Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 06:58 PM

11,076 posts, read 12,497,254 times

Advertisements

I hate to say it, but living near projects typically keeps a neighborhood stagnant. I see this where I live. My neighborhood is generally safe, but of you look at the crime map, the vast majority of crime is near the projects. I wish it weren't so, but I can't dispute it really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 10:18 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,589,257 times
While it's a senior complex on paper, there are a lot of transient family and extended family members crashing at their relatives' apartments, and they're the ones causing the problems.

Old 09-08-2015, 05:58 AM

5,514 posts, read 9,513,851 times
Call me a bleeding heart liberal, (I am, I suppose) but I don't support the continued distillation of the classes, if it can be avoided.

Not living there, I'm only somewhat familiar with the Ohio City neighborhood, but I understand that its full potential for gentrification probably won't be met as long as there are "projects" nearby. But, IMO, Ohio City represents a happy medium. The neighborhood is still very popular, and the residents of the "projects" also have access to the same amenities that make the neighborhood popular, instead of being shunted away and forgotten about in a crime-ridden ghetto.

Old 09-08-2015, 07:49 AM

Nobody is "shunned" from living in or visiting Ohio city. Right now they are given something for no obvious reason. Let's not delude ourselves into thinking the resdidents of the projects are the ones responsible for the Ohio city Renaissance.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:13 AM

5,514 posts, read 9,513,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Nobody is "shunned" from living in or visiting Ohio city. Right now they are given something for no obvious reason. Let's not delude ourselves into thinking the resdidents of the projects are the ones responsible for the Ohio city Renaissance.
I never said they were.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
I never said they were.
Just saying that nobody, rich or poor, "deserves" to have access to things that other people created. overall, projects negatively impact a given area in terms of crime that will ultimately hold the neighborhood back in my opinion.

Old 09-08-2015, 02:38 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,494,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
While it's a senior complex on paper, there are a lot of transient family and extended family members crashing at their relatives' apartments, and they're the ones causing the problems.
What problems are those? Are the any stats on that? The reason I am asking is because it was one of the places in which I was considering moving to but felt it was too large. I would like to know though, for future reference, just what kind and how much crime is involved with this apartment complex.

Old 09-08-2015, 02:57 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,482,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
The projects were there long before Ohio City's gentrification.

Obviously, many believe that subsidized housing should be located anywhere besides in their communities, but it's carrying it to a further extreme when there is a belief that projects should be relocated when an area subsequently experiences gentrification.

The result is that the housing is concentrated in certain areas and becomes almost like a social bomb. This is compounded when Ohio slashes local government funds, especially to communities under distress.

Things are so bad in East Cleveland that surrounding communities such as Euclid are donating old fire and emergency equipment to East Cleveland rather than scrap it.

You don't see any problem???

Where would you put housing projects?

I don't understand any objection to senior housing. Also, most housing projects today eject anybody who engages in criminal activity.

Old 09-08-2015, 03:10 PM

2,365 posts, read 4,382,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
What problems are those? Are the any stats on that? The reason I am asking is because it was one of the places in which I was considering moving to but felt it was too large. I would like to know though, for future reference, just what kind and how much crime is involved with this apartment complex.
CMHA housing tends to be plagued by higher crime rates. They are patrolled by its own armed police force. That should tell you something.

Old 09-08-2015, 04:52 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,049,769 times
"Also, most housing projects today eject anybody who engages in criminal activity."

Well that's good, at least there's no problem in the projects any more.

My reality check a few replies ago...still stands. You want to delude yourself, well, you're not the only one.

OC/Tremont/W65 needs to be safer, are you denying that too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland