red Sox, Blue Jay Fans, Pirates fans, Tiger fans and we do have quite a few Cleveland Indian fans.

NHL wise, the Penguins, and the Sabres; are both 2 - 3 hours away.
It is more like baseball in Buffalo where people support various teams. Blue Jackets are #1, Sabres have a good following, so do the blackhawks and capitals (not really pens or wings due to rivalries in other sports)

Old 08-19-2015, 04:57 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,148,078 times
Lake Erie Monsters AHL just in case you were not aware.

Not sure otherwise. If I moved there, I'd stick to the Kings, but most likely would follow the Monsters.

Old 08-19-2015, 06:07 PM

Do you think the Blue Jackets would be bigger in the rest of the State of Ohio, including Cleveland if they were a more consistent winner through the years like multiple Stanley cup Playoff appearences and maybe a cup winner?
I think they've been much better recently, but the Rick Nash-Scott Howson-Doug MacClean days left a lot to be desired for.

I mean, that teams future is bright in the NHL and I think jarmo kekalainen has done a great job building up the talent on the Jackets, and last season they had some unfortunate injuries in their court, but I do think they are a team on the rise for sure

Old 08-19-2015, 06:12 PM

Yeah and it's a really great thing that Columbus is going to use the Monsters as their AHL affiliate. Some great young talent is going to be heading that way and hopefully it will help build a bigger fan base and a relationship in Cleveland on a similar way Buffalo and Rochester have built a fanbase and relationship

Old 08-19-2015, 06:37 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,443,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mttzakr87 View Post

Do you think the Blue Jackets would be bigger in the rest of the State of Ohio, including Cleveland if they were a more consistent winner through the years like multiple Stanley cup Playoff appearences and maybe a cup winner?
I think they've been much better recently, but the Rick Nash-Scott Howson-Doug MacClean days left a lot to be desired for.

I mean, that teams future is bright in the NHL and I think jarmo kekalainen has done a great job building up the talent on the Jackets, and last season they had some unfortunate injuries in their court, but I do think they are a team on the rise for sure
My perception is that Cleveland is an NBA town. Hockey fans mostly follow the Monsters. The Blue Jackets are on TV, so I guess if anybody is interested in going to an NHL game, they would go to Columbus. They perhaps could combine it with one of many winter sports at Ohio State -- top-notch collegiate hockey, basketball, wrestling, and other sports.

This may increase the interest in the Blue Jackets:

Blue Jackets' affiliate in minors to be in Cleveland | BlueJackets Xtra

Yet it's hard for any NHL team to compete with an NBA title contender featuring LeBron James and Kyrie Irving.

This article was written before LeBron returned to Cleveland, and apparently applies to only the Columbus market.

Blue Jackets improve on ice, but attendance, TV ratings among worst | BlueJackets Xtra

http://www.crainscleveland.com/artic...-tv-all-season

Old 08-19-2015, 07:23 PM

11,061 posts, read 12,456,973 times
Blue jackets are irrelevant everywhere except the arena district in Columbus (sometimes). Growing up a hockey player in Cleveland, even after the jackets came to Ohio in my youth, didn't seem like anyone cared at all about them. Knew some Sabres, wings, penguins, and some jackets fans, but me and my hockey friends followed the nhl in general and went to Cleveland lumberjacks or barons and now monsters games.

Right now, it's all lebron and Browns. Indians fans will come around if they ever start seriously competing.

Old 08-19-2015, 08:06 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,947,145 times
I am a hard core life long NHL fan (GO BRUINS!!!) I spent a lot of time in the northeast (New England, Phoenixville PA) before returning to SW Ohio in 1973 which was a culture shock.

Cleveland once had an NHL team in the late 1970s called the Barons but they did not last very long, Cincinnati had the Stingers in the WHA, they had Mark Messier, Robbie Ftorek and Mike Gartner on the roster. Now all they have is an ECHL team, Cincinnati likes to think of itself as some kind of great sports town but the lack of media coverage and support of the Cyclones would indicate otherwise.

The Blue Jackets may be a bit more exciting to watch now that they have picked up Soupy from the Bruins but it seems that every time the Jackets get a big name player they act like they don't want to be there, Adam Foote, Marion Gaborik and Jeff Carter come to mind. On the up side it is easy to get front row seats at Nationwide when your favorite team comes to town but overall Ohio is a frustrating place to be a hockey fan.

Old 08-19-2015, 09:16 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,148,078 times
Lived in Dayton in '06 and that is where my love for hockey began... Bombers! Living in So CAL, we began to hit KINGS games (3-4 per year). It's pretty exciting to be in Staples Center when they are winning (playoffs a couple of times). I can't stand watching NBA (sorry). However, Staples is LA, so it's pricey. At $80 for good seats, I can't afford a bunch of games and it's a 2 hr. drive.

Doubt NHL will get to CLE, but you never know. It's growing and getting noticed. AHL is good hockey since players move back and forth all the time. Plus, I bet it's not $80 for a good tix!

Old 08-19-2015, 10:45 PM

114 posts, read 125,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
My perception is that Cleveland is an NBA town. Hockey fans mostly follow the Monsters. The Blue Jackets are on TV, so I guess if anybody is interested in going to an NHL game, they would go to Columbus. They perhaps could combine it with one of many winter sports at Ohio State -- top-notch collegiate hockey, basketball, wrestling, and other sports.

This may increase the interest in the Blue Jackets:

Blue Jackets' affiliate in minors to be in Cleveland | BlueJackets Xtra

Yet it's hard for any NHL team to compete with an NBA title contender featuring LeBron James and Kyrie Irving.

This article was written before LeBron returned to Cleveland, and apparently applies to only the Columbus market.

Blue Jackets improve on ice, but attendance, TV ratings among worst | BlueJackets Xtra

http://www.crainscleveland.com/artic...-tv-all-season
Ive recently read an article stating the Cavilers get more than double the viewership than Columbus own Bluejackets on Fox Sports Ohio.... Alot of that is thanks to Lebron James but a case can be made that Cleveland pro teams are more popular than Columbus own pro teams....

It would be cool to see the Bluejacket win a playoff series against the Rangers, Red Wings, Bruins. Untill than the Jackets fanbase will remain minuscule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland