Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 08:46 AM

17 posts, read 38,070 times

Advertisements

Hello!
Anticipating a move to Cleveland in a few months. I am originally from Cleveland, but have spent the majority of the past 15 years in Northern Virginia. That being said, I am not familiar with many areas outside of where I grew up (Strongsville). I have also never considered Cleveland suburbs from a parent's perspective prior to now. Any info would be much appreciated!

A few guidelines as to what we are looking for:

*We have two children, ages 12 and 8. Exceptional schools are our highest priority. They currently attend public schools which consistently rank in the top 10 in Virginia and have excelled. Our 6th grader is currently taking Algebra 1 and receiving high school credit. We have pulled up the 2014 State of Ohio report card and have been loosely using it as a guideline to help us narrow our search. However, we know this hardly gives us an accurate depiction of everything a school district has to offer and welcome further insight.

*My husband will be working in Independence. Ideally, he'd prefer a commute no more than 25-30 minutes...especially after suffering through DC traffic for over a decade. We would also prefer to avoid Cuyahoga County, if possible.

*Our budget is between $400-600k. We currently live in a large golf community in NoVA. We'd love to have a larger lot in Ohio than we can get here, but without sacrificing the neighborhood feel. Between .50 and 1 acre would be ideal. We prefer to be in a area with young families, an abundance of youth sports leagues (wrestling and baseball for us) & activities, shopping and restaurants. I'm sure safety goes without saying. A small town feel would be a huge bonus.

College friends have highly recommended Hudson and Chagrin Falls. Both appear to rank high in education. We are finding more homes available in Chagrin that fall under the Kenston school district than the Chagrin Falls Exempted Village. We don't have more than the state report card info to differentiate between those two districts, though. Would appreciate further insight. Co-workers have also mentioned Solon, Avon and Avon Lake.

Any additional info on these areas would be great. While we appreciate the info given from friends, we are also taking into account that they only mentioned the areas they live in

Would love to hear of any additional places you may feel fit the bill as well.

THANKS!

Last edited by jcualum; 11-16-2015 at 09:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 09:19 AM

2,221 posts, read 4,396,914 times
Bainbridge (Chagrin Falls mailing address) and zoned for Kenston. Solon seems so commercial and more traffic although school is very good and larger than Kenston. Solon is also in Cuyahoga County. Property Taxes probably higher in Bainbridge if that is concern.

Old 11-16-2015, 11:52 AM

Thanks for the response, ZnGuy!
I haven't looked into Bainbridge, but will check it out. What I heard about Solon is very similar to what you mentioned...might be a decent backup, but I think there are better options out there.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:00 PM

201 posts, read 238,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcualum View Post
Hello!
Anticipating a move to Cleveland in a few months. I am originally from Cleveland, but have spent the majority of the past 15 years in Northern Virginia. That being said, I am not familiar with many areas outside of where I grew up (Strongsville). I have also never considered Cleveland suburbs from a parent's perspective prior to now. Any info would be much appreciated!

A few guidelines as to what we are looking for:

*We have two children, ages 12 and 8. Exceptional schools are our highest priority. They currently attend public schools which consistently rank in the top 10 in Virginia and have excelled. Our 6th grader is currently taking Algebra 1 and receiving high school credit. We have pulled up the 2014 State of Ohio report card and have been loosely using it as a guideline to help us narrow our search. However, we know this hardly gives us an accurate depiction of everything a school district has to offer and welcome further insight.

*My husband will be working in Independence. Ideally, he'd prefer a commute no more than 25-30 minutes...especially after suffering through DC traffic for over a decade. We would also prefer to avoid Cuyahoga County, if possible.

*Our budget is between $400-600k. We currently live in a large golf community in NoVA. We'd love to have a larger lot in Ohio than we can get here, but without sacrificing the neighborhood feel. Between .50 and 1 acre would be ideal. We prefer to be in a area with young families, an abundance of youth sports leagues (wrestling and baseball for us) & activities, shopping and restaurants. I'm sure safety goes without saying. A small town feel would be a huge bonus.

College friends have highly recommended Hudson and Chagrin Falls. Both appear to rank high in education. We are finding more homes available in Chagrin that fall under the Kenston school district than the Chagrin Falls Exempted Village. We don't have more than the state report card info to differentiate between those two districts, though. Would appreciate further insight. Co-workers have also mentioned Solon, Avon and Avon Lake.

Any additional info on these areas would be great. While we appreciate the info given from friends, we are also taking into account that they only mentioned the areas they live in

Would love to hear of any additional places you may feel fit the bill as well.

THANKS!
You may wish to consider Brecksville, Broadview Heights and Richfield. However, please note both Brecksville and Broadview Heights (same school district) are in Cuyahoga County.

Old 11-16-2015, 01:02 PM

Hi dr_j_planning, I am very familiar with the Brecksville/Broadview Hts. area. They are nice areas with good schools, but we would definitely like to place our focus outside of Cuyahoga County.
Hadn't thought of Richfield and will look into it!
Thanks!

Old 11-16-2015, 02:18 PM

37 posts, read 48,454 times
Hudson, Solon, Chagrin, Aurora, Twinsburg.

Old 11-16-2015, 02:41 PM

Thanks matt8506! Someone just mentioned Aurora to me today...looks like the schools are very good. I don't remember much of Aurora other than when they built the outlet mall...so obviously, nothing important. Any other info about that area that you could share?
Thanks again!

Old 11-16-2015, 02:46 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,283,112 times
Why outside of Cuyahoga County?

FYI, Chagrin Falls is located within Cuyahoga County.

Old 11-16-2015, 03:13 PM

Hi Clevelander17, simply because of the taxes. We do realize Chagrin Falls is in Cuyahoga, but are keeping it as a possibility for the time being because it fits our criteria in all the other ways. We'd definitely prefer to find something in Summit County if possible.

I should also mention that my husband's family is in Columbus. It would be nice to cut down on the drive to visit them.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:11 PM

37 posts, read 48,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcualum View Post
Thanks matt8506! Someone just mentioned Aurora to me today...looks like the schools are very good. I don't remember much of Aurora other than when they built the outlet mall...so obviously, nothing important. Any other info about that area that you could share?
Thanks again!
I can't be a lot of help as I just moved to Aurora 2 months ago. So far I love it. It had everything we need in a close proximity. Solon is right down the street. Chagrin is near by. A 15 minute ride to Legacy Village. We were torn between Hudson, Solon and Aurora and ended up here and I think we would have been happy in any of those areas. Our biggest selling point is that we were able to get more for our dollar here compared to the others and still get good schools/community. My only complaint is that it takes me a bit to get to rt 8 for my commute and aside from shopping and the water park there isn't a ton to do. At least that I've found yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland