Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 01:41 PM

7 posts, read 5,916 times

Advertisements

We are in our early 50’s and relocating from Dallas with our daughter who is 25 and are looking for advice on where to live. We would prefer to buy something that is lower maintenance (condo/townhome) in an area where we can walk to a coffee shop or restaurants and meet people. We are open to both the East and West side but don’t want to be too far out in the suburbs. My daughter has some health issues so we need a house that is on the newer side.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 02:15 PM

2,365 posts, read 4,376,312 times
There are great places on both sides of the city. Can you be more specific?

Old 09-11-2015, 02:16 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,438,435 times
This thread may be helpful:

//www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...cleveland.html

If you would like to live near cultural amenities, perhaps check out University Circle or the downtown area.

Why are you relocating? If for a job, where is the job? What are your interests beyond what you've described? E.g., hiking, beaches, swimming, pro sports?

Check out the relocation thread at the top of the forum.

Downtown Willoughby might fit your bill if you want a suburb. There are some new condos right in the heart of the city there.

Old 09-11-2015, 02:44 PM

We like outdoor things - the lake, hiking, etc. We live in a suburb now but think we want something a little more urban for my daughter who is moving with us so that she can get out and meet people. We are relocating due to husband's job who is in sales so we can pretty much pick anywhere in Cleveland area.

I will check out the new condos in Willoughby!

Old 09-11-2015, 03:31 PM

How is Lyndhurst/Mayfield Heights area vs Rocky River/Lakewood?

Old 09-11-2015, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFloyd1 View Post
How is Lyndhurst/Mayfield Heights area vs Rocky River/Lakewood
Lyndhurst and Mayfield Hts. aren't on Lake Erie, likely have lesser mass transit connections to University Circle and downtown and probably wouldn't meet your desires as well as Lakewood and Rocky River, especially given the nearby Edgewater Park and the Rocky River Reservation of the Cleveland Metropark system, Rocky River Park, and Lakewood Park. Lakewood actually is the most densely populated city between NYC and Chicago.

Cleveland Metroparks

Parks

Community Wellness | The City of Lakewood, Ohio

Mayfield Hts. isn't far from the North Chagrin Reservation of the Cleveland Metroparks.

Willoughby is somewhat close to Lake Erie beach areas in Mentor and Fairport Harbor as well as many "Metroparks," county park systems that are semi-developed nature preserves and somewhat unique to Ohio. Check out the North Chagrin Reservation of the Cleveland Metroparks, Holden Arboretum, and the Lake Metroparks.

http://www.lakemetroparks.com/

Read about Mentor, Kirtland, and Lake Erie beaches here:

Cleveland: Day Trips - TripAdvisor

Holden Arboretum, one of the largest and best in the U.S., also isn't far from Willoughby.

A AAA Northeast Ohio map would be very handy.

Also check out the Cleveland Magazine "Rating the Suburbs" issue for 2015. It's not available online.

Rating the Suburbs 2015 | Article Archives | Cleveland Magazine - Your guide to the best of Cleveland

Old 09-12-2015, 09:05 AM

This thread may be helpful, especially post 8:

//www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...questions.html

If your daughter enjoys art, University Circle would have much to offer as it's one of the nation's top cultural districts with many events and activities. It has superb mass transit connections to downtown and PlayhouseSquare, one of the nation's best theater complexes.

It's not far from Gordon Park and the Cleveland Lakefront Nature Preserve.

Cleveland Lakefront Nature Preserve : Port of Cleveland

University Circle and the adjacent Little Italy certainly would be a superb "area where we can walk to a coffee shop or restaurants and meet people."

Old 09-12-2015, 09:13 AM

I believe these are the condos in downtown Willoughby that I was talking about. I toured a model unit a couple years ago in an open house. They are quite impressive, even with elevators (a great feature for aging persons), very large garages. They have no green space. Some units may not have the best views. If you find new condos/townhouses in as pleasant, walkable retail district, please let us know!

38063 Euclid Ave # 2, Willoughby, OH 44094 | Zillow

I would want to know why the HOA fee is $260/month for such a new complex with little landscaping needs. Hopefully, they are building up a well-funded capital replacement fund (roofs, roads, etc.), but I would be leery if a developer-controlled management company is pocketing a large management fee. I would never consider a condo where the owners have limited control over the HOA. I have a hunch that a big cost is insurance and outdoor lighting. The former should lower significantly your monthly insurance bill paid directly.

Last edited by WRnative; 09-12-2015 at 09:22 AM..

Old 09-12-2015, 10:30 AM

Thanks so much for all the info WRnative! I think you are right- after reading about the different areas RR/Lakewood area seems better suited to our needs, especially with the lake. I grew up in Northern Ohio, although I never spent much time in Cleveland so don't know much about it but spent summers at the lake so looking forward to moving back!

I have been reading about the tax abated condos and am definitely interested OhioCityMan. Our price range is in the $400's.

Thanks again for all the info!

Old 09-12-2015, 01:12 PM

3,415 posts, read 5,127,706 times
Look into Bratenahl as well, there are some nice condo and town home options there in your price range. It's a very nice, quiet little lake front community, with some beautiful architecture, and some of Cleveland's uber wealthy, along with upper, and upper middle class folks. It's only about 5-10 minutes from Downtown by freeway, and there is a bus line that runs through it. There's a beautiful country club called the Shoreby club there as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland